The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Style over Substance...or how I fell off today $#%@$#%@

Today I had my new jumper out for a ride, having a nice hack and brought him into the indoor ring for some groundwork. Trotting nicely and the boy spooked at some of those plastic sort of standards.

I was doing pretty well staying on until the right rein broke...yeehaw!...That took care of the staying on and taddaa! I went off the boy. I sat there on the ground looking at 2' my fancy-schmancy braided French-made reins in my had as my horse wandered out of the indoor. Sure was glad I'd just put some new safety stirrups on my saddle.

Hmmmm. so much for style and "olde school".

I also discovered I don't pop back up as quickly as I used to. Hope tomorrow morning is uneventful and not too creaky.

Not dramatic or earth shattering...just a reality check...sure glad they'd dragged the ring and I had my helmet on. The "Walk of Shame" still sucked.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Not a fall...that was a Wardrobe Malfunction!
    Sleep on a heating pad tonight. You'll appreciate that in the morning.
    And glad you weren't hurt badly.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Hope you don't feel too sore tomorrow. This is a good time to remind eveyone to check their tack for safety frequently. Sometimes ugly and safe is better than pretty. Goes for horses also!
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

I had that happen before Xmas. One of the kids shut the viewing room door hard and my trusty steed exited stage right. My rein didn't break or I would have fallen, one of those "oh, no, I'm fallliiiiiiiing" landings. I am not proud to say that the death grip that I had on one rein basically stopped the horse by twisting his head around over his back and I sort of dragged myself back over and gave him his head back and we continued on our merry way, in the opposite direction.
    Glad you weren't injured. I recommend a hot bath, an adult beverage, and Aleve.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Trakehner is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

New Bridle, new reins...I've been converted to new stuff. Can't ride pretty and I was very lucky. Boy am I glad I put on the new stirrups...expensive, but worth every penny: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...ry_Code=SDLFIT

Once I found out I was dented and not broken I could laugh a bit. As my grandmother used to say, "I'd rather wear out than rust out". Just in case, I took an Indocen (major anti-inflammatory).

the splat feeling is never good- Hope you aren't too sore tomorrow.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

On the bright side -- your stirrups are gorgeous!

(Glad you're OK.)

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Nin View Post
    On the bright side -- your stirrups are gorgeous!(Glad you're OK.)
    I just bought them, they really are beautifully made. I believe they're from Holland.

No aches or pains this morning...Woohoo! Dodged that bullet.

Glad you aren't sore this morning. Last time I "popped" off(earlier this summer) I just laid there and thought how in my younger days I would already be up and going to get back on!! The stirrups look really cool. Hmmm....need to think about them.....!

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Today I had my new jumper out for a ride, having a nice hack and brought him into the indoor ring for some groundwork. Trotting nicely and the boy spooked at some of those plastic sort of standards.

I was doing pretty well staying on until the right rein broke...yeehaw!...That took care of the staying on and taddaa! I went off the boy. I sat there on the ground looking at 2' my fancy-schmancy braided French-made reins in my had as my horse wandered out of the indoor. Sure was glad I'd just put some new safety stirrups on my saddle.

Hmmmm. so much for style and "olde school".

I also discovered I don't pop back up as quickly as I used to. Hope tomorrow morning is uneventful and not too creaky.

Not dramatic or earth shattering...just a reality check...sure glad they'd dragged the ring and I had my helmet on. The "Walk of Shame" still sucked.
    well hes goes left ok or was it right lol

Original Poster

I found the best medicine after falling off...my new ex-barn kitty Abigail and my Siamese Lily laying on my chest purring away were a wonderful help and warm.

"Cuppa' Tea" helped too!

Glad you are okay - hot tub, hot tub and hot tub.

You may also want to check out these stirrups - You need to make sure you use them so the opening side is facing out but my boys event in these and I wouldn't have them in anything else.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1263905706

I'm glad you're ok, also. But, continue to take care of yourself. Sometimes the day after the day after is the bad one.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.