The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Am I Just Impatient?

So, I put in an adoption application to offer a home to a horse. I submitted it weeks ago, sent follow up e-mails and can't get them to respond to any of my inquiries. I have the references they require and heck, I even took on one of their rehab horses a few years back and did THREE surgeries on this guy which I paid for out of my own pocket.

So what gives? Rescues say that they need to adopt horses out but when they get applications, they sit on them.

I'm still hunting for a mini and I'm sure the rescue will contact me after I've already brought something home. Then, knowing my luck, I'll have the earmark of wasting the rescue's time.

I run a rescue and don't think you are being impatient.

Have you tried calling or just emailing? You might try calling just to make sure they're receiving your emails. Sometimes emails don't go through and then people feel they're being ignored. If you call and don't get a call within say 3-4 days, I would give up on them. (Ideally you'll get a call back more quickly, but most rescues are run by volunteers who may not always be as fast as we would like them ).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I've dealt with several rescues and don't think you're being impatient at all! A week or two is one thing...but more than that without even a response at all, thats pretty long. I'd try a phone call!

As you can see from the plethora of threads on this board, there are some very poorly run rescues out there. Good luck.

In my area there are always miniatures that need rescued. We had so many mini breeding farms pop up a while back and now the mini fad seems to be over...

I'd try one more time "Please let me know if you have any available for adoption. I'm ready to bring one home." be sure to leave your phone # on the email, and absolutely call.
    They could have been swamped and your info got buried.

Then try another rescue, post on the Giveaways here, try the ABR forum, Craigslist, etc. Good Luck. There is one out there waiting for a home.

I don't think you're being impatient. In fact, I think it is quite rude that they haven't gotten back to you. Try giving them a call and telling them that if they don't want to deal with you, that you will just adopt from someone else.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs down

In your shoes, I'd stop trying to get through to these folks, and find another rescue that actually wants to adopt out horses. And I certainly wouldn't want to deal with any entity whose response time is so lengthy. Just think - if you actually did manage to adopt one of their horses, this is the kind of "customer service" you can look forward to in future. I'd be running like crazy in the opposite direction. There are lots of reputable rescues out there - go find one.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

OlympicPrincess, where are you located?

In my past experience with this rescue, phone calls aren't the best way to go. I did leave one message without response.

Looks like my hunt continues...