The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Balls - Harmless or Harmfull for a dog?

I could wack myself for not paying more attention. I'm still new to dogs and clearly need to do a better job at checking everything is dogproof, not within reach etc.

Anway, whilst mucking out my stalls, I had my new dog free in a small area I had fenced off inside my barn, I thought I had closed all bins, put away treats etc. I heard him lick/chew, but I thought he was having fun with his rawhide , somehow he pulled an Uncle Jimmy's hanging ball off the cupboard and probably licked/chewed it for about 10 mins. From looking at it, he may have ingested about the size of a very small cherry tomato or large grape.
    I just checked the ingredients :

ground corn, sugar, corn syrup, oats, soybean meal, soybean hulls, wheat middings, vegetable oil refinery, lipid, corn germ meal, mollases products, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, salt, brewers yeast, sodium bentonite, vegetable oil, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D2 supplement, d-alpha tocopharol acetate, ribiflavin supplement, thiamine, mononitrate, artificial flavors, L-Lysine, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium paniothenate, niacin supplement, menadione sodium, bisulfrie complex(source of vitamin K activity) choline chloride, manganous oxide, ferrous sulfate, colbalt carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc oxide, potassium iodide, artificial colors, and sodium selenite.

Anything dangerous/poisoneous in there for him?

I feel really bad now. So far he seems totally normal, but it only happened 2 hours ago, so he may still go sick?

I suggest some air freshener.

When my dogs eat a bit of grain they tend to..... fart. A lot.

He'll survive. Just be glad he ate it *before* the horse did.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Okay, I don't mind the farting.
    Does this mean he could bloat?
    I'm just reading up on bloat, seems quite serious .

I do not know a whole lot about dogs but i have learned a lot of what they can or can't eat. Our min-pin will eat anything!

I browsed the ingredients and it doesn't look like anything that will hurt him. Not something you want to feed him every day. but I don't thing it will hurt him.

If it makes you feel any better... I was letting some cinnamon rolls rise on the oven door and walked out of the kitchen for a min. Next we came in and FOUR of these raw cinnamon rolls were gone. at the time they were about 3 inched in diameter. and I bet they rose more in her stomach. Our little 11lb min-pin ate them. she was ok, REALLY FAT for while. and vomited a few times. but she was ok.

Dogs are usually hearty animals. I am sure he will be ok. You are not abad owner, we all make mistakes.

God Bless!

Oh gosh, that does sound like a lot of cinnamon rolls of a dog.
    Thx for sharing, helps me feel a tiny bit better.
    For sure I will pay way more attention to where he is & what his mouth is doing from now.

I wouldnt worry about it at all ...

Most dogs go around cleaning up the grain on the floor the horses spilled and that can be anything from oats to sweet feed to beet pulp to pellets to you name it

He'll be just fine ...

Sadly uncle jimmy's hangin balls has similar ingredients to "grocery brand" dog foods. Nothing scary, but if he starts itching, you'll know he's allergic to corn!

I agree be cglad he got to it instead of yoru horse! I love the concept but hate those ingredients.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Sadly uncle jimmy's hangin balls has similar ingredients to "grocery brand" dog foods. Nothing scary, but if he starts itching, you'll know he's allergic to corn!
    Or grain in general! I have no idea how my dogs survive coming to the barn with me! I have one allergic to grain and one allergic to just about everything! And they are wonderful scavengers! Don't feel bad at all, my 3 have gotten into just about everything at the barn. While I do try to be careful, I typically feel that horses have much more digestive sensitivities than dogs do.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

There's nothing on there that should hurt him, and bloat tends to occur mostly in large breeds (though it can happen to ANY dog!) and involve larger quantities of food or gulping large amounts of air--a small piece of Uncle Jimmy's should not hurt him.

However, if he's like my dogs....yeah, air freshener, maybe a gas mask....

There's nothing in those ingredients that will do real damage. He will stink up the house and he very possibly will wake you up at 3am either begging to go outside, or because he didn't make it... but he will be just fine.

I have a little 10 pound dog that goes to the barn with me all the time. He's eaten grain, horse manure, hoof clippings, and dead animals (of course makes sure to roll in them first...)

He's never been sick. He vomited once after eating a dead bird... but aside from that and me needing to keep the car windows down on the way home, for various reasons, he has been completely unharmed.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Uncle Jimmy is a member of this site. You could ask him directly.

Thanks everyone for reassuring me.

So far so good. He woke me up this morning at 4.30am to go potty, but no diahrrea, just normal potty and amazingly no smelly farts overnight, eventhough I had expected that.

He seems totally normal & happy this morning.

I'm so glad. I could already see myself down the vet's office overnight after it happened, but so far it doesn't seem to have harmed him.

I agree with horses getting to it. I actually stopped giving my horses the ball (that's why it was on the cupboard), coz if I hang it up to swing they have no interest, if I hang up against the wall.... well you can surely guess, it'll be finished in under an hour. So I'm not going to buy them anymore.

He should be ok depending on his size etc. I would watch him for signs of pancreatitis though just in case.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Thx Grataan, another thing to google for, never heard of such a thing. Waw, I'm certainly on a learning curve ......

He's a 75lbs greyhound. I'm currently reading "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies", so hopefully I'll soon be properly educated.

Oh in that case the small amount you described shouldn't do much of anything (if he were a chihuahua or other small dog maybe then). I'd not worry unless he is prone to digestive upsets or has a history of pancretitis.

Maybe he just wanted some extra special attention lol.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

As long as he's not allergic to grain/corn he should be fine. If you don't know if he is or not, you'll know soon. If he's not doing something obvious like throwing up, he'll start to itch a lot.

My BO's dog is allergic to grain and yet she insists on eating any random bits of feed she can find in the aisle. As a result, she often itches her coat quite thin on her stomach and lower back. It's totally treatable though.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Quote Originally Posted by katie+tru View Post
    As long as he's not allergic to grain/corn he should be fine. If you don't know if he is or not, you'll know soon. If he's not doing something obvious like throwing up, he'll start to itch a lot.

My BO's dog is allergic to grain and yet she insists on eating any random bits of feed she can find in the aisle. As a result, she often itches her coat quite thin on her stomach and lower back. It's totally treatable though.
    of course, what's bad for us tastes extra special good!

Glad the pup is ok
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?