The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Warmblood/ Thoroughbred Stallion Suggestions for QH

I would love some stallion suggestions for Warmblood or Warmblood/TB stallions that cross well with Quarter horse mares. Breeding for a jumper/eventer. Mare is proven at both.

Thanks for any suggestions!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I've found that Trakehners nick very nicely with QH. I actually personally know a couple Abdullah line QH crosses who are wonderful.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

The first mare I bred was in 1988. She was an appendix QH and she was my dressage horse. I bred her to a Trakehner and the result was extremely successful. We competed against imported warmbloods and he did very, very well. He is still competing at the age of 20.

Is she registered AQHA? If so, I'd stick with TB if you want to yellow paper the foal.

A Fine Romance (TB) has produced a score of hunter/jumpers and event horses. He's in Canada (Ontario?). He's quite popular as a TB performance sire. I'm not a TB lover, but I love him.

We've had success with the Trakehner/Quarter Horse cross. My mother selected this cross back in 1986 but sold the mare before the foal was born because I was on the way =]

Over the years, I have met some wonderful stock horse crosses .. including a Paint/Dutch Warmblood and an Appaloosa/Trakehner. However, I was most impressed by the Trak/QH I met. This caused me to select the Trakehner for our Quarter Horse mare who is linebred Skipper W.

We went with Feuertanzer first, as this was my business partner's first time doing AI herself. I love the resulting filly, who is now coming 4 in June - she looks to be of hunter type and mentality. We bred back to a Trakehner with similar lines the following year, Feron - a son of Peron. The colt looks to be of Dressage type, but I'm still hoping he will turn into a fiesty jumper! Unfortunately, Feuertanzer has passed and Feron has been gelded & sold, so those referrals are of no help to the OP. But I do think the QH/Trak cross creates a great mix! Our Feuertanzer filly is Appendix D with ATA and would have been eligible for the half brand with the Canadian Trak group. The colt is eligible AWR.

Pictures:

Tiberon (colt by Feron) http://www.flickr.com/photos/3485551...n/photostream/
    Feuervogel (filly by Feuertanzer) http://www.flickr.com/photos/34855511@N04/3972270777/
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Default warmblood QH

Hello!! I just bred my Appendix QH mare by Indian Artifacts to the Hanoverian Stallion Romantic Star. She is due in a few months. I will post pics.

Mare is actually registered Breeding Stock paint, but is 100% QH bred.
    Pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/mach+n+roll

Pic: http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...esspics009.jpg

I have tried searching for Thoroughbreds that also have color (maximum sabinos and overos) and did not really find any that looked athletic or like they had proven sport horse offspring.

I am breeding strictly for myself, and I want an athletic horse with the ability to jump 3'6" + as that is where my mare maxes out.

I will not be breeding until next year, but am doing my research now I have looked at Lotus T, as he has some offspring out of QH's already, but was hoping for some other suggestions.

Windfall II maybe?
    ~Isabel

Proud owner and groom for Infinity Sport Horse

Nevada is crossing very nicely on QH mares.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bellatrix 1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	27972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007 Willowby dressage web.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	27973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Synnamon Silly Putty trot web.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	27974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nevada x QH mare.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	27975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0059_ cropped.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	27976  

Love this thread

I have a QH mare by Sky Blue Walker. She had a foal by Royal T in 2007. Produced a correct dressage colt.

She is now in foal to Escapade. She's due May 15. I'll post pics.

I may breed her again so any suggestions are appreciated for me too !

If you stick with Trakehner or TB then you will get Appendix papers from either registry.

The ATA stallion auction is going on at the moment - there are several interesting stallions to look at. Off the top of my head Imago and Tatendrang are jumpers, and Pavarotti and Tradition are eventers - all available fresh. If you want frozen, then Abdullah, Tzigane and Horales are all top jumper/eventers.

http://atassauction.com/Auction/search_results.asp

A little off your request, but you might want to look at Bridon Belfrey www.benmarfarm.com He is a RID but has been used with QH and produced lovely IDSH. They sold a such a cross, if you look for Benmars Mint Julep I believe on their site.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I think my trainer has a breeding to Pavarotti that she would sell. She's just starting out and cannot collect any more horses.

Email me if you want contact info.

oakstable@gmail.com

Please keep the suggestions coming! I am quickly looking up all the stallions that have been suggested. Does anyone know if Hanovarians cross well with Stock Horses? Dacaprio and Donnerkeil are nearby.....

Stiletto is a trak stallion that has evented and has children eventing. (I think one is even on the FEI WSBF list) We know xx and QH go other and A Fine Romance xx produces the jump and eventers. Good luck!

Escapade has been crossed with a few stock type mares. Here is a blog on one of them that I found online.

http://sammyssaga.blogspot.com/searc...&max-results=1
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutwithchrome View Post
    Please keep the suggestions coming! I am quickly looking up all the stallions that have been suggested. Does anyone know if Hanovarians cross well with Stock Horses? Dacaprio and Donnerkeil are nearby.....
    I wouldn't cross either of those stallions on a quarter horse. For one, Dacaprio isn't known to produce lots of scope (he is a Dressage stallion...), I certainly wouldn't use him to put jump on a mare. Perhaps if I had a mare that was a very good jumper, he might be okay... I've seen some decent hunters by him.

Donnerkeil has produced very well on Thoroughbred mares, usually for event horses. Never seen him put on a stock horse... He's a pretty thick guy, wouldn't be my choice for a stock horse...

If I were in your position, I'd go with a Thoroughbred. That's been done much more often, and IMO, with more success that using Warmbloods.

A Fine Romance xx has an impressive production record, and he's a very nice Thoroughbred for sporthorse breeding. If your dead set on using a Warmblood, I'd probably go for one with a good infusion of blood. You need to consider registration options too.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

If I was breeding a quarter horse mare for sport I would breed to Triple Twist! This guy has bloodlines that are worthwhile.

You could register the foal in the dam's registry (as paint?) And it would be nice to not have to go through the warmblood approvals for registration. They get expensive!

http://bredtojump.com/

I like Thoroughbreds, and would have no problem breeding to one. The only problem is that there don't seem to be many to choose from, sport horse wise.
    A Fine Romance is very well regarded and looks good, but I couldn't find a very good conformation photo, the one on the website was rather small.

Sea Accounts

Triple Twist

Coconut Grove

Are there any others to take a look at?

I figure no matter what I will want some TB blood in a stallion choice, I just am not sure of how much yet.

Trakehners do cross really well with QH's, so I agree with the countless others who have brought up that point. My stallion Pacific produced a VERY nice colt out of a palomino working type QH mare. He is now coming two this year, I'll see if I can get his owners to send me updated photos of him, but you can see him on our website under the foals. His name is Deo Volente. Pacific himself would make a fantastic event horse, as he is very level headed (NOT hot at all) and is a very willing horse as well as being very athletic. He will jump just about anything. However our focus is dressage and he will be geared for the FEI levels in dressage in the near future.