The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Needing boots for Hunters and Dressage: Ariat

So I've started to think about shopping for show boots for next season. Until now, I've been using short boots and smooth chaps (to fit my very-hard to fit calf/boot size combo... for local shows! )for a quite convincing pseudo-field boot look. But as I want to get more serious about showing this season, I think it's time to get something real. Custom boots are a bit of a stretch as far as money goes, so I'm thinking about getting a pair of Ariats (unless anyone else has a brand recommendation, I've been pretty fond of Ariats in the past) and having a zipper added and the calf custom fitted by a leather worker.

Anyway, I really don't have the money to get hunter boots and dressage boots, so I want to get one pair of dress boots which are definitely preferred for dressage and I've heard are acceptable for hunters.

So here's where my question comes in: what do I want in a dress boot for both hunters and dressage??? Dress boots, such as Ariat's Maestro are often advertised with a stiffener, which is a good thing for dressage.. but what about hunters? Ariat also offers a "Hunter dress boot"... Any thoughts?

Here's Ariat's boot page:

http://www.ariat.com/products_listin...1&scid=12&gf=w

Thanks a bunch!
    Equito ergo sum.

I would go with boots for whichever you think you'll be doing more showing in.

The dressage dress boots are really stiff and aren't designed to have very much give. For that reason, they'd be probably very painful (or perhaps impossible) to jump in.

The hunter dress boots would probably be fine for dressage but they aren't going to look the same or have that 'perfect unwrinkled' look.

Also, dressage dress boots (that I have seen, anyways) have a zipper at the front to the inside of the shin while hunter dress boots have the zipper at the back.

It all depends on which you're more serious about, but if you feel equally devoted to both, I'd probably sacrifice some of the 'smooth dressage boot look' and buy the hunter dress boots, since you'll be comfortable jumping in them and they will work for dressage as opposed to the dressage dress boots that will look nice for dressage but you might not be able to jump in.

You absolutely don't want dress boots in hunters.

I would actually recommend NOT getting zippers- zippers are a big problem with Ariats and rarely survive very long without constant repairs.

I would buy field boots over the hunter dress style boots, but I think they are more flattering around the ankle and also I'm a big hunter snob so my mind just thinks that way
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    You absolutely don't want dress boots in hunters.

I would actually recommend NOT getting zippers- zippers are a big problem with Ariats and rarely survive very long without constant repairs.

I would buy field boots over the hunter dress style boots, but I think they are more flattering around the ankle and also I'm a big hunter snob so my mind just thinks that way
    Really? Why no dress boots in hunters? Just because most people wear field boots, doesn't mean you can't wear them. Especially if she's taking them to a cobbler to have them custom fit.

And technically aren't they more traditional anyways?

I just don't understand why you say you absolutely don't want them in hunters.

It think it makes sense, especially if she needs to use them for dressage as well and doesn't want to buy two pairs.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Dress boots are perfectly acceptable in the hunter ring, although they are not particularly common. I agree with the poster who suggested getting the hunter variety as they will be much more comfortable to jump in while still presenting an appropriate appearance for dressage.

I've never had problems with my zippered boots but I do take a bit of extra care with them. If they do break, and plenty of people have reported that issue with Ariats, getting them replaced is a pretty simple job for a cobbler.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Dress boots are always correct in the hunter divisions, in fact they are more appropriate in formal classes than field boots. They are just not as popular in the hunters as they once were.

Buy dress boots (not dressage boots) and wear them in both hunter and dressage classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Dress boots are perfectly acceptable in the hunter ring, although they are not particularly common. I agree with the poster who suggested getting the hunter variety as they will be much more comfortable to jump in while still presenting an appropriate appearance for dressage.

I've never had problems with my zippered boots but I do take a bit of extra care with them. If they do break, and plenty of people have reported that issue with Ariats, getting them replaced is a pretty simple job for a cobbler.
    I agree. "Hunter style" dress boots (without the stiffeners) are perfectly acceptable in the dressage ring. And so are field boots, though less common.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Dress boots (hunter style) are fine for either dressage or HJ. Field boots also OK for either. I showed thru third level in hunter-style Vogel field boots, wrinkles and all.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Buy whichever type of boot you find works the best for you.

I wore my custom field boots over fences AND competing in dressage (wore them through Prix St. Georges).

Fit and cleanliness is far more important.

I recommend the Mountain Horse Classic High Rider Dress Boots. They are appropriate for both hunters and dressage.

http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/spri...ress_boot.html

I have a pair of Ariat Heritage II Field Boots which I use for the Hunters and I LOVE. My legs are also tough to fit boots to; I'm short and have the worlds largest calves. These boots seemed to fit me right out of the box, were relatively inexpensive and had a very short break in time.

Smile Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Dress boots are always correct in the hunter divisions, in fact they are more appropriate in formal classes than field boots. They are just not as popular in the hunters as they once were.

Buy dress boots (not dressage boots) and wear them in both hunter and dressage classes.
    Thanks all! I was fairly certain that dress boots are acceptable for both disciplines, albeit less common in hunters.

Tivas_a_Diva:
    I have the opposite fitting problem: tall with the world's smallest calves for my foot size, anyway (I need a 20"+ tall boot, 10 1/2" or 11" foot, and my chaps are around 13" or 13" 1/2" and a little too big for my calves!) Sure doesn't make buying boots easy... Ariat's are the only tall-enough and reasonably priced brand I've been able to find.

Pirateer:
    As far as the zipper thing goes, I would definitely NOT buy the Ariats with the zippers already installed. I have had a few pairs of Ariats already with poor zippers, including a relatively expensive pair of half chaps, and it can be rather frustrating. I would get the zipper-less version and have a cobbler add a zipper and fit the calf.
    Equito ergo sum.