The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

OK--my mare has us stumped and we are running out of time...I need your help!

On Saturday morning, trainer noticed she didn't clean up her grain, pulled her back in the barn where she presented with mild colic signs. Called the vet out--when going to do a rectal palp they twitched her--eyes rolled back a bit at which time my trainer and vet noticed that the sclera (the white ring around the eye) was YELLOW--pulled blood and took temp--temp was 104.8, Urine was dark Put on bute an banamine and got fever down.

Sat pm fever back up to 105, bute again--fever breaks--Urine was black--really dark

Sun am--fever back up to 103.5--more bute to control fever--urine still dark

By Monday am--no change, no colic signs, still yellow sclera. Blood work came back--liver, kidney, everything was perfect. Additional bloodwork came back HORRIBLE--my vet's exact words were "Everything is upside down--this mare shouldn't be alive"

By Monday afternoon, ALL membranes were YELLOW--gums, tongue, sclera, you name it--it was supposed to be pink, it was yellow. Pulled more blood--blood was tinged yellow--vet is now in hyper mode and putting mare on massive doses of steroids and penicillan--still waiting on blood work to come back.

Here are the possibilities I have been given:

Red Maple Poisoning--OK--not a tree of any kind in sight so doubtful

Leptospirosis--could be--no eye lesions--we are testing for the titers now

Autoimmune disease????

If anyone has any input PLEASE let me know--we are fighting the clock right now. OH--in all of this--she is not depressed--just a tad lethargic and has a great appetite so far.

Thanks for your help

Proud Member of Wood Hill Farm who's motto is "I'm not going sober!"

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 05, 2003 at 07:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 06, 2003 at 09:56 AM.]

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 06, 2003 at 03:35 PM.]

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 07, 2003 at 10:32 AM.]

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 07, 2003 at 10:39 AM.]

On Saturday morning, trainer noticed she didn't clean up her grain, pulled her back in the barn where she presented with mild colic signs. Called the vet out--when going to do a rectal palp they twitched her--eyes rolled back a bit at which time my trainer and vet noticed that the sclera (the white ring around the eye) was YELLOW--pulled blood and took temp--temp was 104.8, Urine was dark Put on bute an banamine and got fever down.

Sat pm fever back up to 105, bute again--fever breaks--Urine was black--really dark

By Monday am--no change, no colic signs, still yellow sclera. Blood work came back--liver, kidney, everything was perfect. Additional bloodwork came back HORRIBLE--my vet's exact words were "Everything is upside down--this mare shouldn't be alive"

By Monday afternoon, ALL membranes were YELLOW--gums, tongue, sclera, you name it--it was supposed to be pink, it was yellow. Pulled more blood--blood was tinged yellow--vet is now in hyper mode and putting mare on massive doses of steroids and penicillan--still waiting on blood work to come back.

Here are the possibilities I have been given:

Red Maple Poisoning--OK--not a tree of any kind in sight so doubtful

Leptospirosis--could be--no eye lesions--we are testing for the titers now

Autoimmune disease????

If anyone has any input PLEASE let me know--we are fighting the clock right now. OH--in all of this--she is not depressed--just a tad lethargic and has a great appetite so far.

Thanks for your help

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 05, 2003 at 07:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 06, 2003 at 09:56 AM.]

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 06, 2003 at 03:35 PM.]

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 07, 2003 at 10:32 AM.]

[This message was edited by knowonder on Mar. 07, 2003 at 10:39 AM.]

My diagnosis: SCARY AS ALL GETOUT!!!

At least there's a good vet school in town, that's about all I can offer, that and best wishes. Please let us know what they do find, and--present BB karma aside--for you, I will jingle!

Spay and neuter. Please.

I can't help you with a diagnosis, but thought I'd get this back to the top of the page.

You must be terrified, I know I would be!! Sending hugs and jingles!!

Are you near any vet schools/hospitals (sorry, I'm really not familiar with your area)? If so, I think I'd be loading her up and heading over there as long as she's stable enough.

Your vet sounds like he/she is working hard, but sometimes a whole team of vets may have better luck due to more ideas and better testing facilities.
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

I am only 20 minutes from UT Vet school--the problem is everyone is afraid to take her anywhere because we don't know what it is--if the lepto titers come back positive, then we will have a course of action--if it is autoimmune then basically she'll either be able to fight it or will succumb--there's nothing we can do except help her with the symptoms--the fever and the jaundice. That's what is SO FRUSTRATING!!!!

Our vet's father is one of the head honchos at UT so we have all their diagnostics/lab at our disposal--so that's a plus!

monstrpony--thanks for the good wishes--I definitely wasn't gonna ask for jingles http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Knowonder, some of your symptoms sound similar to what my dog was/is going through. We ran a series of tick borne tests and are still waiting for some of the results. We also tested for the auto immune disease (IMHA) but that has since come back negative. You might want to look into those tests.

"I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay"
    - Dave Matthews

"We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere."
    - Tim McGraw
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

Ethan's Mom--thanks--I'll ask the vet about that!

Quiet little jingle jingles from Toronto. This is a puzzler.
    My horse is bomb-proof.
    Everything else scares the crap outta him, though...

Hi Knowonder,

Sorry to hear about your pony! If you're only 20 minutes from UT, I would take her there. I know you're worried about taking her since you've not yet determined what's going on, but they can isolate her if necessary. More importantly, they have support procedures at the ready if she needs help.

Keep us posted and hugs to you!

Wish I had an answer for you. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif I would get her to the nearest university vet hospital where they can be monitering her 24/7 to try and figure this one out.
    Keep us posted.
    Susan

posted Mar. 04, 2003 09:14 AM

might be useful to know what exactly the "additional bloodwork" <was>...
    will keep you in prayers.
    June
    \"The world\'s greatest achievements often happen on the edge of chaos\"

So sorry to hear this. You must be beside yourself with worry and frustration. I hope your mare recovers very quickly, from whatever this is.

SillyHorse
    ~ Incredible as it may seem, my life is based on a true story.

Quote Originally Posted by rascalpony View Post
    I refuse to ride my cat out of the kitchen, mainly because I don't want to pay the hospital bills.

I have seen yellow membranes/dark urine in species with copper poisoning (from improperly mixed feed)...there is an antidote for that, chelation therapy and saved some. Maybe trot that past the vet to have it ruled out in the differential diagnosis.
    Please let us know.
    June
    \"The world\'s greatest achievements often happen on the edge of chaos\"

June--I surely will--the additional blood work was to check liver/kidney function again and to test for the leptospirosis titers.

As for the feed--I will absolutely run that past the vet. Thanks!

Silly Horse and pmc --Thanks!

slp and cinnabar--I'm on the verge of doing just that--the theory right now is that she is holding her own and everyone is afraid of stressing her in any way--trailer ride, vet school, etc.--if she gets the tiniest bit worse she's going--regardless of anyone's opinion! Appearantly with the current bloodwork, no one understands how she is even standing, much less fighting this and they are afraid if they change her surroundings drastically, that it may start her on a downhill slide she can't recover from--especially since other than monitering, there isn't anything the vet school can do for her--they keep telling me if it is autoimmune, she'll either be able to fight it or she won't but that all we can do is treat the symptoms and help her and if it is lepto--there are certain drugs to give, but agian, nothing the vet school could do. If I can't get a solid diagnosis from this last bit of bloodwork, she's going in anyway--I'm out of options!

Thanks again!

First off, jingles aplenty for one brave mare.

Second--if I understand this properly, the first blood tests came back negative (probably because you caught this so early) and the second series for the same functions PLUS lepto came back off-the-wall bad.

Im going to try to find my vet and run this all past him..one more brain working on this cannot hurt.

sending the best thoughts and energy your way,
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Jingling like mad here!!

I have a mare that was supposed to lose her eye, but successfully made it through a corneal transplant & has regained all of her vision......those mares are tough!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif It is her curb chain I am jingling, so hopefully it will bring y'all extra luck!

"Riding- the art of keeping a horse between yourself & the ground"
    **Co-founder of the Ocularly Challenged Equine Support Group**
    **Proud owner of a spunky Alydar granson**
    ** Proud owner of a geriatric Arab, a primadonna TB show hunter, and one grouchy Appaloosa Miniature Horse**

Knowonder, is there any green acorns in her paddock area? I doubt there would be acorns around now, but check for acorns. I had a pony posisoned from eating acorns, he died, since we did not discover what it was making him so ill until much later in the treatment. My Reg Old Time Vet was out of town, when he got sick...the young vet had never seen it and completely treated him with the wrong protocal and was too late once the Old Timer got back and took one look at the pony and said, "are there acorns in the field?" Yeah!!! We started on correct treatment, but was too late for my pony!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif Check for acorn bearing trees. I hope you find your cause soon and can save her!! Good luck and keep ups posted!!!

Home to the stallions Zillionair, Billionair, Issue of Gold, Gold Card, and Pure White Gold.
    http://www.norsire.com
    Realtor RE/MAX Renaissance, Million Dollar Club

knowonder--

I had a case similar to this some years back--older mare, slightly off feed, a lease between friends--lessee took temp, fairly significant fever. Called me, I didn't find anything significant on physical except "yellow horse" (which can occur fairly quickly in equines, esp. ponies). Pulled blood, liver enzymes were significantly elevated.

Put mare on antibiotics, fever gone, appetite returned. Bloodwork slowly returned to normal.

She had several rounds of this over a couple of years--never could find the cause, since it was decided after many different blood tests and consultation with local vet school gurus that the only thing to do was liver biopsy, and that would give a diagnosis of liver disease of whatever type, and a prognosis, but wouldn't really offer anything in the way of altering treatment. Owner declined, as no real benefit and some risk.

Mare was fine for 5 years or so, then went into a decline and was euthanized (she was fairly elderly by then.) No necropsy done, so I don't know if it was her liver that did her in--she was back home under the care of another DVM.

So I guess I'm just trying to tell you that you might not find out what it is, but she could come out of it.

Of course, these days, there are likely some diagnostic advnaces in things like liver ultrasound, etc. that may help to nail a diagnosis.

Unashamed member of the Arab clique...just settin' on the Group W bench.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.