The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Which one would you take home? Most of these horses are going for around $400.

What do you think about Cat Girl's Love?

Tb's for you to love

Which one would you take home? Most of these horses are going for around $400.

What do you think about Cat Girl's Love?

Tb's for you to love

Go Grant Go is my favorite....

Then Sky's the Top......

jeez. I wish I could afford another one. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

>^.,.^<

"I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out..."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

I agree with Adelita and would add Tiger Hawk and Barnwell.

Resident racing historian
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

How do you know what they will go for and how would I get one (or two) home to Ontario? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Founder of the Olde Farte Clique; Member of the Dented Thigh Clique http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    If it ain't tack shopping, it's a waste of time and money.
    Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

Well, they went for about that at last year's sale. If you find the exracers forum you can see that the lowest price you'll get for them will be by the pound, and you can figure from there.

Plus, several of these horses were on the CANTER illinois website for $700 before heading to this auction.

I'm guessing the nicer "hunter style" horses that everyone likes here will go for higher, maybe 6-800 but definetly under $1,000.

*wonders if hubby will notice she is gone for 2 days and truck turns up later with 2 horses*

Founder of the Olde Farte Clique; Member of the Dented Thigh Clique http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    If it ain't tack shopping, it's a waste of time and money.
    Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

Good lord - the WITHERS! I forgot that TBs have such, hmm, prominent doesn't even begin to describe the withers on some of these horses. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

That said, some of them just look like the need a good meal and a nice home...
    If only I could...
    I hope they ALL go on to brilliant second lives as pets.

They are all absolutely lovely--and several really stick out as nice prospects!!

OK folks--Who have YOU told about this sale? Have you posted it somewhere? Where?

They won't all go for $400. I've gone to the sale and they go from no-sale to roughly $2000. We bought two, a perfectly sound but small, well bred guy for $500 (who went on to win at BN the following summer) and one for $400 (who turns out is clean legged but has cloudy eyes--doesn't appear to have any trouble seeing, but looks a bit odd). Both were good horses at a dirt-cheap price! I bid on 3 others, two got over the price I wanted to pay and one no-saled.

You can get a nice horse for not much $$ at this sale, but I would very strongly encourage going the day before (or at the very least be at the barns at 5 AM Saturday) to go through the barn and look at what's available. We saw one big guy we would have bid on in a heartbeat if we hadn't talked to his groom before hand and found out he needed knee and ankle injections to be running sound.

I have also directly donated money to purchase some older, less than sound horses so they can be retired rather than sold off for other purposes. One of them is now at the TRF--one of these days I'm going to go meet him in person! If you want to donate I suggest contacting Keely at CANTER IL (she's exceptionally busy doing all the auction photographs on her own time, bless her heart), Nancy Scott at CANTER OH, Joanne at CANTER MI--I'm not sure if the other CANTER branches have the ability to have CANTER owned horses (Fairweather? What's the scoop?)

If you can't keep another horse, you can contribute the the wellfare of "less than useful" horses by donating money to the TRF, and other worthy organizations if you'd like to give something back to the wonderful animals that give us all so much joy.

Gee, there are a lot of nice prospects here.

My picks:

Tiger hawk
    Barnwell
    Ondro
    Pretext
    Prospector's Green
    Sky's the Top

FW - Do you want us to send donations to Keely??

I would take home Sky's the Top and Sly's Aggravation, myself.

Show and Field Hunters for Sale! http://www.equineselect.net
    Pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/dlz113
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Sky's the top is my first pick. I like picture book and electic salt too. Just looking to improve my conformation eye... trying to pick the uphill build.

Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina!
    Sweet home

I like both Tiger Hawk and Skys the Top. Boy I wish I could take one home.. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Member of: NC Clique, Draftie/Draftie X Clique
    If your horse says no, you've either asked the wrong question, or the question wrong. ~Pat Parelli

to tell you the truth, I've never seen uglier horses than that, look at them they all have 45 degrees back going down, those are not racers, never been, bred with pieces I call that, that's def. the end the way I described it, well done.

-------------------
    Never take the advice of a horseman personal.
    ----

Just curious on my part.... one horse that caught my eye on CanterIllinois and again going to this auction is "Josh Daniel". Is there any reason that people don't seem to "like" him? I am just curious because he really catches my eye (not quite sure why!!! just love his look), and yet he doesn't seem to be getting that much "attention". What is it about him that doesn't appeal to people??

And also a bump for the sale! I wish I could go but it is quite a distance away, and I don't think I could quite have another horse right now (although I would probably take that colt in an instant).

I wish never to see such machine in real life, their back way too short; if that runs it breaks the forelegs with the hindlegs, a picture is at least fake.

-------------------
    Never take the advice of a horseman personal.
    ----

I kinda like Bell Buzzer, since I think my next one will be a husband horse. An older horse, trail ridden, with a soft and kind look. Bad angle on the pic, and I can't tell what he's built like, but I like his eye. *shrug*

For me, I like Tiger Hawk. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I make the assumption that if they've raced, they must have at least passable conformation. I think all the horses on the site are lovely. I hope they are picked up by the majority of wonderful BB'ers on this board!

Off to get some assignments done, which in turn will lead to a good job, which then will lead to a generous income = eventually buying some of these horses in the future http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Enjoytheride - Cat Girl's Love is my top pick as well. She looks very elegant even in her present condition. With some groceries, I think she'd be stunning, & if she has a nice personality, I can see her as a terrific sporthorse mom.

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer-upper".