The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

I know that there are those bits out there that alot of people seem to use on thier strong/heavy warmbloods ( pellum, etc.) which ones have you found to work the best and be most effective?

"WHats the point in wearing your favorite space ship underwear if no body gets to see them?" - calvin and hobbes
    \"Those ole\' wrinkles ain\'t nothin to be scared of. Theyre just a product of time and true love\" - Diamond Rio

*Black Tie Affair*
    *Good Tyme Charlie*
    *Tymeless*

I know that there are those bits out there that alot of people seem to use on thier strong/heavy warmbloods ( pellum, etc.) which ones have you found to work the best and be most effective?

"WHats the point in wearing your favorite space ship underwear if no body gets to see them?" - calvin and hobbes
    \"Those ole\' wrinkles ain\'t nothin to be scared of. Theyre just a product of time and true love\" - Diamond Rio

*Black Tie Affair*
    *Good Tyme Charlie*
    *Tymeless*

Though my horse is generally a pretty simple ride, he can get strong when he wants to, and tends to be heavier in the bridle. He goes in a medium shanked rubber mullenmouth pelham.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own -Grateful Dead

Although it's not the "nicest" bit, when my horse is having "one of those days," we use a hanovarian pelham. Unless you have really soft hands though, don't use it-- it's a broken pelham with a port and copper rollers.

Charlotte
    Charlotte

what about a segunda? they can be very harsh but sometimes work well if you are careful.
    you can also get them in a dee so they look nicer than a pelham

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Sometimes the bit isn't the answer...

I do have one that I show in a slow twist, but his child uses a short-shanked rubber pelham for the big eqs.

Most people who go around fanning the flames of crises are themselves the problem.

http://groups.msn.com/WolfdenFarm/shoebox.msnw
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

I use a three ring elevator snaffle bit with the reins on the bottom ring on both my big warmblood and my little thoroughbred...My warmblood is not really strong, but can be some days...I like to have some control when jumping 4'3-4'6. My thoroughbred has always been strong and we put that on him and he is as broke as could be.

Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?
    Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?

Make sure you need it first. If the horse goes for someone else fine in a snaffle, then a bigger bit is not the answer.

My horse goes in a jimmy williams elevator, but you gotta have good hands. It would be easy to really hurt a horse with it or pull a horse over.

My horse pulls like a train. The bnt I take lessons from was like "Why are you suffering like this" and slapped this thing on him. I was like "whoa I can slow down! and stop!" Miracle bit for my horse, although he still gets strong in it sometimes, he can't pull my arms off anymore. He is a freak http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Bold as black type font, baby!
    Centre Equestre de la Houssaye
    ---WHX---

Happy Mouth 3 Ring Elevator (and if you are going to do the Hunters, Myler has a twisted bit with a center copper roller that works well.

Make sure you do a lot of flat work that makes his sit up and not get heavy in the front. Lateral work and trasitions are great!

~*~Nattie~*~
    *Maryland Clique*
    *Non-GPA owners Clique!*
    *Warmblood (Hanoverian) Clique*

I have an Irish Warmblood who, although educated to the death on the flat by some of the top dressage and showjumping riders in the country, has a mouth like a train. Honestly, if I put a meat cleaver in his mouth, he still might not stop. I use a Nathe Tandem bit to jump him - sort of like an American gag with a noesband attached (PT me if you want a pic). The mouth is totally rubber, but when you pull, it puts some pressure on the nose and asks him to give. Works a charm.http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Without a Doubt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OverOxer:
    I have an Irish Warmblood who, although educated to the death on the flat by some of the top dressage and showjumping riders in the country, has a mouth like a train. Honestly, if I put a meat cleaver in his mouth, he still might not stop.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank god I'm not alone. It must be an Irish horse thing...

Bold as black type font, baby!
    Centre Equestre de la Houssaye
    ---WHX---

Used to use a pelham, but I was finding that Ellie was getting overbent in it. We now go in a full cheek slow twist, & she's very light & responsive. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

"Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done"
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Oh you are so not alone. I still get dragged around the ring on my big mare in a double twisted copper wire gag. I need to find something stronger I think (either that or grow about a foot so I can get some more leverage on her). http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

Usually heavy horses have heavy handed riders. But, if you can't make both of you softer...

I'm not sure about jumpers, but heavier hunters go great in a Myler bracelet. You don't have to worry about really hurting your horse because it is not a harsh bit but it does help with responsefulness. They also have a D ring so it won't be conspicuous in the hunter ring.
    peace out
    ~Calla

overoxer..check your pt's.

*Black Tie Affair*
    *Good Tyme Charlie*
    *Tymeless*

did you here about the Mikmar bit? there is a thread in here on that, and you can go to the website www.mikmarbit.com

i used a straight mouth tom thumb pellum bit, start on the lower ring, move up. it cured mine!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Medievalist:

Thank god I'm not alone. It must be an Irish horse thing...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriosuly must be an Irish horse thing! I rode one that was a doll but if he wanted to get heavy he would.. and boy could he get heavy!

Another mare is either super ajusto-horse or irish freight train from hell. Even international caliber riders have been challenged by her on a bad day http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

--------------------------
    I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
    -- John Keats
    --------------------------
    I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
    -- John Keats

SCHunter: Check your PTs.http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Sparky22 and Medievalist: Yes, Irish horses seem to have this unique ability to putter around sweetly and make you think, 'Oh, what a wonderhorse' before suddenly and forcefully dislocating your arms.:P

Without a Doubt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zoef:
    Oh you are so not alone. I still get dragged around the ring on my big mare in a double twisted copper wire gag. I need to find something stronger I think (either that or grow about a foot so I can get some more leverage on her). http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow I don't think that either the bit or the leverage is the answer to this problem.

madeline
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Not only an Irish thing. I have a Hannoverian that I had trouble with until using a Myler combination bit. Still strong, but manageable.