The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best braids for horse with thin mane and short neck?

OK my mare used to have a fairly thick mane, until she discovered she could drive me insane by rubbing it out on a tree. It's growing back in, but it's still super-thin.

We are going to a schooling show soon, and I want to braid her. Her neck just looks better with her mane braided, and since she has a short neck anyway, and I am so tall on her, I want to give myself that little extra nudge. Plus I don't like the idea of showing at second with her mane flopping all around. It just looks unpolished.

I used to do normal button-type braids, and I used the braiding comb thingy with the three spaces as my guide. It looked excellent. Now it looks like I am braiding thread, and they look absurd.

Tried making it twice as wide, and the braids were a good thickness, but now her neck looks short.

So what's the best way to braid this mess so that I add a bit of visual length to her neck, but don't end up with absurd-looking thin braids? I'm seriously considering scalping some barbies and using their hair to give hers a boost!

I think i would seriously consider riding her unbraided. "pulled" to a tidy length (I use the quotes, because you don't want to thin the mane further, but you DO want a pulled mane look and not a scissored mane); she obviously has a mane growing in, and freshly washed and conditioned might look thicker and make her neck look better.

Just my guess.

did she have a fungus? Usually that's what would make them rub and rub like that...
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    I think i would seriously consider riding her unbraided. "pulled" to a tidy length (I use the quotes, because you don't want to thin the mane further, but you DO want a pulled mane look and not a scissored mane); she obviously has a mane growing in, and freshly washed and conditioned might look thicker and make her neck look better.

Just my guess.

did she have a fungus? Usually that's what would make them rub and rub like that...
    Nope, just dry skin on mane and tail. I don't have to pull her tail, she broke off just the right amount!

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Nope, just dry skin on mane and tail. I don't have to pull her tail, she broke off just the right amount!
    look here as that sound like sweet- itch go to www.sweet-itch.co.uk and buy the buotti rug plus fly mask also look at thomas 1 secret recepe on horse care or under thomas 1 as its a fly repellent and does work

easy plait braiders!

They will give some volume to the button braid.

Short neck and thin mane. I'd do hunter type braids and braid with double strands of yarn.

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    look here as that sound like sweet- itch go to www.sweet-itch.co.uk and buy the buotti rug plus fly mask also look at thomas 1 secret recepe on horse care or under thomas 1 as its a fly repellent and does work
    ummm, did you miss the part about her mane and tail are growing back in, just not there yet?

it's not sweet itch, I've got it under control, just looking for ideas on how to braid in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    ummm, did you miss the part about her mane and tail are growing back in, just not there yet?

it's not sweet itch, I've got it under control, just looking for ideas on how to braid in the mean time.
    that happens when its winter as the migets arnt here yet, next year she rub in the same places unless you do something to prevent it,

if its at odd lengths then hogg it so it can start again at the same lenght forelock is optional
    trim the sides of the tail at the top and trim the hairs around the top part of the tail so it doesnt look like a toilet brush, and then bang the bottom

a solo comb would be ideal as then you get the hairs at the same lenght which are facing you at the top part of the tial

the horse would then look smarter rather than having misshaped or inclusive plaits as in one big one wher the hair is then one that hasnt any hair or very little

I'd say small hunter braids might be the way to go, as caddym suggested. If it's too thin for that then either leave it loose or maybe try banding it? Definitely don't hog the mane, the thin bits will catch up in their own time and it will all even out. I don't necessarily think it's fair in this case to assume that mane and tail rubbing has the same causes in Florida as in the UK. However, I've had this issue with my mares on both sides of the Atlantic and I've solved it by applying some topical cream whenever they start rubbing - even if not a medical issue, it can help to keep the areas moisturised. Good luck at your show!

Yeah, I think alot of small hunter braids will make her neck look longer, definitely. I also like the idea of using (say her mane is black) a nick puffy thick yarn, might just flesh out the braid a bit. Hey! Do they have extentions? Hey!! Do you have another horse with the same color mane or tail??? I've got it, you can pull HIS mane, and add in some hairs to the braids on the mare!!!! Wow, I'm a genius. I would actually do that, if I had a thick maned horse standing right there. Although I bet I'm not the first one to think of that, eh? Heh heh heh. Well, if she had a thick tail, you might be able to supplement the mane braids with that! Jut a thought.

Hairy, like angora yarn? That would be sweet, nice soft braids.

I do think, just as a thing in the back of my mind, that I would keep an eye on her next spring, and I do know people with dry maned horses keep hand conditioner or a hypo allergenic hair conditioner or else just some lanoline (very healing, like Bag Balm) rubbed into the crest.

Good luck! If the braids come out good, take pictures and let us know what you did for her!
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaGinger View Post
    easy plait braiders!

They will give some volume to the button braid.
    LOL!!! They made a scrunchie for horses!! LOL!!

I would third the small hunter braids with yarn. If you really wanted extensions it wouldn't be that hard. Just ask your local salon about ordering in a bag. The cheap stuff is coarser like horse hair and a giant bag if it is under $20. The other product that will help thicken the hair as well as keep it from getting fuzzy is afro wax. Again can be ordered in and is inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    that happens when its winter as the migets arnt here yet, next year she rub in the same places unless you do something to prevent it,
    she only rubs it in the winter, not at all in the summer. all our bugs are pretty much gone for the year after the freeze. she hasn't rubbed it in about a month though, so the dandruff shampoo and conditioner and hand lotion seems to be working just fine.

i WISH she had a thick, long tail, or I had another horse with a chestnut mane. but her (bay) filly chewed off her tail a while back, and she's not especially blessed in that department anyway. the other two horses here are grey, which would look pretty stupid mixed into her mane. trust me, I have considered it!

yarn is a good idea though. i used to have a big thing of brown yarn. i wonder what happened to it...

and of course i will take pics if it turns out halfway presentable. it's going to be done the night before and trapped under a slinky, so that ups the chances of it turning out decently.