The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking My filly.

I wasn't active here when my girl was born. It finally dawned on me when I was composing an email today about her to a trainer I was certain I'd informed.

Anyway, I was a civilian contractor in Iraq so I actually had discretionary income for once. (Silly me, I thought I could keep it going...)

Pintopiaffe was having a bad winter so I emailed her about a mare lease. No sooner was that agreed on than I saw the webpage for *Nico. http://www.nicopintostallion.com I secured a breeding from them and PP tried for TWO YEARS to get one of her mares pregnant, and finally got Danny (The Big Bay Broodmare Extraordinaire, RIP) to settle.

Then on Friday, the 13th of July, 2007, I woke up to three emails: 1) Watching begins, 2) Milk, and 3) It's a filly!

I was in shock. All of these years of taking care of other people's horses and I finally have one of my own - dark bay and white (I had secretly wished for black and white) and a filly. Perfect. PP described her thus:

Dann stayed down a looooong time before getting up--all that good
    placental transfer! Filly was trying to rise before her back feet were
    even out. She's got a girly little whinny too. STRONG AND SMART. I
    tell ya, girls rule over the boys! She's really big. Vibrant.
    ...and Vibrant became her barn name.

Now she lives in Ohio with a delightfully twisted person who not only knows a great deal about horse care, she continues to learn. F'ex, she was not a filly/mare person until meeting Vi. Now they're bonded. :-)

That's kind of a regular thing with Vi - everyone loves her. She is sensible, willing, engaging and not bad on the eye. She loves to work. And she's a moose - somewhere in the neighborhood of 16hh and 1,200 lbs. She's such an airfern it's hard to keep her from gaining weight.

So her breeding is Friesian/Dutch Warmblood and Saddlebred/Arabian. Obviously not a choice cross but it worked.

Stills: http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/WarHorse1/Vibrant/

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxQEjl8KKp8 (Ye gods that was about a year ago!)

So, I thought I'd catch y'all up if anyone was interested. Don't ask when I'll ride her because that was never the plan. She is way too talented for me to mess her up, so she will get professional training if I have to sell my organs to pay for it. So there. Nyah.

Cheers.
    HR/MPL Clique

"I am villifying you - for God's sake, pay attention!" - Peter O'Toole as Henry II, The Lion in Winter

She's lovely!

Julie

No, she is Vibrant! And spectacular! AND her human should get his butt on her as he WILL NOT ruin her no matter what he says. Girls like this don't come often and I know R will be veeeery happy when he get his first spin around Vi's farm on his girl!

Hugs from BB

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse View Post
    Don't ask when I'll ride her because that was never the plan. She is way too talented for me to mess her up,
    Well, Woody, if that ain't the lamest excuse I ever heard, you goose! If we all waited until we were good enough for our horses, none of us would ever ride at all!

Love you mare ~ thanks for sharing your photos ~ I agree ~ get her trained and ride her !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by oppsie2 View Post
    No, she is Vibrant! And spectacular! AND her human should get his butt on her as he WILL NOT ruin her no matter what he says. Girls like this don't come often and I know R will be veeeery happy when he get his first spin around Vi's farm on his girl!

Hugs from BB
    Oh will you STOP! I have to have ME trained!

If I can land the right horse job (and there are a *very* few possibilities) they can train her and teach me, then, someday, I'll show her.

But I do know my limitations and if you saw the video capture I looked at last night (me riding Rusty) - chair seat from hell!

But thank you for the vote. I am PERFECTLY happy being her chew-toy.

BTW, you need to start stretching your hips NOW. She's twice as wide as your boy.
    HR/MPL Clique

"I am villifying you - for God's sake, pay attention!" - Peter O'Toole as Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Quote Originally Posted by anita m View Post
    Woody
    Who? <looks around innocently>
    HR/MPL Clique

Thanks, Woody, for sharing here.

You are far too modest about your horse training skills, but none of us are getting any younger and getting a pro to start her is a good idea anyway. She does look ready.

Best regards from Fantasia and Dr. Horsefeathers.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Hey L! I saw your post in the smoking thread and thought "Who wants to be composted in their horse manure pile?"

Thanks for dropping by.
    HR/MPL Clique

She's very pretty!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Hay! I know that filly!

I've been wrapped up in little Hielo's tough beginning and didn't see this.

She looks FAB!

***Warning*** that haunch will grow and grow and grow... and eventually in three or four years the withers will catch up and eventually surpass...

Glad you and she are doing well.

Oh--and *unconventional* mebbe... but ASB x Dutch is not unusual at all--the Dutch actually imported some ASB for an experiment... and the Arabo-Friesian is actually quite old in Europe. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say it was a pretty good nick for an F1!

Will be doing it again with her granddaughter & Cadence in Color when the right time comes.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Awwwww, W (both Woody and Warhorse), she just continues to get more and more beautiful. And, I can't wait to see that inevitable picture of you riding her. I have patience. I can wait until she is trained. But, I will see it!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Thank you - I wish I could claim some of the pretty genes!

J - we've noticed the 'elevated haunch' (polite way of saying 'big butt') and that the withers does start to catch up but never gets there.

Did Dann throw any other moose?
    HR/MPL Clique

According to legend, lurking in a dark alley.

Don't let him kid you - he rides just fine!

Evidence:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...utBitingMe.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    ... I can't wait to see that inevitable picture of you riding her. I have patience. I can wait until she is trained. But, I will see it!
    If I have anything to do with it, next time he comes around here. If only for a photo.

... Also she is not dark bay, but a 'fading black' (& white). She would have tan around her nose if she was a dark bay or brown, and she doesn't.

Read more:
    http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a