The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can you regularly machine wash dry clean only Tailored Sportsman breeches?

I can find the super nice dry-clean only Tailored Sportsman on ebay for less than new TS schooling breeches (and for some reason can't find the used schooling breeches on ebay in my size)... however, for every day riding, dry cleaning isn't feasible.

So, can you regularly machine wash dry clean only tailoreds without totally ruining them? I have a nice pair for shows that will be dry cleaned only, but for schooling...
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Yes, you absolutely can.

I wash mine cold with leather therapy and use leather therapy on the patches, and hang dry. Others have had success w/woollite. Mine are mostly show breeches and still look just fine.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Lots of stuff marked "dry clean only" can be washed (cold water, gentle cycle, don't spin, don't heat dry) but to do so will reduce the life expectancy of the garment. I don't know about this particular item.

An alternative is the "Dryell" type system where you can home dry clean things. If you've not dealing with heavy stains it works pretty well. We use them for wool riding breeches, wool riding shirts, wool sweaters, etc. It's a lot cheaper than the dry cleaner and should not adversely affect the longevity of the clothing.

G.

I routinely machine wash my (non TS) 'dry clean only' breeches in a regular load. I don't even bother with leather therapy or woolite- I just turn them inside out to minimize stress on the knee patches and dry on low for one cycle, then pull them out to finish air drying. I've never had a problem.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I've always heard that you can wash the "dry-clean" only ones at home in cold water. But, the one time my mom tried on a pair of my sister's "dry-clean" only they came out smaller than they went in. Those were royal hunters. I have a pair of supreme hunters that I always wash at home and they stay the same.

I do all the time on gentle with woolite - cold is the key !!! and no they have not shrank!!

Thanks everyone!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Washing dry clean only clothes in some instances would actually prolong the life of the item, not shorten it. Dry cleaning is HARSH on materials.

I believe the TS say dry clean only because of the leather knee patches that can and will bleed. Cold water and take them out of the washer as soon as the cycle is done and hang them up to dry. Otherwise you might get dye transfer.

Not that I've done scientific testing, but I've always washed my TS whereas others in the barn dry cleaned. They had the knee patches dry up and crack eventually. I have several pairs still going strong years later with knee patches in perfect shape.

When I was younger my mom would wash my TS at home - cold water, everything was fine. Problems came up when she thought "I'll just throw them in the dryer instead of line drying them!" Between that and putting on ~5lbs, suddenly I had 3 pairs of TS that didn't fit anymore. Bought new Ariats to replace them (I like the Ariats better anyway) and now I cold-water wash them at home too - but I ONLY line dry afterwards!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"