The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I am going to preface this by saying that my show experience has been at dressage shows of all levels. I have stabled and ridden with big dressage barns and gone to shows by myself.

Maybe it's just the posts I'm reading, and perhaps these aren't a true sample of the hunter/jumper world, but...

I can't understand why you need grooms! Honestly, if you had several horses, were a trainer, or ??? I might be able to see it... but with two horses..
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

I mucked, bathed, groomed, tacked up, rinsed off, etc my horse. The only thing I didn't do was braid, but I have started doing that here. My trainer and I would feed the horses. I am NOT saying grooms do not exist in the dressage world- in fact, I would assume that some have them... they just seem to be very common in the h/j world whereas I don't see that in dressage.

I really don't want to come off as "dressage shows are so much better and you're doing it all wrong" but I can't understand the groom thing and this trainer thing.

It seems like (and to a lesser degree than the grooms) a lot of people have trainers ride the horses in classes (and YES, dressage people do that too) before the owners show. The only reason I ever heard was that the owners needed to do better in their classes.

PLEASE don't flame me- I DO NOT mean this to insult your type of riding or showing, I merely have some questions... especially since I have read a few posts on how expensive showing is recently. I DO realize that both of the things I mentioned take place in the dressage world, but from what I have seen, it is to a lesser degree.

Dressager
    You can't dance and stay uptight
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

I am going to preface this by saying that my show experience has been at dressage shows of all levels. I have stabled and ridden with big dressage barns and gone to shows by myself.

Maybe it's just the posts I'm reading, and perhaps these aren't a true sample of the hunter/jumper world, but...

I can't understand why you need grooms! Honestly, if you had several horses, were a trainer, or ??? I might be able to see it... but with two horses..
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

I mucked, bathed, groomed, tacked up, rinsed off, etc my horse. The only thing I didn't do was braid, but I have started doing that here. My trainer and I would feed the horses. I am NOT saying grooms do not exist in the dressage world- in fact, I would assume that some have them... they just seem to be very common in the h/j world whereas I don't see that in dressage.

I really don't want to come off as "dressage shows are so much better and you're doing it all wrong" but I can't understand the groom thing and this trainer thing.

It seems like (and to a lesser degree than the grooms) a lot of people have trainers ride the horses in classes (and YES, dressage people do that too) before the owners show. The only reason I ever heard was that the owners needed to do better in their classes.

PLEASE don't flame me- I DO NOT mean this to insult your type of riding or showing, I merely have some questions... especially since I have read a few posts on how expensive showing is recently. I DO realize that both of the things I mentioned take place in the dressage world, but from what I have seen, it is to a lesser degree.

Dressager
    You can't dance and stay uptight
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Oh the day I could afford a groom!!!
    I would fire them! I love doing it all myself! But I am not really the epitome of "hunter type" I dont even think that that exists here! Im more of a bitser, do everything including dressage. I just like hanging out on the H/J forum. (makes me feel special! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif) Just kidding honestly! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif But this is my fave part of COTH.

Be interesting to see what people say about this, OK I will shoosh now and go back to my quiet realm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Aim 2003/2004: National High points for appaloosa show jumping!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If a car passes me when I\'m on a horse, I always think: if I were in that car and saw me, I would wish I was me. Wistful children\'s faces, staring out of the back window, agree - Monica Dickens

I don't think people need a groom for two horses any more in the h/j world than in any other. However, there are many people who enjoy the luxury. There are many, many full service barns on the A circuit; it is very popular. Similarly, a lot of people who employ housekeepers don't really need the help. However, they enjoy the service, so they gladly pay for it, provided they have a large enough budget to allow for it. I doubt that a large number of h/j exhibitors feel overwhelmed caring for their horses, many just don't mind paying someone else to do it.

The way I see it, if that's how someone wants to spend their money, its their business, plus grooming is a great way to employ eager juniors, etc. On the other hand, if you prefer to do everything yourself, great, and if you can't afford or don't choose to pay for a groom, then that's great too, since as we established, caring for a horse at a show is not that hard to do. See, everybody wins.

-------------
    formerly porfidio

"There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking." -Zoolander

I don't hire a groom because I have a person to help me.
    I need that second set of hands for numerous reasons.
    -Loading and unloading the horse on the trailer
    -holding the horse for various reasons
    -grooming
    -running back to the trailer for things forgotten
    -entertaining the horse in between classes (don't laugh, I'm serious)
    -tacking up
    -putting caulks in shoes
    -getting water and refreshments
    -lunging
    and many other things!

For many situations, a groom is not 100% necessary...

But, having the extra hands available provides you with a level of security about being able to get everything done safely, in a timely manner (ie less tension=a good thing). When a particular show presents extraordinary logistical challenges, having a groom becomes a critical factor. For many busy adults juggling kids, work, and riding, having a groom at the show is just a no-brainer. For many juniors (the fortunate ones with multiple rides) having a groom is also a necessity if things are to run smoothly (this is GOOD).

That being said, I prefer to begin young riders on their show careers with NO grooms, expecting them to accomplish ALL the work themselves (of course this is a great way to train horse show moms and dads, not to mention that it really separates the wheat from the chaff, in the attitude department...). I figure that my riders should earn the privilige of having a groom, and not simply take it for granted; not only will they appreciate their luck in having one, but they are even better able to work with the staff once they know what the job entails.

BTW--don't you suppose that dressage shows are easier to handle without grooms due to the fact that each ride is scheduled in advance? There are no course walks...ring changes...(there are fewer rings?) Just wondering....

Having a groom definately makes for a much more relaxed show experience. I have only had a groom a few times and I really enjoyed it.

In college, I worked for a FEI dressage rider and I would groom her two horses for her at dressage shows.

*formerly cfc*

Sometimes you have no choice. If the trainer you have been with and want to stay with decides its time to hire a groom and doesn't allow the option of doing your own care ....???Though jjdaughter was one of the kids who started out doing all her own work and continues to to most everything even now that we pay for a groom (though not having to muck a stall before an 8 am eq class is nice)because she enjoys it!

Like Jr. Jumper, a lot of people use grooms their trainer brings to help with multiple horses for multiple people. For instance, your trainer may go to show with 10 horses (belonging to say, 6 different riders) and one groom. Of course the riders will do a lot of their own "grooming", but they'd never be able to pull it off as smoothly without the extra hands. Expenses for the groom are split evenly between the 10 horses.
    Some trainers have a groom for every two or three horses (same as at the barn) and I suppose there are those lucky few with their own personal groom. Personally, I'd rather have my own personal massage therapist. Or chef - mmm, this fantasy could go on and on...

Also, even if you only have two horses, they can be showing in the same divsion. If you are by yourself, it can get really hard to ride one round, put horse back in stall, get other horse, ride other round, etc. And when you have to show in multiple rings...it can get really complicated.
    I never have had a groom, but my mom or a friend always come because I usually have two green horses showing, so an extra pair of hands is much appreciated.

It's a sad day in American capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park.
    It\'s a sad day in American capitalism when a man can\'t fly a midget on a kite over Central Park.

I think it's more a question of personnality and habits.
    I showed 3 horses at a A show by myself and I did fine ( I groomed, rode, braided ...). Yes, I had long days, yes sometimes it was a little bit crazy, but I survived and I did as well as the people who had grooms.
    I love to take care of my horses myself. I can't imagine riding at a show and not do anything else. I love grooming my horses as much as riding them ...
    Well, maybe I will never be a good hunter princess ?!
    I also rode an event (it was a one day) with 2 horses and no groom.
    In 3 weeks, I'm going to ride 3 horses a one day event (they are competed at 3 different level !) and I will not have any groom ... I'm Sure I will sleep well after !

"www.lechevalfrancais.com"

What magellean said -- I have no family members to help me and unless I was the only one going to a horse show with my trainer that day and she could help me, I suppose I could tie second horse by 300 bridle to the medal bleachers http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif or the cheezie PVC fence around the ring! I'm not trying to be mean at all, just trying to point out legistics. I don't have money at all, but if I had a little extra money I'd pay for a groom. I'm a nervous Nelly and having some one to help with the details - let me walk off nervousness, walk the course w/o being in panic for someone to hold my horse, sit down for a second afterwords being about to faint from the horrible heat down here or sit in the heated car from the horrible cold up north would be worth it. At a show I'm there to have fun and compete, and if a groom help me do both, then darn it, I'm going to do it.

PS - I'm also one of those people who Cannot bathe a horse and remain dry. In fact I am usually wetter than the horse. In show clothes, no way.

PPS - I've never had two horses to show!

Nigel: http://community.webshots.com/album/68326373whlDAm
    Lorenzo: http://community.webshots.com/album/74700172fvoxFq
    Teddy Boy: http://community.webshots.com/album/74981587sGtSKT

"When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes."
    -- Shakespeare, Henry V

Member Sighthound Clique
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

When I was younger and showing, my trainer would not allow us to use a groom. She would hire someone who would do the feeding and clean stalls, but bathing, wrapping, tacking, braiding, etc. was all up to us kids. I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone else doing those things for my horse - I much prefer to do it myself. However, I certainly would ask my boyfriend or mom to wipe my boots or get me a drink of water on occasion while I wait at the ring.

I'm sure that grooms are handy for some people, but I prefer not to use one!

i always do everything myself. i load and unload my horse myself, i bathe him, wrap him, braid him, groom him, tack up etc all by myself. i even drive him to the shows myself. the only help i get is at the ring. my trainer wipes off my boots and cleans my horses mouth. on occassion, when i am late, she will help tack up my horse. i don't want the added cost of a groom. even if i wanted to spend the money, i wouldn't, because its my time to spend with my horse. he loves seeing me because i am the one who gives him treats and takes care of him other than the basic care of stall cleaning feeding and turnout. i enjoy taking care of him! i think handing my horse off to a groom takes away from my experience with my horse. but then again, i do not have multiple horses. if i did, i probably would need an extra set of hands. i have shown 2 horses at the same show, but i always had to do different divisions because i would not be able to tack up and hold 2 horses and ride as well.
    i am lucky that my horse is very easy to take care of at the shows. i often have people asking me if i need help loading or unloading and i say thanks but not necessary. and he will hang out by the trailer with grass untied. at the last show several people said what a great horse i have, how well behaved!

At our barn, most of the people who my trainers take to shows are amateurs in the true sense of the word - they are very good riders and they love their horses, but they have jobs and families, often including small children - "other" lives that they have to work out with their horsey lives. It just isn't feasible for them to pack up and leave it all for several weeks out of the year, and when we have anywhere from 5 to 17 hoses at a show, its not like the trainers can take the time to do all the mucking or bathing. We take grooms to horseshows, where they muck, bathe, feed, lunge, groom, wrap, unbraid, take horses up to the ring, etc. This doesn't mean that the owners are incapable of taking care of their own horses...it's just the amount of time that they can take out of the "other" life to go to horseshows and be with their horses. I'm sure that all of our boarders would love to be able to do more, and they do help out when they can. Its not uncommon for them to take out braids, or bathe, or wrap, or even muck a stall if they have the time. The bottom line is that at multi-day shows, many people just don't have the time to do their own care. That's where the grooms come in.

Bonzai!!

I don't use a groom at horse shows because I don't want to pay for one. AND, I like the work involved. That being said, I'd really like to have a "mom" at the shows: someone to hold my horse so I can run to the bathroom, someone to video me, someone to keep an eye on my stuff, someone to wipe my horses mouth and my boots off etc etc.

HOWEVER, I have a cleaning service come to my house every 2 weeks because I DO NOT ENJOY cleaning my house. It's worth every penny http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

~I have one share in corporate Earth, and I am nervous about the management.
    -E.B. White
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    ~Dave Barry
    http://www.youtube.com/hopelesslyretro

The groom-and-trainer thing is not an essential but rather a luxury/convenience. In addition to the obvious benefits of the trainer watching, it also helps to have someone set the jumps for you in the warmup ring.

Our barn does local-rated (B/C equivalents) and A shows. We always take a groom to care for the horses (feed, water, muck, help with setup, etc . . .). We still do much of the actual "grooming" and tacking up ourselves, unless someone runs short on time (like when your ring goes from 16 trips before the hack to 3 trips in a 5-minute span) in which case it REALLY helps to have that extra pair of hands.

All of us could do it on our own. But after working hard all the time during the week, I'm REALLY glad not to have to get out of bed on the show weekends to go do the morning feeding and stalls. Also, the groom serves as traffic cop while our trainer is at the ring - it is much easier for the trainer to radio back to the groom to have someone tack up and come down to the schooling ring than it is for the trainer to go back to the barn or send someone to relay that message.

[This message was edited by Madison on Jul. 02, 2003 at 10:16 AM.]

My daughter started out on the local circuit doing all the care herself, but once you move to a show barn the groom is just part of the package. Since he stays at the showgrounds at night, he can do late bedchecks, early AM feedings for those with early class times etc.

Some people (my teenage daughter for example) take this "groom" business to extremes and if the groom offers to do something she is all too willing to relinguish the reins. Our groom is "over eager" to help and ends up boot polishing, tack cleaning, linamenting etc. besides the usual grooming. I've asked the trainer to make daughter stop being a jumper princess and do some darn work. We shall see.

And as Peekaboo said, someone needs to be there to amuse the horse between classes. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

This year at the shows, we have had an average 10 to 15 horses, 1 trainer, and 2 grooms. Add 4 to 5 horses also being ridden in the green divisions, and you find one trainer going nuts. The grooms are mostly there for her benefit. One remains at the stalls, prepping horses and riders (making sure they are aware of the show progress since there are no set start times), and one attends the trainer and riders at the ring. "Direct connect" is heavily used between the stabling and ring side. Last year, there were fewer showing and we only had one groom, but it worked out very well.

As the mom of a junior, I can tell you my dtr does the grooming, bathing, saddling, etc for her own horse. We do rely on the assistance of the groom at stabling to help monitor what classes are going. Those long waits between classes can be distracting for a group of kids who love hanging out together at the shows. Since the grooms are there already (monitoring feed and water intake), they do all the feeding and mucking, sometimes enlisting the junior riders' assistance. At equestrian team meets, the kid does it all, no groom.

I cannot say the same for the adults, though. For the most part, they take full advantage of the grooms being there, and some pay extra for full care. Us showmoms snicker at the helplessness of a few. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Hope this helped explain some of the reasons grooms are used. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I'm just the mom.

Proud Member: Thoroughbred Clique, Danish Warmblood Clique, & Support Your Servicemen Clique

I have been a groom and had grooms. I don't know how dressage shows work, but when I was showing I was in so many divisions in a day that a groom REALLY helped. In hot florida I would get overheated and get light headed with the jacket, helmet, gloves, pants boots, (what are we thinking!!) Not to mention what my poor horse was feeling. I usually would collapse after a class and someone could help hose my horse while I get cooled too.

AS A GROOM, I was able to manage the barn. Keep stalls picked every 30 minutes, scrub buckets, feed, get the kid's hair ready, pay attention to class orders, etc... Oh and help deal with the usual melt down.

I can be honest with you, I personally feel like a show doesn't run as smoothly WITH OUT groom. (if there is 3 or more horses) Especially as LadyDoctor was saying, just to help hold a horse while you go pee.

Don't get me wrong I am NO princess, I usually do all my own stuff, but there is time when it is needed. Thats just my opinion. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

~~Lisa~~
    Aiden's page.. DOING GREAT!!

Recycle yourself; Be an organ donor http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif