The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Fire in Bourbon County KY

http://www.lex18.com/news/horse-kill...nty-barn-fire/

Does anyone know anything about this? This was a very expensive barn. I can't believe that they had no fire alarm or night watchman. It was a very strange barn anyway for this area. The owner said on TV that he was building it for WEG but he didn't have any arena, indoor or outdoor.

Quote Originally Posted by alter pain View Post
    http://www.lex18.com/news/horse-kill...nty-barn-fire/

Does anyone know anything about this? This was a very expensive barn. I can't believe that they had no fire alarm or night watchman. It was a very strange barn anyway for this area. The owner said on TV that he was building it for WEG but he didn't have any arena, indoor or outdoor.
    This was the big Red barn on Paris Pike-- there supposedly was only one horse in the barn at the time of the fire, and did not make it out.

The barn is now nothing more than a pile of stone walls, and molten tin roof.
    Insurance may not cover the cost of the barn-- estimated worth of barn was $750,000 with only $500,000 of insurance.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

It belonged to the Rankins. IMO it was an eyesore. Anyway, it's supposedly being investigated as arson. I think the BIRDSTONE filly was insured as well , but that's third hand info. Not very many people in Paris are surprised, anyway.

Wow, I knew it had to be expensive but is that common for an expensive barn like that with an expensive race horse there not to have staff there to watch? If they did have staff why would it be that a passerby would be the first to call?

That barn was hideous. I'm sorry that it burned down and they didn't get the single horse out, but I really hope they have better taste when they build the next one.

I drive by it about once a week and hated the hideous bright red color. Were they even finished building it? For some reason I remember still seeing trucks and workers out there.

Of course - my money is on arson.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Well you're right it was pretty ugly. It looked like an Equine Dairy Queen. The red was awful. But surely it wasn't torched becuase of the poor taste?

i always liked it, drove past is 2x / day, because it IS different than any other barn in KY. everthing else is white with green trim or the like, and this was something to stand out and dare to be different.
    To get in the winners' circle you must first get into the gate

I'm siding with the 'eyesore' crowd. It really was a red monstrosity, very out-of-place.

i can't believe you guys!! Someone lost a brand new 750,000 dollar barn that they invested in!! Who cares what your personal tastes are, this is the barn these folks wanted and they built it; who honestly cares what everyone else thinks of it or whether or not everyone thinks its an eyesore. They paid for the land, they love horses, and they built and pair for their barn with their money to their personal tastes. For cripes sake, a 2007 Birdstone Filly who was resting from soreness was in the darn barn and you folks are going to sit here, happy that this barn burnt to the ground because it "was an eyesore" and "was out of place"
    geesh

There is a reason I said I'm going with arson. I'm not going to get into it for other reasons.

I already said that I was sorry that the place burned down and that they lost the filly. However, I'm not going to miss seeing it when I drove by it.

That is my OPINION. You are fully entitled to your own.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

I, for one, certainly didn't say I was happy the farm burnt and the filly died. Geez. The fact is - aethetically speaking - many found the structure unappealing. It was built to be noticed. In that, the owners were successful.

Barn in question is the second listing on this page

So sorry they lost the horse. What a horse owner's nightmare.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Wonder if this is the filly at the bottom of the page?

http://www.rrequinestables.com/EquineSales.html

Poor thing.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    There is a reason I said I'm going with arson. I'm not going to get into it for other reasons.

I already said that I was sorry that the place burned down and that they lost the filly. However, I'm not going to miss seeing it when I drove by it.

That is my OPINION. You are fully entitled to your own.
    Ditto what Bugs said. And, I don't think it would've been as bad if it were built further away from the road. It's just that there is some nice, pleasant uniformity out there (with the exception of Dean Grimes's old repo'd house with the block wall in front), and then you pass Houston Antioch and you see this big red thing to your left. Kind of diminishes the asthetics IMO. I'm different than QHJockee in that I like the uniformity of all of the matching barns and fences. It is sad that the filly perished. I don't think anyone here intended to diminsh that loss.

Don't know the farm, but I am sorry about the filly... As for the barn, well, can they just have the insurance re-build it on my property? I'll put it far enough from the road that you guys can't see it, I promise!
    Not all who wander are lost.

LOL yeah me too! I don't even need it that big!

I actually kind of like the barn!

Whatever it looked like it is a shame it is gone and the poor filly (she was a beauty) died.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.