The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Warmblood stallion suggestions

Suggestions for warmblood stallion for my mare. She is 16.2, extremely athletic, I bred her to my TB who is 15.2 and she had a gorgeous, leggy, tall filly in 2009. 16.0 to 17 hands is fine, prefer jumper bloodlines. Stud fee $1000 or less LFG. She's got a great hind end, toes out slightly, but did not pass that on. I've browsed stallion auctions and I am uncertain about frozen semen, thoughts? Any stallions people really like? I like Disconto which is right down the road and I can get a breeding off the SHN auction last i checked, but I need to pay bills before bidding on a season and I am not planning to breed until April or May. I am in central VA and would like to stay close.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

See our stallion Equinox at www.serenityfarmsinc.com

We are in Michigan but Equinox is in Lexington, Kentucky for his showing, training and breeding duties.

What discipline? Hunter, jumper, dressage???

Jumper. What happened to the Selle Francais in the US? The registry where I had one of my old broodmares apporved is gone.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

The North American branch of the Selle Francais registry is defunct. You can still register with France however.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilltopfarmva View Post
    Suggestions for warmblood stallion for my mare. She is 16.2, extremely athletic, I bred her to my TB who is 15.2 and she had a gorgeous, leggy, tall filly in 2009. 16.0 to 17 hands is fine, prefer jumper bloodlines. Stud fee $1000 or less LFG. She's got a great hind end, toes out slightly, but did not pass that on. I've browsed stallion auctions and I am uncertain about frozen semen, thoughts? Any stallions people really like? I like Disconto which is right down the road and I can get a breeding off the SHN auction last i checked, but I need to pay bills before bidding on a season and I am not planning to breed until April or May. I am in central VA and would like to stay close.
    When you say you want to stay close do you mean you want to live cover? That would make a difference since most stallions don't offer that. If your doing AI I like Cielo B, he won the jumping portion of the 70 day test by a huge margin and he's showing at WEF.

Maybe someone with the Belguim warmblood registry can answer this but I think it agreed or worked something out to waive in or recognize the NASFA approval of mares ? (I did not think that was time limited....at least I hope not.)

Equinox is certainly lovely!

More information regarding the mare (or conformation photo) would be helpful, including her pedigree. There are a number of good stallions that meet your criteria, but matching your mare would be the first order of business. Do you want a proven producer or does it matter?
    PennyG

Have you considered Silvio? He's not approved, but is in Middleburg. I believe his AI fee is $1000 with a $200 booking fee. I believe he is also offered live cover and his fee is $1200. He is 17H, half brother to Shutterfly.

As long as your mare isn't a maiden she should be fine...he's rather well endowed according to my trainer. She has a 2 1/2 year old by him out of a TB mare and a 2010 foal on the way by him with her Trak/TB mare.

Default Scimitar

I am offering Scimitar this season at half price which is $750. Don't know if west PA is too far. This is a great deal. The website is www.enavantstud@yahoo.com

This first one is not a conformation shot, but it just shows how sweet she is with her first foal.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...8&id=664978084

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...id=65661158084

If these don't work let me know and I'll try to get them on here another way.

Anyhow, I want as little TB blood as possible since she is a TB, want something with strong jumper lines as I will be keeping this one for me.
    She is very easy to breed live cover, I handle my stallion and I have my working students hold the mares. When she's in, she WANTS to be bred.
    I don't want to have to ship semen across country, so mid atlantic region is best. I have a busy show and race season and it will be harder to coordinate shipped semen from a greater distance in my opinion and I am used to live cover where I send my mare off or breed them here to the farm stallions.
    Equinox is lovely and I just love SFs.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Equinox is registered BWP. He is showing dressage now both for training reasons and to complete his stallion requirements. He has very nice gaits and gets lots of looks at dressage shows. Everyone comments how nice and pretty he is at shows and most people do not guess he is a stallion (he is very respectful and workmanlike). He gets 8's and 9's on his gaits even at big shows. He is more talented in jumping though and that is where he will end up in the end. He got a score of 87% for jumping at his stallion approval. He is very careful with lovely form and great scope. It will be exciting to see him jumping a course at a show! His mind is awesome, so easy. He has the engine and energy for a professional but really a nervous rider could get on too and he would be a gentlemen. He is just easy and fun to be around. Hope this helps!

Name is Mighty Spirit by Mighty Forum (GB) out of Succubus by Cozzene. Ok, once I decide on a stallion, I will want to get her approved with that registry so I can get the foal approved, right? I am a TB breeder, so this year I am delving into some WB's. I was given so generously a lovely older SF mare named Elley Bon (Geronimo D x Bonarose by Bonjour) to breed to my TB stallion since his oldest crop of 3 yr olds are soo lovely. The are calm and quite and athletic. Three are headed to the show ring and one owned by a client his going back to the racetrack. So I wanted to try him on a WB mare. She has her SF papers, is it possible to get this foal approved or does my stallion need some sort of approval? Now this is all hypothetical since I won't know what this foal looks like until next year and if it is a horrible mover I won't even try again let alone present it anywhere.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

I am a little confused about whether you are talking about one mare or two mares. You mention a mare with SF papers, then you mention a mare by your TB stallion.

A mare with SF papers could theoretically be approved for breeding by several WB registries - Oldenburg and Belgian WB are two that come to mind. Once she is approved, her foals by stallions also approved by that registry would be eligible for registration with the registry.

The mare by the TB stallion would not be eligible for regular registration papers with most WB registries because the stallion was not approved for WB breeding. You could probably to get her approved into the lowest mare book of a WB registry, but she would not be eligible for a higher book with most of the mainstream registries. Even if she goes into the lowest book, her foal by approved WB stallions (approved by that registry) would be eligible for registration papers.

So the upshot is that if you want any kind of registration papers for the foal, you will need to get your mare inspected by a WB registry and then breed to a stallion approved by that registry.

A couple jumper-bred stallions with $1000 stud fees...Alabrez, Banderas, Baron Van Gogh.

You are not that far away if you would like to look at Argosy personally. There are several of his offspring (TBx's) her as well. Most breed to him for the h/j market. Jumping fools and very elegant as well.

Unfortunately, right now our website is down for reconstruction, updating.

Nice mare and nice pedigree. From the photo, it looks like she could use a bit of improvement in her neck -- it looks a bit short without alot of shape. Could be the angle of the photo. You could use frozen and have it available whenever you need it instead of fresh that you must order when she is ready. In your area, there are certainly a number of stallions available. What about one of Talley's (Triad Hanoverians) in PA. I have a Corlando gelding coming 3 that is going to be magnificent and Corlando is available frozen (deceased) but sure had the jumping bloodlines. She also has Black Tie Affair who is siring nice foals. I would also be checking the stallion season auctions for a good deal and alot of choices. For jumping bloodlines, you would probably find the most with the Holsteiners, Dutch and Belgium.
    Good luck!
    PennyG

Just to clarify if a mare was approved by the selle francais I am assuming she had some type of papers--and I thought the Belguim warmblood assoc was accepting the NASFA " refugees" so to speak and would not make you get the mare re-inspected but would accept the mare as approved for breeding w them because she was approved with the NASFA (which would save you a couple dollars in inspection fees if you found a stallion in that book you liked.)

I think Partick Cleric is handling all the questions/paperwork for the SF in the USA.... patrick.clerin@haras-nationaux.fr so you might try him w your questions about a foal by xx out of your SF mare.(Maybe you can get cheval papers?)

I think there was a SF stallion called fakir rouge in Vir that was bred for jump. ...Special Memories is approved as SF-factuer A and is in md. I am sure there are more I just cant think of them right now!
    Oh--Virgina tech has a SF stallion!

(And the Belguim folks are having there stallion auction right now:-)
    (my apologizes if I have mixed up your goals for the two mares.

Good luck w your coming foal!

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    Nice mare and nice pedigree. From the photo, it looks like she could use a bit of improvement in her neck -- it looks a bit short without alot of shape. Could be the angle of the photo. You could use frozen and have it available whenever you need it instead of fresh that you must order when she is ready. In your area, there are certainly a number of stallions available. What about one of Talley's (Triad Hanoverians) in PA. I have a Corlando gelding coming 3 that is going to be magnificent and Corlando is available frozen (deceased) but sure had the jumping bloodlines. She also has Black Tie Affair who is siring nice foals. I would also be checking the stallion season auctions for a good deal and alot of choices. For jumping bloodlines, you would probably find the most with the Holsteiners, Dutch and Belgium.
    Good luck!
    PennyG
    Totally agree about the neck and she is not a flat kneed mover, but she is not a horrible one either. So definitely want more in the front end as I am happy with the hind end. This mare can jump!! I will look into the stallions you suggested. Have to miss most of the stallion season auctions since I need to pay off some vet bills, money won't be available for stud fees until this spring.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    Just to clarify if a mare was approved by the selle francais I am assuming she had some type of papers--and I thought the Belguim warmblood assoc was accepting the NASFA " refugees" so to speak and would not make you get the mare re-inspected but would accept the mare as approved for breeding w them because she was approved with the NASFA (which would save you a couple dollars in inspection fees if you found a stallion in that book you liked.)

I think Partick Cleric is handling all the questions/paperwork for the SF in the USA.... patrick.clerin@haras-nationaux.fr so you might try him w your questions about a foal by xx out of your SF mare.(Maybe you can get cheval papers?)

I think there was a SF stallion called fakir rouge in Vir that was bred for jump. ...Special Memories is approved as SF-factuer A and is in md. I am sure there are more I just cant think of them right now!
    Oh--Virgina tech has a SF stallion!

(And the Belguim folks are having there stallion auction right now:-)
    (my apologizes if I have mixed up your goals for the two mares.

Good luck w your coming foal!
    Yes, the 2nd mare, Elley Bon, I listed is registered with NASFA and I have her registration booklet. She is 18 this year and I wll be breeding her to my TB Noles. So, if the foal is nice enough and especially if it is a filly, I was wondering if I would be able to present it to any warmblood registry because of her dam's registration? Thanks for the email, I will send one off and inquire.
    My TB mare, Mighty Spirit, is the one I am seeking a warmblood mate for. And I do love the SF's.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com