The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default wool coolers

im looking to get my guy a wool cooler for shows. what brand do you guys use? im looking at the integrity wool dress sheets. any feedback on those? or what about centaur? whats the difference? i mean im sure the quality on the integrity's are better as they are about 300 and the centaurs are 90. if you have any feedback or reviews please let me know .

TIA.

The centaur ones actually aren't bad. I have only seen them in plaids, so colors may be an issue.

Another option are the Dover wool coolers- although again, the colors are more limited. They are nice for the money ($70?)
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I like Integrity coolers. Anything Triple Crown is quality. I have no opinion on Centaur because I never had one I do have some Dover ones. They hold up nicely!

I have one of the centaur coolers (bought it from SmartPak about $100). I got navy with light blue trim and silver piping. It has silver hip ornaments. Its really really pretty - I get lots of compliments and it was like $8 for Smart Pak to embroider it. It was worth the money, although I think the price has come down in other catalogs since I purchased mine a year ago.
    Dear life, please send grapes. Sincerely, I prefer wine over lemonade.

A friend of mine just got a wool cooler from Dover this weekend. It was $50 on sale. Its really nice as well. Just something else to look into
    Dear life, please send grapes. Sincerely, I prefer wine over lemonade.

I just picked up a Centaur cooler at a closeout sale for $60. It's a beautiful plaid, has lined shoulders and a leather closure, etc. The wool is of great quality compared to other coolers in the price range (especially the dover coolers). What I especially like is the way it fits. It's really cut nicely, and doesn't give away its price in the cut like a lot of the other cheap coolers.

I got this one on a whim, as it's been a pretty bitter winter. It doesn't compare to my triple crown cooler (that's probably about 15 years old and worth every cent I paid for it), but it's great for everyday use.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I think that the Curvon wool dress sheets are of comparable quality to Integrity at a little more than half the price. I paid $180 for a thick wool with trim, piping, hip ornament, and monogram. It is gorgeous and sitting on my bed now. Curvon is the same company that makes Baker products, so their quality goes without saying. The body colors are limited compared to Integrity, though.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Integrity wool coolers! And while you are at it you might as well get the matching wool quarter sheet for riding on the cold days.

Centaur makes a very nice wool dress sheet for the money (about $100) but the Integrity ones I have seen are absolutely gorgeous, and of course priced accordingly. I just saw a plaid Integrity last weekend, it had an equally beautiful solid wool lining, it looked so luscious I wanted to curl up on the couch with it myself.