The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Soft Ride Boots

I have posted recently that my gelding is going through an acute case of Laminitis right now. He has had Cavallo boots with a pad up until now but they aren't cutting it anymore as one of his feet seems to be changing. We are going to try a heartbar shoe next but my vet mentioned that their clinic has had some success with a boot and pad system called Soft Ride. If the shoes don't work I am considering getting him a pair of Soft Ride with their pads.

Has anyone had any success or failure with them?

Soft Ride boots are great. They are super easy to put on and take off. And to clean them just hose them off. The only problem I have had with them is shavings tend to get inside the boots. When that happens just take them off once a day and take the removable bottom part out and dump out the whole thing.

I have no experience with the Soft Ride boots but I've rehabbed several laminitic/foundered horses now with Old Macs with the 12 mm pad inserts. They are also easy on and off and they typically stay on very well...assuming a decent fit to begin with.

yes I have experience rehabbing a foundered horse with Soft Ride boots. They are made just for this sort of purpose and work really well. The regular thickness pad worked just fine, but I had the back cut down so it didn't make the toe point down. The back is thicker than the front and creates an angle. I had it shaved down so it was level and allowed the horse's heel to come down closer to ground parallel.

Great boots. I've used them just on a tender footed mare, though not foundered. A friend of mine really feels they extended her chronically foundered mare's life by a couple years. Just be sure to use lots of duck tape to help preserve the velcro.

I've seen them used with laminitic cases, and they are fantastic.