The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ok this is just my opinion but I think this fever thing is getting a bit blown out of preportion. When I worked for Lee Jolley if we raced a horse on a very hot day their temps were taken every other hr. and 101.2 was not a cause for calling the vet and throwing the horse on antibiotics as Lee's opinion was that as long as the horse did not go off his feed and acted otherwise ok-HE WAS OK, after all their temps are naturally going to be slightly elevated in the heat and it was reported that Funny Cide never acted sick nor went off his feed even slightly. I'am thinking ole Tagg is using the "fever" as an excuse for the horses loss and maybe hes also looking for an excuse not to meet up with Empire Maker who not to take anything away from Funny Cide is in a lot of peoples opinion a better horse. I hope he does put him in the Travers to make it more interesting!

Ok this is just my opinion but I think this fever thing is getting a bit blown out of preportion. When I worked for Lee Jolley if we raced a horse on a very hot day their temps were taken every other hr. and 101.2 was not a cause for calling the vet and throwing the horse on antibiotics as Lee's opinion was that as long as the horse did not go off his feed and acted otherwise ok-HE WAS OK, after all their temps are naturally going to be slightly elevated in the heat and it was reported that Funny Cide never acted sick nor went off his feed even slightly. I'am thinking ole Tagg is using the "fever" as an excuse for the horses loss and maybe hes also looking for an excuse not to meet up with Empire Maker who not to take anything away from Funny Cide is in a lot of peoples opinion a better horse. I hope he does put him in the Travers to make it more interesting!

That's cool you worked for LeRoy Jolley. When/where was that?

When I rubbed horses I remember we took the babies' temps a lot, and quite often they'd be around 101, and it was not cause for alarm.
    I was wondering when Funny Cide was going to start again.

I hope he goes in the Travers too. Its about time!

"Vanitas vanitatum et omina vanitas"

LEE-roy Jolley? <withhold opinion>
    His father, Moody Jolley = jerk <keeping it mild>

I'll never forget or forgive that smug bastard (MJ, not LJ) crowing when Ruffian broke down, in the match race with Foolish Pleasure.

I will take the memory of that race to my grave.

Oh, and about the temp thing:

I'm quite sure Tagg knows all about the when/how/why variations of equine temp. fluctuations. And took all factors in consideration.

I don't believe he is the type of person, like some who "Boast-N-Whine" (B.Delp, B. Baffert, W. Lukas, etc.), who would make any excuse to save face.
    If he was, he would have made a more "dramatic" one.

JMO.

[This message was edited by Man O' War on Aug. 11, 2003 at 11:24 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Man O' War:
    I don't believe he is the type of person, like some who "Boast-N-Whine" (B.Delp, B. Baffert, W. Lukas, etc.), who would make any excuse to save face.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok may I ask if you know any of these trainers in person? Work for them? Work among them?

Since I know this crowd a bit and though lost races are hard to explain I would hardly call every statement they make after a lost race an "excuse." I especially am confused when you throw Bob in this group, when he will tell you straight to your face, if a horse was short or if the jock got it wrong. Or if he should of worked it differently.

Just really curious how well you know these people. And please don't take offense I just know you're a backsider. I don't know for whom or how long etc.

~Emily

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never truly live at all"
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Yup, I'm not a fan of D. Wayne, but I pretty much think that Baffert or Lukas's horse just isn't all the horse that day, they pretty much owe up to it. Now you might not like D. Wayne's eternal arrogance or the fact tha tto Bob, life is a joke, but I never thought they ducked the truth in that regard.

As for Funny Cide's slight temp, yes, I have to say that it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Even 102 is reasonable for some horses post work. But every horse is his own animal, and if FC runs a lower temp normally, what might be 1 degree for another horse is 2 degrees for him. I have the same problem - my regular temp normally is below average, which explains why for years I couldn't understand why I felt like I had a low grade fever when it was within .2 of "normal." Then I took a baseline for grins and giggles one day, and low and behold, it made sense. When my temp is 99 it's way up for me and I feel down right ill.

But more likely I suspect Tagg is using the temp as an excuse. Not because he is ducking Empire Maker, but because something is wrong and he doesn't know exactly what just yet. EM might be the better horse in my eyes, but it was too obvious that wasn't the real FC running in the last race.

Call your village. Their idiot is missing...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

If you\'re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

My first thought when hearing of the fever was that it wouldn't be that unusual for a horse to have a slightly elevated temp after running on a hot day.

However, both AP and TTimes reported that his temp was 102 the following morning. I do believe that is cause for a little TLC & rest to see what comes of it. I also seem to remember reading that they would wait a few days before drawing blood, etc. It all seems as it should be in my opinion.

Two Toofs
    (formerly - but still - NDANO)

I respectfully disagree with suggestions of using the elevated temps as a crutch.

The fever is long gone and blood tests have been positive since Friday night. But the tracks at the Spa are a mess so getting a really good workout isn't there.

Today's paper: Times Union 8/12: " Funny Cide ready to get back to work"

From all that I've seen, Tagg and Smullen haven't made excuse one about his performance. Rather it's the media in their craving for something to print doing all the speculating. It will be Tagg's decision alone to either put Funny Cide in or not according to his condition right up until the last minute. He will use that time wisely and breeze him to see if the horse that won the Preakness by the 2nd greatest margin and the Derby by the 10th fastest time is back.

Personally I think the issue isn't physical but mental - you have to make certain that Funny Cide wants to win. A lot of the outcome rests with Jose in any race - hold him in check or let him get into the race immediately.

There is a chance that if he's not good to go, then there may be an option: DRF 8/12/03: "A richer derby could lure stars" ready for the Travers then *maybe* an alternate could be the Pennsylvania Derby on Sept 1st.

And if he ran the horse and something bad happenend then everybody would be screaming and yelling and jumping up and down that he ran a sick horse, the cruelty, etc. etc.

I fear Funny Cide and his connections can't win. They've gotten scant respect from racing insiders since the beginning, and probably too much respect form "the fans". The insider's will always be looking for a reason to prove he's not good enough, despite all the evidence to the contrary (sorry, Empire Maker will NEVER be as good in my book, because he skipped one leg of the triple crown--if was so superior, then he should have run all three legs--otherwise, he'll always be an also ran to me). And the "outsider" public will always believe he's better because they can find an excuse like being sick.

The horse is/was sick. He ran a hell of a race to finish third. Now why not let the people who see the bloody horse take care of him and make the best decisions for THE HORSE, and not accuse them of nefarious chicken hearted scheming.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Sorry Heather, I can't agree with you on EM being less of a horse because he skipped the Preakness. Now you might argue that his connections are not as superior as the the FC connections because they opted to skip the Preakness, but best as I can tell Empire Maker is the horse he is, regardless of what races his connections enter him in. I won't diss him for skipping that race if it made sense to his people any more than I would diss FC's connections if they feel he isn't ready for the Travers.

And FC and his connections seem to be doing just fine in all regards. He's a gelding and his dam is deceased, so who cares if the breeding establishment isn't that wild about him (and I think a 500K Distorted Humor share goes a long way to putting paid to that notion). All that matters is that the viewing and betting public likes him, and I think they do.

Call your village. Their idiot is missing...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

If you\'re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather:
    He ran a hell of a race to finish third. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Onlyin racing can a horse purchased for mere pennies (relatively speaking) win the KY Derby, the Preakness, run 3rd in the Belmont all just weeks apart, then come back after a short layup and finish 3rd in a G1 with million dollar purse, be the TOP money earner in the country for the year to date, have over $2 million in earnings at age three and still be criticized! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Two Toofs
    (formerly - but still - NDANO)

Saudi I worked for Jolley in the 1980's at Belmont also worked for Joe Cantey,Red Terrell,and Charlie Whittingham for a short while. When I was with Jolley we were in Belmont,Saratoga,and then Ky for 6 weeks before going to Fla. I also worked for a Sandi Duboise in Camden SC for a winter breaking babies before I went back to the track for a short time. My opinion still stands with this Funny Cide "temp" and hope he goes in the Travers but even if he does not he will still meet up with EM sometime somewhere. I'am not dissing Funny Cide at all, I know Joe McMahon who bred and raised him very well and its a good shot in the arm for his business. The horse is galloping now so I'am thinking he will run if hes ok.

Were you there when he had Mogambo by any chance?

"Vanitas vanitatum et omina vanitas"

For those up at Spa today (Wed 8/13) it will be "Funny Cide Day" per the NYRA http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Aside from being him being in the paddock in the late morning for the public to see, there were six people chosen from emails sent to Funny Cide's website selected to have breakfast with Jack Knowlton and have a special tour of the Nat'l Museum of Racing. A rather nice thing to do for the fans in all honesty and more like a marketing page taken from the fan-friendly NASCAR playbook.

Times Union 8/13: "This horse has his day, Fans get to see Funny Cide today at Saratoga track"

Please disregard the somewhat monumental error in the story that says: ".. their chance for an up-close-and-personal view of the Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes winner [sic] today.."

Ah, if only ...

Saudi Mogambo ws there when I was there but I only saw him briefly because at that time Jolley had 2 strings going. I did get to take care of Genuine Risk who was a really sweet mare to work! Temperance Hill was across the way from us in Belmont.

By all accounts the fans, despite the rains, did show up to admire the big chestnut gelding and were not disappointed.

AP Photo - Funny Cide at Spa 8/13

AP Photo - Funny Cide and Robin Smullins

Excerpt

Spa crowd hobnobs with a hometown hero
    Saratoga Springs -- Funny Cide's fans show their affection as they brave a deluge to see him

By STEPHANIE EARLS, Staff writer
    Times Union, Thurs Aug 14, 2003

Cameras flashed. A murmur swelled through the crowd. People rose on tiptoes in the mud, seeking visual confirmation.

"Is it him? Is it him?" 7-year-old Michaela McCormack babbled breathlessly while perched atop the fence surrounding the Saratoga Race Course paddock. She strained to see around her cousin Joey Deso's shoulder, searching for a glimpse of him above the crowd of journalists, track bigwigs and TV camera crews inside the circular sweep of fence.

"Fun-nee-cide, Fun-nee-cide," 8-year-old Deso clapped along as he chanted the name.

Tagg quote "Concerned about latest blood work being a hair off. The blood count is in the normal range but not where I would like it" Dr. Celeste Kunz head vet "Blood work is nothing to get excited about, saying its a hair off would not bother me at all". Blood work in the normal range,eating,drinking,temp normal----What is the problem?????????????????????????? Tagg needs to get over himself. I know hes not used to having a big time winning horse but jeez enough already!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Himbo - the full quote was:

"It's just a hair off," Tagg said. "The blood count is in the normal range, but not exactly how I wanted it to be. If his blood count is good and he is acting right and eating good, then I will run him. If one of those things isn't right, then I won't run him. It's real simple."

I don't think his remark taken as a whole should be used to knock Tagg whatsoever. His best interest is Funny Cide being in top shape, short of that why put him in the race?

The owners are hands-off and he's run two lukewarm efforts after two exceptional ones. Taken as whole, I'd say if you aren't confident you've got the best horse he can be, then pass on it and go for the G1 Penn. Derby.

I had never heard of Barclay Tagg before Funny Cide won the Kentucky Derby, but I must say that I have nothing but respect for him. He seems to put the welfare of the horse first before anything else. That's the way it should be.

When I was reading "Seabiscuit", some of Tom Smith's training methods reminded me of things I have heard about Barclay Tagg's methods.

"There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers
    \"So shines a good deed in a weary world\" - Willy Wonka

Geez get over yourself Glimmer. I was commenting on how the horse is in every way in the normal ranges and how Tagg wants it to be better, how much more normal does he want him to be??? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif