The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Revisiting the farm/rural internet problem

I just wanted to bring up the topic of rural internet service again to say that I found something that works. I had Wild Blue satellite internet and had an older (last year) verizon broadband usb modem. Both of which sucked and my bf's son griped that he couldn't play computer games on them.

I saw that Verizon had a newish modem out (UMW-190) that was getting rave reviews and since they have a 30 day trial/return policy, I decided to order one online and try it out. The thing works great! It has an antenna thingie on it and a place to connect an external antenna. I've never had to use the external antenna, but I did buy one just in case and it was like $10. The bf's son is very happy that he can play World of Warcraft now and I am a happy internet surfer.

Not sure this would work for everyone, but it might be worth trying for the 30 days to see if it works for you. The largest package they have is $59/month for 5Gigs which doesnt' sound like alot but it is and it's much cheaper than my slower crappier satellite that was $99/month.

Anyway, just thought I would share my luck.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I'd be pretty worried about such as small limit if you have a WoW player in the house full time. A 5hr a day WoW addiction could easily eat all that, even if only during school vacation.

For a whole month it didn't go over 2Gig even with all the playing during holiday vacations and I think he was on it 24/7 quite often..lol. I had actually asked someone I know who uses a similar EVDO modem and plays WoW, he said the only time he has gone close to going over is when sharing it with his wife and brother who also play and the brother was torrenting as well. I don't know what torrenting is, but apparently it eats up lots of data usage??

I am still keeping my eye on the usage though as that was my main concern as well. Thanks for bringing it up!
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Thanks for the update. I got an upgrade to my Sprint aircard and software, and the speed is better than the old one. Still not 100% better, but something is better than nothing. It won't get better until they install more towers or upgrade the existing towers to 3G.

Going to google the antenna's as I have a place to plug one in on my aircard also.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I am *pretty* happy with my AT&T wireless, USB modem. Speed is super, as I look at the tower out my bay window--direct line of sight it's probably less than 1/2 mile away. In the worst snow storm, it was only 4 bars instead of 5, and a little slower, but still, compared to 19.9 and 12. Yes, 12.0, I'm happy.

They came out with a cheap plan, which is what made me try it--200mg for $35. That's what I was paying per mo for a phoneline that barely worked, so I could justify it. I use Opera, and have graphics turned off, and don't do vids at home... and came in just under that for the first month. The BIG eater was an interactive survey I did last week. Got a warning notice (which I liked!) that suddenly I was using a LOT and at risk of going over.

It's like $60 or $65 for 5gig. But if I just almost used 200mg... I'll save the big stuff to look at at work. (and yes, we're allowed.)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    I don't know what torrenting is, but apparently it eats up lots of data usage??
    Google "Bittorrent".

It is a file sharing protocol. Basically, you are "downloading" from multiple computers at the same time, and it can use up LOTS of bandwidth.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks for that information Janet! I had no idea but the name sounded like it might be a bad thing..lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

We just hooked up to Sprint wireless and we didn't realize it was limited to 5G. We went over the first month and our "$60" bill was $189. We don't game on ours. We usually just do email and surfing, but my husband downloads some Utube videos. So beware. The service is great and fast, but I'd rather be back to Wildblue because we didn't have to worry about how many GB's we are using.
    Judy

Has anyone here had luck with the sattelite internet services? It's the only way we could get non-dialup internet where I live. We went with HughesNet. All that crap in their commercials about "high speed where you live!" are lies, all lies.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

be weary on your usage. Everything was fine in my house for at least 6 months, then, with NOTHING changing in our internet behavior the bill skyrocketed to $400!!!! Apparently even with no change in activity they were claiming we used the 5GB in 2 weeks. They had no way to prove they were right. I requested a print of every internet activity with sites visited and usage, which they said they would send to me and never did.

Be VERY weary of Verizon internet.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I know that sites like YouTube can eat lots of data usage. I will definitely keep check on the usage though. It pops up every time you log on. One issue I do have is that their updates that you have to download are done on your download limit per their own little warning box and can cause you to go over. I dont' really see how that is my issue.

Thanks for the warnings! I will definitely watch the usage.

Petstorejunkie- Could someone have been stealing your signal?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

Having used HughesNet satelite for over 2 yrs. and not exactly thrilled with it, I am currently doing the 30 day test out of a broadband modem from Verizon for my tower. I'm amazed at the difference in speed!

I plan on keeping a close eyeball on the usage, but I don't think I will exceed the 5G. I'm not a gamer and mainly use the internet for emails, some websurfing and that's about it. So far the comparison of the satelite and the broadband modem are like night and day.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Pet Store-I second what Race Track said, either someone is using your signal or they changed the measurement somehow. I bet someone in the line of sight of your place is really happy with their free service from your modem.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I have HughesNet and I'm very happy with it. We have another local satellite provider in our area who I used to have and it is way way faster than them, and the customer service is better too. In fact I don't notice a difference between surfing at home and surfing at my parents' house, which has cable internet. Even high winds and bad weather I haven't had an issue.

My neighbor has Verizon and has to come over to our place sometimes if he has to get things done because of reception issues, too. I think which is a better choice depends a lot on your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    be weary on your usage. Everything was fine in my house for at least 6 months, then, with NOTHING changing in our internet behavior the bill skyrocketed to $400!!!! Apparently even with no change in activity they were claiming we used the 5GB in 2 weeks. They had no way to prove they were right. I requested a print of every internet activity with sites visited and usage, which they said they would send to me and never did.

Be VERY weary of Verizon internet.
    PSJ - If you have wireless in your house (and people can get close enough) they can "piggyback" on your wireless - i.e. use your Internet connectivity for free why you pay for their usage. Could that have cause the issue?
    Sandy in Fla.

Can someone please help me here???

I need to get Internet and phone service at my farm. My only "vendor" option is satellite through Hughes.net to the tune of $70 per month. I don't work from the house anymore so I won't use the Internet a lot. But I would like to have it. I was going to use Vonage as my phone service for $25 a month, unlimited long distance.

Do I have other options? The only cell service that is any good in my area is Verizon with Sprint a distant second. My iPhone does not work at all from my house. Perhaps I should just get another cell phone and use that as my phone service.

But can I get some kind of card for my laptops? I have a Mac and an older Thinkpad.

HELP?????????????

If you don't mind SLOW internet you can get dial-up for $10 per month - that's what we use cause we're cheap. Not enough bandwidth for things like tons of pics or Youtube, but plenty for COTH!
    Sandy in Fla.

My blood pressure cannot live with dial-up. Especially after having a DSL line for so long. And I want to be able to work from home from time-to-time.

I think I am going to try a Verizon Mobile Broadband Plan. I can use it for 30 days and then if it does not work then I can turn it off.

The Satellite is like highway robbery to me!

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    Can someone please help me here???

I need to get Internet and phone service at my farm. My only "vendor" option is satellite through Hughes.net to the tune of $70 per month. I don't work from the house anymore so I won't use the Internet a lot. But I would like to have it. I was going to use Vonage as my phone service for $25 a month, unlimited long distance.

Do I have other options? The only cell service that is any good in my area is Verizon with Sprint a distant second. My iPhone does not work at all from my house. Perhaps I should just get another cell phone and use that as my phone service.

But can I get some kind of card for my laptops? I have a Mac and an older Thinkpad.

HELP?????????????
    No, no, no to Hughes Net. Crappy service, crappy speed, crappy everything. And then, when they can't make your service work AND they charge you for out of warranty service calls, you get a disconnection fee. Terrible company. Never got anywhere near the connection speeds they advertised. Best I did was 2 times faster than dialup on uploads.

You cannot use Vonnage with satellite service (like HughesNet or Wild Blue). The upload speeds are not fast enough.

I'm out in the sticks and Windstream have something called Greenstreak. It's unlimited 12Mbps broadband over the phone line, but you don't have to pay for phone service as well. It's $49.99 a month. http://www.windstream.com/Product.aspx
    ... _. ._ .._. .._