The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default arena sound systems - anyone tried a boat stereo?

I'm always trying to find a better way to be able to ride to music. We just killed the 4th or 5th CD player at the barn, and it sits in an office, not even in the arena. Dust still sneaks in though and eventually mucks it hopelessly it seems.
    I was at a marine store getting "sail repair tape" to use for short-term blanket rip repair and was looking at all the cool stuff and thinking how I could use it. Great little weather-proof fans, bungees and double-sided velco straps in all lengths...cool hardware...but I digress. As I checked out, the guy asked if I was interested in checking out their sale stereo - $99. When I told him I'm not a boater, but a rider and what we do with a stereo at the barn, he showed me 2-3 stereos that are completely sealed -- waterPROOF (and so, DUSTproof!). The 'face' flips down to reveal a CD slot and there is a nice gasket all around it to keep junk out of there. Granted, it's not a multi-CD changer, but...for $200 I could get a stereo that might last until I got tired of it?? tempting! to pair something like that with weatherproof speakers for the outdoor would be HEAVEN.

so....has anyone tried this at all? good results or no real difference?

The player is a good idea IF you feed it into an amplifier and speakers capable of handling an arena. Car-type stereos are woefully underpowered for such a job.

There are two types of Watts. Peak watts, which sound fantastic on paper but lousy outdoors, and RMS watts which are used in rating professional systems.

There are car-type systems that do have a lot of power, but you often see them iinstalled n vehicles which cost less than the system.

Additionally, the player will require a power supply to convert 120 VAC to 12 VDC.

If you want to avoid the open player mechanics that dust kills so easily, consider an iPod or similar device.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

good feedback - thanks a ton!!

I have a complete stereo component system in our indoor arena in a box with just a plexiglass cover. The CD player has lasted over 5 years without any problem.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I don't know if this would accomplish what you're looking for (whole arena music for more than one rider?), but I've started riding with my iPhone on "speaker" and it works great. I used to ride with an iPod, but I like the iPhone speaker method a great deal more. Turn it on, turn it up, pop it in my pocket and voila! music that stays with me and doesn't drown out any sound around me

And on an even better side note, I no longer miss business calls while riding because it turns out that the pause in the music while the phone rings (even if I don't hear the ringer) is much more obvious to me than a ringing phone behind the music.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

LexInVA - thanks for that info. Just a note - the radio reception will probably not work in an all-metal arena without an external antenna.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

There are marine amplifiers and speakers plenty capable enough for an arena. I don't know anything about them, but they have become a bit annoying here on Summer weekends from wakeboard boats. Google something about wakeboard boat stereos, and you should find something that will work and be weatherproof. Our farm is on a lake.

They're loud enough that anyone in the boat and the boarder behind can be jamming while the inboard motor is running. We can hear them from miles away across the water.

1 members found this post helpful.