The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2003
    Location
    Mayerthorpe, AB
    Posts
    2,025

    Default Thoughts on preg check...

    My mare is ~195 days "supposedly" in foal. She was last checked at 55 days in foal and everything looked good. However, she wasn't looking overly pregnant (granted she is still really early in her pregnancy) but decided to have an palpation or ultrasound done. This mare does have a Grade IIB biopsy so I do know the odds of carrying to term are not the best.
    Vet palpated and did an ultrasound today. She feels she is not in foal but it was really hard for her to be 100% concrete about her decision but she said that is what she is going with. She said there was a lot of fluid in there but felt it was her bladder since there were some "curly Q's" in the fluid she said was usually indictive of mucous which is seen in the urine. She could not find the umbilical cord but did at the end see one empty horn of the uterus. She said even if she was pregnant in the other they are usually both stretched??? She could also not get a good feel of the uterus she said due to her full bladder. Overall she does not feel she is in foal. We saw the left overy and there were a few small follicles but had a hard time seeing the right overy and not sure if she ever did (though she commented the ligaments felt stretched there??).
    We are going to recheck her in a few weeks just to be hopefully 100% certain but I am pretty bummed. I guess I am asking is there any hope or would you say from that info it doesn't look good?
    I will look at doing a blood test if the next palpation/ultrasound is not more concrete. Sorry for all the "non technical" terms but that is the way she explained it to me. She has been a good vet but admittedly not the most experienced in equine reproduction but is trying her best to learn and did get both my mares in foal this year for a very reasonable price so please don't beat up on her.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2002
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,645

    Default

    If it were me...there would be two different scenarios I would chose. Personally, I wouldn't worry about ultrasounding and spending any unnecessary money and just wait it out a bit and see if she starts to "grow" and fill out in the next few months, bag up, etc. But that just me.

    If you really want to know what's going on in there and you're working with a vet who isn't the most experienced, I would suggest trailering her to someone who is experienced and can tell you a 100% for sure yes or no and potentially waste your money. While I have never used her, I have heard good things about Deb Steele who opened up an exclusive reproduction veterinary practice in Spruce Grove. She'd probably be the closest for you and your best bet at an answer.

    If it were me though, I'd save the $65+ for the ultrasound and just wait it out.

    Good luck!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com



  3. #3
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    650

    Default

    yep, I agree, I would save my money and just wait it out. If she doesn't show any signs of bagging up or getting bigger closer to the due date, I'd just have her checked then and re-breed... No sense in doing it now, you can't re-breed her in January anyways where you live :-)



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2003
    Location
    Mayerthorpe, AB
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Well she did offer to recheck for free so that isn't a huge issue and I might take her up on it. Though I realise there isn't much I can do at this point :-(
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2002
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy's Warmbloods View Post
    Well she did offer to recheck for free so that isn't a huge issue and I might take her up on it. Though I realise there isn't much I can do at this point :-(
    Problem is...even if the re-check is free, if neither the vet or yourself are 110% confident in her findings or ability to determine pregnancy, the trip out will be a waste. I'd wait it out until at least March, see if she starts coming into heat or showing signs of pregnancy and then go from there.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2003
    Location
    Mayerthorpe, AB
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Well she was more just hoping her bladder wouldn't be so full as she was having a hard time working around it. That was why the recheck with hopefully a less full bladder so she could make a more definite decision.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2002
    Location
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here
    Posts
    12,079

    Default

    I've NEVER had success with mid-pregnancy checks... blood test, yes, but not palps, unless the baby decides to 'float up to say hi' as my vet put it. And he's a reprogod, and can palp follicles w/out US for size etc. etc. etc. He's just the best, but says once they slip over the rim, it's a crapshoot.

    Can you draw blood? Cost is actully MORE for me... $65 for blood vs. $35 for palp... but I'd draw my own and drive it in...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2003
    Location
    Mayerthorpe, AB
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    I could draw blood my only concern is I did a preg test on her last year at 7-8 months and it said she was in foal. However, we ultrasounded her a week later and she was definately open. Maybe she lost it right around the time I pulled blood but doubtful since she was almost caslicks right up. So a little skeptical of the tests now though I know they are supposed to be very accurate so I will keep them in mind. I may just have to play the waiting game and see what happens over the next few months.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 1999
    Posts
    14,488

    Default

    This stage mid-pregnancy can be really hard to tell. I never do one unless I have a problem (discharge, udder development, etc) and need to treat placentitis if needed.



Similar Threads

  1. 14 day preg check...still don't know:(
    By Blume Farm in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May. 16, 2012, 07:03 AM
  2. Which WNV vaccine are you using for preg mares?
    By Indy-lou in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar. 20, 2012, 09:14 PM
  3. Preg check at 5 months, yes or no?
    By Dr. Doolittle in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan. 3, 2012, 11:05 AM
  4. Do you preg check at five mos. too?
    By TrotTrotPumpkn in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Sep. 13, 2009, 05:02 AM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: May. 27, 2009, 12:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness