The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When asked if her family approves of her life as an equestrian show-jumper, Georgina Bloomberg replies, "I'm doing what I love to do. It doesn't really matter to me what the hell they think." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The article is here. It's salon.com and you need a 'day pass' to read it. it's free and all you do is click on an ad, it takes no time. the article is really interesting--it focuses on tv featuring super-rich teenagers--the simple life, rich girls, and hbo's born rich. i guess georgiana is in the hbo special and she says the above quote. i think it's a bit pretensious of her, and if i had the opportunities she had i'd kiss the ground my parents walked on. on the other hand, i have to assume that it's impossible for her to imagine what it would be like to have to work for money--not because you want to, but because you need to. i could be wrong, but i don't think so. so, i can't really blame her for it. opinions? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When asked if her family approves of her life as an equestrian show-jumper, Georgina Bloomberg replies, "I'm doing what I love to do. It doesn't really matter to me what the hell they think." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The article is here. It's salon.com and you need a 'day pass' to read it. it's free and all you do is click on an ad, it takes no time. the article is really interesting--it focuses on tv featuring super-rich teenagers--the simple life, rich girls, and hbo's born rich. i guess georgiana is in the hbo special and she says the above quote. i think it's a bit pretensious of her, and if i had the opportunities she had i'd kiss the ground my parents walked on. on the other hand, i have to assume that it's impossible for her to imagine what it would be like to have to work for money--not because you want to, but because you need to. i could be wrong, but i don't think so. so, i can't really blame her for it. opinions? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Ah yes, same as the 'Born Rich' documentary from Jamie Johnson but nothing new as far as her statements go regarding the subject.

You may think you would kiss the ground your parents walk on, but none of us can ever fully understand eachother's family relationships so perhaps that statement does not fit so well in this case.

--------------------------
    I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
    -- John Keats
    --------------------------
    I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
    -- John Keats

I read an article she wrote on Towerheads (prior to it becoming a subscription-only service) and I was in a bit of a disagreement with what she said. She insisted that since she didn't have the time to groom and tack up her own horses, it justified her not doing it. "Privileged? Yes. Spoiled? No," she maintained, but I was left thinking that probably she had time to take care of one horse in the time that it takes her to ride the several that she owns.

On the flip side, I think that if I had that kind of money, I might pay people to tack up my horses too.

-- WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    BUSH IS PRESIDENT --

Not sure why you posted that article other then to start up a controversy over the rich and the poor. You don't have a clue what her family life is like so I think its a little pretensious of you to be judging her by one statement she made in some interview.

I think Georgina is a gracious and kind young woman, not to mention a wonderfully talented equestrian. As a 16 year old in this sport, it is sometimes difficult to witness children half my age having everything done for them, hell, its difficult to watch people 2 or 3 times my age with grooms following them around all day. However, in Georgina's case, i feel she obviously has a strong foundation of horsemanship on which she is able to develop her potential to its highest degree. IMO, there is nothing wrong with using your fortunate finances to further your talent, and thats all she seems to be doing. I dont think there is a single member of this BB that would HONESTLY say if they were given millions more to use at their discretion, they would not invest a substantial percentage of that money towards riding and showing. Georgina has been involved in this sport for years, and her and her family have contributed greatly, both financially and otherwise, to its advancement, and that is nothing to question or look down upon. She may have grooms for her horses and may spend a lot of money on her interest as a rider, but she's doing what she loves to do and quite frankly- she's damn good. Again, this is my HUMBLE opionion, but there are VERY few COTH members that are in any position to question where, when, or how much money she or any other Bloombergs apend on horses. Also, there are NO BBers that have the right to question her relationship with her family or financial connections to her parents. The only evidence any of us have to go by is the above quote, so take it or leave it in that context, don't pick it apart and analyze it for more than it's worth.

Sugartowne II- "French Fry"
    Jean Beau De Rennes- "Jake"
    http://community.webshots.com/album/86540446bdOIrj
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Beautiful, FrenchFry.

While it is easy to sometimes feel jealous, which even some ADULTS on here are displaying, it's important to remember that either way she is an extremely polished, intelligent young lady with excellent horsemanship skills.

- L.

Je suis un salamander. J'entrerai dans le feu mais je ne brûlerai pas.

I watched the documentary on HBO the other night. If someone was just watching it, who knows nothing of the horse world, she might have come across as very snotty. That said, after reading about her on Towerheads, knowing what other people have said about her, she is just a girl trying to be her own person, excel at something that she is very good at and unfortunately does not have the emotional support to go with the financial support. While I grew up having my dad hold my horses at shows and put my ribbons on the front of his shirt, she probably just wanted her dad to come to a few to watch. If he goes now, she has to wonder if it is for political publicity or to watch his very talented daughter? Sure, I would love to have her money but without the emotional support I think that I would rather do it on my shoe string budget. Good for her for doing what she loves and for being in the documentary, that took a lot of guts but maybe she could have used a little more tact with her comments.

[This message was edited by frisbee32 on Oct. 30, 2003 at 09:17 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MellowM:
    Not sure why you posted that article other then to start up a controversy over the rich and the poor. You don't have a clue what her family life is like so I think its a little pretensious of you to be judging her by one statement she made in some interview.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If she didn't want people to discuss and comment then she shouldn't have given them the quote in the first place. I'm sure she had the chance to decline an interview, I don't think the Johnson and Johnson kid forced her to participate.

I'm sure she is a nice person, I couldn't give a rats patoot about her family life or relationships, HOWEVER I was throw by how flippantly she states IN A PUBLIC INTERVIEW how she could basically not care less what the people who are financing her career think about what she's doing. My only real concern with this quote was that it probably could have been stated with a little more tact since she knew it was going to be broadcast on TV, but then again if that's how she really feel then I guess that's how she should have said it!
    - - - - - -
    "We learn from history that we do not learn from history." ~ George Bernard Shaw
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

I think her statement reflects what is usually going through the head of someone her age, although it does sound flippant. I thought the same thing when I was in my late teens and early twenties, although I was working and self supporting. I was going to do what I was going to do, and I didn't really care if my parents approved or not.

However, 15 years later, I now know how wise and caring my parents are. Youth is wasted on the youth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash44:
    I I thought the same thing when I was in my late teens and early twenties, although I was working and self supporting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is where I think the issue lies, IMHO you were self-supporting yourself so you could think/say whatever you wanted!! I guess I just think that if one is still being supported by parents/family whatever, they should at least be respectful of that, even if they really couldn't give a rat's patoot.

- - - - - -
    "We learn from history that we do not learn from history." ~ George Bernard Shaw
    - - - - - -

I saw the HBO special. I too thought she has a flip attitude about what has been given to her. I really don't care that she is wealthy or what her relationship is with her father but it is often made public knowledge by her.
    What gets me is that these "priveledged" people call themselves horsemen. Do they really know their horses? You often learn more about them on the ground? Do they know what makes then nicker? What makes them made? Do they know if their horse likes to roll to the left but rest on his right? These are things they have to clue of. This is the privedge. This is the sign of a true horseman. Not to mention...I'd like to see them ride a green bean or an OTTB. You never see that. They ride made up very nice horses.
    I think of myself as somewhat priveledged and could have a groom do whatever but I would never trade caring for my own horse. I enjoy taking that extra time. I think that makes our partnership all that stronger.
    Don't flame me...this is just MY little opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Posted by CGR:

I'm sure she is a nice person, I couldn't give a rats patoot about her family life or relationships, HOWEVER I was throw by how flippantly she states IN A PUBLIC INTERVIEW how she could basically not care less what the people who are financing her career think about what she's doing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is exactly how i feel about it--i'm sure she's a perfectly nice person and i KNOW she's a great rider with tons of finesse (i've seen her go in a GP in person). and no, mellowm, i'm not just posting it to start controversy http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif if i wanted to do that, i'd post about how i have orgasms while riding. actually i wouldn't, because that's just tasteless. anyway, i don't understand why 'controversial' subjects can't make great discussions if they stay civil. like i said, i'm not calling georgina a bad person, just questioning her attitude in this specific quote.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StormCloud:
    I saw the HBO special. I too thought she has a flip attitude about what has been given to her. I really don't care that she is wealthy or what her relationship is with her father but it is often made public knowledge by her.
    What gets me is that these "priveledged" people call themselves horsemen. Do they really know their horses? You often learn more about them on the ground? Do they know what makes then nicker? What makes them made? Do they know if their horse likes to roll to the left but rest on his right? These are things they have to clue of. This is the privedge. This is the sign of a true horseman. Not to mention...I'd like to see them ride a green bean or an OTTB. You never see that. They ride made up very nice horses.
    I think of myself as somewhat priveledged and could have a groom do whatever but I would never trade caring for my own horse. I enjoy taking that extra time. I think that makes our partnership all that stronger.
    Don't flame me...this is just MY little opinion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you kidding me!??? How do you know what they know about their horses! Just because someone has money now they are not allowed to be a horseman! That is crazy. And hell yea they ride those horses.. just because you don't see it happen, I guess it never happend. right?
    You have got to be a little more realistic here.. if you have billions of dollars do you really think you are going to try to do a grand prix on a hard to ride crappy horse with no talent and scope, or would you invest your money a little more wisely and buy a made (ask any grand prix rider, you don't want to be jumping into a 5'6'' tight in and out on a horse that hardly comes back when you ask it, or a green one with little confidence that won't move up when you need it to) horse that will help you attain your goal http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

Your kind of sour grapes is exactly what the people were talking about in their interviews on that HBO special. Hmm I guess just because they have money they can't ever do anything for themselves.
    Sorry but I am a little too sick of people always saying I did no work to get what I have and I only win because I have expensive, nice horses... think about how you would be in that same position. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

~BenRidin
    ~BenRidin

PLEASE God do not let this turn into an arguement about how hard rich people work for what they had, and let it stick to the topic of how flippant it appeared Georgina sounded in her comment about how she doesn't care if her money train approves of what she does! ! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif

- - - - - -
    - - - - - -

PLEASE God send rain to CA to help those rich/poor people who are losing their homes to the wildfires. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif Your time would be better spent wishing your neighbors good fortune. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Best wishes all.

Melzy - I know that there are plenty that are in crisis right now and are less fortunate than a good amount of us, but can't we have a civilized discussion about something some of us have different opinions on.

And I think we all realize what is going on in CA and I'm not sure how this thread works to diminish the tragedy of that. . . . .

- - - - - -
    - - - - - -

Whoa Ben...you read too much into my post. You're right. I don't know anything about Ms. Bloomberg...what she does with her time is her biz.
    My statement was only my observation from MY world. I think one does what they want in terms of financial position and involvement with horses. There are some (that I observe on a daily basis) that miss huge opportunuties to be involved with their horses because they feel that they are above that and just want to show up and ride. This isn't about Georgina. I've never met her, never seen her in person, don't know anything about her history. I am only recapping my actual observations of what I see at my barn.
    I have no sour grapes. Like I said, I have the option to have someone do all for me. It just saddens me that these are often kids. I wish they would want to be active in the daily care of their horses. That will make them horsemen not just riders.
    This topic has been discussed many times in the past.

And yes, my heart goes out to the people of California. Today on the news they showed a dairy cow wondering the highway. That is so sad that Mother Nature does this. But ultimately humans must have done something to not properly care for her.

Wow BenRidin! Calm down! You totally missed StormCloud's point. Her point was it doesn't matter if you have 100 million dollars or not. If you just get on and ride, then hand your horse over to a groom and leave, you are missing an oppurtunity to forge a realtionship with your horse on the ground. I don't think you would disagree with that, no? Does it make you less of an effective rider? Of course not. But time and time again I have seen very good riders not even know how to put a saddle on their own horse.(Actually saw this happen one year at medal finals) Does that make them less of a horseman? Absolutely!

I agree that wealthy bashing has become something of a national past time (sad considering this country was founded on the principal of the 'American Dream') but I really think you missed StormCloud's point.

"I'm not going to have reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president."
    -- Hilary Clinton
    The government is best which governs least.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Ash!