The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile My baby is growing up

Nothing like going back to the well a second time...

After Linus died a year ago this weekend, I looked around for another horse and even drove to PA to try one, but I ultimately ended up seeing if I could repeat history.

I went back to the same person in Quebec who I bought Linus from ("Hi! I killed off your favoritest horse ever that you sold me a few years ago...uh...do you have any more for sale?") and bought another 3 turning 4 year old Appaloosa from her.

Then I shipped that Appaloosa off to be started under saddle by the same trainer who started Linus under saddle.

I know...it's sadly pathetic how I'm following the exact same path...but it worked once before....and it might work again...

Beetle, the new horse, is in Florida for a few weeks, so I went down to ride him and see how he was doing. And I am sooo pleased! He is really coming along nicely! I was positively giddy the first day I rode him and didn't stop smiling the whole time I was there.

Here's a picture of us, because I have to share, and besides, I do think he's a handsome beast.

Beetle

OK, one more because he makes me smile

He is SO cute! I love his color coloring!

he is GORGEOUS! looooooove colors!

Oh Lisa... this makes me so happy!! He is utterly GORGEOUS!!! I love love love those big spots!! I'm so happy for you!!!

And....for me too in a way. I had to put Dewey, my 20 month old, down on Monday. He had colicked and had surgery 6 months ago and Monday am I found him down, really painful. We took him to the vet school, but once we figured that he 95% had dead bowel... I opted to put him down rather than take a chance on surgery and having him suffer more. Especially not knowing why he colicked either time. (It wasn't management or dehydration, etc.). It's killing me and I'm heartbroken. I know there was no other outcome, short of it just not happening, but.. its still so sad. And... I'm oh so grateful to God I still have Fleck and Roany to get me through this. But... man... to see that someone can come out the other side and get another fancy snazzy Appy baby...gives me hope. I'm so afraid that I won't be able to handle it and I really really enjoyed having the little kid. I really think that's my next step, but knowing that I'll have to get another one and knowing it'll have to live up to Dewey... well, that's going to be hard. But.. you have given me hope. So thank you...

Congrats again on Beetle!! He's gorgeous and you two look like a wondeful team! Hope to meet him and see you again sometime soon! Come on down to GA for the AEC"s and I'll come visit if I'm not competing

Super cute! I love his blanket!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

He is a handsome beast! ! Is this what the Appy folks are breeding for these days? He is gorgeous!

Boy what a cool looking horse! Have fun with him!

Flecken...so so sorry about your youngster. A wise old horseman told me to never get attached until they turn 5 because they will try very hard not to make it to 5. But I find that impossible. I get attached.....and when you lose them, it is heartbreaking. Hug the ones you got left and you will be ready for another one in time...and you will have fun with the next one too.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jan. 16, 2010 at 07:21 AM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Aw He is Lovely!!!
    -Jessica

He is seriously one of the prettiest Apps I've ever seen. Looks so fancy and so smart, too!!

His coloring is so close to my first horse ever! How big is he? Congrats, you do look HAPPY!

Fleck - I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your young horse. They certainly leave a big hole when they go, don't they?

Thanks for all the compliments on Beetle. He is technically 1/4 TB, but is a registered App. The App he has is mostly foundation breeding - not Quarter Horse with Spots App. Oh - he's probably 16.2 to 16.3, I didn't measure him. But he's tall. His butt is hanging out of the size 81 sheet he is wearing.

Lisa,

I am so happy for you. He is REALLY NICE!

Maybe once all the college tuition is paid off, I will get the name of the people you got him from and get spotted myself.

Fleck,

I am so sorry to hear about your young horse. That must be heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you.

Lany

Hi Lisa - WOWZA! What a gorgeous horse!
    Wishing you all the best!

Lisa he is stunning! What a handsome guy, no wonder you're grinning like a fool about him

And Fleck, I am SO sorry to hear about your little guy! I know how excited you were to get him and it just sucks beyond saying that he's gone.

Awww, he's gorgeous (and I admit I like my horses one color at a time) - and isn't it the best thing when just sitting on them makes you grin like that? I'm really happy for you and can't wait to see you out with him up here.

Oh, he is certainly a handsome guy and I am so happy for you .

And FleckenAwesome: I am so sorry about your loss .

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Cook View Post
    Nothing like going back to the well a second time...

After Linus died a year ago this weekend, I looked around for another horse and even drove to PA to try one, but I ultimately ended up seeing if I could repeat history.

I went back to the same person in Quebec who I bought Linus from ("Hi! I killed off your favoritest horse ever that you sold me a few years ago...uh...do you have any more for sale?") and bought another 3 turning 4 year old Appaloosa from her.

Then I shipped that Appaloosa off to be started under saddle by the same trainer who started Linus under saddle.

I know...it's sadly pathetic how I'm following the exact same path...but it worked once before....and it might work again...

Beetle, the new horse, is in Florida for a few weeks, so I went down to ride him and see how he was doing. And I am sooo pleased! He is really coming along nicely! I was positively giddy the first day I rode him and didn't stop smiling the whole time I was there.

Here's a picture of us, because I have to share, and besides, I do think he's a handsome beast.

Beetle

Awwwww, he's beautiful! Congratulations Lisa.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Thanks everyone. It does suck, but....

And I'm sorry Lisa... I didn't mean to partially derail your post.

He really is gorgeous. Will you send me the breeders info too? For you know...later. Quebec is awfully far from me, but... you never know. He is gorgeous and built so lovely! And yep.. you can't beat your smile Have a blast with him.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    He really is gorgeous. Will you send me the breeders info too? For you know...later. Quebec is awfully far from me, but... you never know. He is gorgeous and built so lovely! And yep.. you can't beat your smile Have a blast with him.
    I was thinking the same thing... because Quebec isn't that far from here at all (Don't tell my fiance I'm even asking!)
    -Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Cook View Post

Beetle

Omg! He is gorgeous!