The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can someone help - possible relocation..

Well I need a horse oriented realtor..I flew to Cleveland and had to work most of the week, but did have time to tour two barns.

I have some questions about one of the barns I visited and you northern folks can probably help with that.

Barn one - very nice, indoor, stalls (small stalls for a large TWH), and limited turnout. Limited by less than 4 hours per day - normal is 1 hour per day which would drive my TWH nutzo..so that barn was out.

Barn two - very nice large lush pastures - 26 acres worth, (saw pictures of pastures, of course when I visited they were under snow), however this concerns me: no indoor arena, 23 hour a day turnout.

Barn feeds hay (nice timothy/alfalfa mix) 24/7. Horses are turned out 23 hours per day and brought in once per day to eat grain. Horses are beautiful though, even the 28 year old I saw. Some had blankets and I would have to provide blanket of course, but I would also have to run out to barn to change or take off blankets.

Barn feeds what I feed. BO is very nice but does not handle the "care" of the horses, that resides with BM. BO takes care of facilities and grounds (wonderful board fence (all new) pastures are seeded, fertilized, etc. Trailer parking on grounds.

My question is: if horses are left out 23 hours a day (and they are not brought in during inclement weather (sleet/freezing rain, snow)..I fear my girl will freeze her hinny off. She shivers if it gets down to freezing and it rains, so stays inside during those times. If I wanted to bring her in, I would have to get off work to do so.

Is this normal? Board is not "cheap" and facility is privately owned and there is no advertising, I found it by word of mouth. I will say the horses do look lovely there (nice heavy coats, some with blankets on) all are fat and healthy. All were QH or Paints and one draft. My horse would not have a stall, she is too large for their stalls and would have a 12 x 16 run in shed with attached paddock so she could eat in peace and then be turned out in the "sacrifice" paddock with the rest of the horses.

Are all stalls up north 10 x 12? The two barns I had time to look at both had those size stalls, my mare couldn't fit comfortably in there - she's 17.1 (almost 17.2).

Just moving her is very scary. Plus I can't find a realtor who understands that I want to live close to my horse, not 30 or 60 minutes away..sigh..and would love to just rent a horse property until I decide whether to stay or go.

Long post..lots to decide. I may just chuck the transfer and try to find something local, but want to make sure I didn't hit two barns that were just undersized..btw - at both barns..my horse would have been the only TWH there and also the largest/tallest horse on the premises.

Guess I am asking northern folks: is it normal to leave a horse out up there (with plenty of hay - he had several round bale feeders which were full and lives right next to barn) in all sorts of weather? Can anyone recommend a horse oriented realtor in the west side of Cleveland.

I am so thankful I am keeping trainer here, all horses if I leave will be cared for and provided for (so no worries about that -vet and farrier are on call), twice daily care and trainer will oversee the horses. I worry about taking my thin skinned no hair TWH up there though, maybe she would better off staying in the south? Then I would have no horse to ride..sigh..I'm very torn about all this.

Thanks for any advice and some of you have already given advice and I do sincerely appreciate it, but was shocked at the size of the stalls..down here we have 12 x 12's and 12 x 14's and all sorts of turnout options, up there it is limited or all the time?

Sidepasser - more worried about my horse than myself.

You can't leave GA!!! You are a Southerner, and you will freeze to death up there!!! NO NO NO!!! Stay put in GA.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

That is what I keep telling myself - lol.."are you nutz???" but at least I have the option available!

My main concern is of course Tyranna and I did locate a few more stables to contact and have sent emails to them.

If I had no horse this would be ez..just rent an apartment and call it a day..but now, not so ez..with the horse of course.

I have other leads and am following up, but horsekeeping seems to be very different up north and I don't want to make a mistake with my mare.

Thanks, maybe I shall find something closer job wise and this will all be a moot point! On the other hand, it is an adventure and I've always felt one should be adventurous in life.
    Meanwhile I shall continue to think "cold frozen north land and try to find suitable clothing..argghh, I had to ORDER a coat from Smartpak just for the trip up this week..we southerners don't have actual coats..lol...

So it is definite that you are being transferred? I know you had said on the other thread it might happen.

OK, I talked to MaryLou today, who is from there but has lots of family still there, and I'll try to get some info for you.

I know someone on here has Arabians and a farm up there.

Why don't you hit the tack stores/feed stores up there and see if anyone has an apt for rent at a barn? Hang your own wanted poster in the stores. And put an advert in local craigslist for a barn and for an apt on a farm.

Adventures are fun and should be undertaken-however do you not remember LAST WEEKEND? I believe I read you fussing about cold as much as me. You can't leave. We shall institute border guards that have big signs that say NO SIDEPASSER TO LEAVE GA. Tyrana will agree. She will freeze, lol....
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Wink

I'd say keep looking. Ask in feed stores, and tack shops. It may be that there are small places off the beaten track that would better suit you.

Also check with equine veterinarians, and farriers. They always know who is where and what is good management.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Our climate in Maryland is not as wintery as Ohio, but I can offer you one perspective --
    not having an indoor will put a serious dent in your riding in winter...
    but living out, not so much.
    My horses live out in a 70 acre field with a run in shed. They are absolutely fine in all weather. Mine sound like easier keepers than yours, granted, but in our herd of 20+ there are others that need more "help."

You should find out a bit more about the other boarders at the barn. At my barn the field boarders all help each other out -- so if someone needs a blanket change or horse needs an extra meal, very easy to email around and find someone to do it.
    Mine only get rain sheets in cold rain -- they have a bib clip, stay warm in even the teens this way.
    I would imagine yours will need more blanketing if she's thin skinned or not used to the weather -- but it is certainly doable!!
    But no indoor, that's a toughie....
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Guess I am asking northern folks: is it normal to leave a horse out up there (with plenty of hay - he had several round bale feeders which were full and lives right next to barn) in all sorts of weather?
    There is no "normal" in Ohio anymore than there is a "normal" in Georgia. But if you're asking if some northern barns do this, yes, absolutely. Even my thin-skinned TB did well being turned out 24/7 with free choice round bale hay. The hay is really key; that whole business about horses generating heat from the inside is so true. That said, if it doesn't fit your wants or needs, by all means keep looking!

Also try to remember that northern cold and southern cold are not necessarily comparable. You guys get that humid, wet, icky cold that goes right down to the bone. Most of the cold up here looks colder by the thermometer, but it's more of a dry cold. You can address dry cold with proper blanketing--not so with wet cold. It was under 20 degrees here for nearly two weeks, and my horse was snug as a bug. But the day that it went up to 40 degrees and rainy, he was a smidge chilly.

I second jn4jenny on the 'cold' issue, having moved to PA after living in GA for 13 years. I used to get 'cold' (ok, frozen) in GA somewhere just under 50 degrees. Now I can be out in just a long-sleeved shirt at 35, depending on the humidity and wind. I'll be the first to admit that my horses are happier with the move north than I am. They look MUCH happier at 10 degrees than they did at 95, swatting at bugs and trying to stay cool in the shade. My horses have a run-in and spend all but the nasty wet days out. They spend more time in the run-in when it is hot and sunny.
    An indoor would be nice, we barely ride in Dec, Jan, and Feb. Any riding that gets done is usually walk/trot. Good time to work on some basics though... and I don't imagine it's so awful for the horses to have some "down time".
    But not being in Ohio I can't actually help you with your search. I would suggest not stressing out *too* much because if you are just looking to board somewhere you can always move your horse(s) if the situation doesn't work out... not like buying the wrong house or something. Good luck!

What discipline do you ride? Don't know much about west side of Cleveland but will check w/ the girlfriend who rode eventing and boarded on west side around Lodi. Re: riding in the frozen tundra, an indoor is a must. We did h/j boarding in Chagrin, LOVED the barn, just spent the weekend w/ the owners (we've moved due to my job) and miss it (and them) terribly. If you are not committed to west side of Cleveland, east and south have more boarding opportunities. Our stalls in Chagrin were 12' by 14'. Also, stay away from rolled bails, potential problems with botulism.
    Last edited by dogontired; Jan. 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add add'l info

As purely a matter of personal preference, having to change blankets myself would be a dealbreaker. In the case of Barn 2, unless you were there during that one hour (is it the same every day?), you would likely have to bring your horse in to blanket him. As dinner time approaches, you might well have to deal with a pushy herd trying to get out of the gate. That might not bother some, but I would prefer not to deal with it. Based on this alone, I would continue looking.

My sister went to school in Ohio, and what I remember from visiting her is that WIND! Get ye a good jacket.
    <><

sidepasser- believe it or not a 17h horse CAN fit in a 10x10 stall and be ok.. . especially if it is only for an hour to eat. My TB is 17h and we are FROM up north. It's not ideal by anymeans, but they do just fine. Blanket wise, just get one with a good range of temps and she'll do fine.

IMO though, an indoor is a MUST.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I will keep looking - lol..I plan another trip up in March and will not be working so will have more time to find feed stores, etc. The no indoor bothered me, as I watched horses standing in up to two feet deep snow drifts and thought, this would be tough to ride in every day..also the ground was pretty icy where there weren't snow drifts because of trucks driving over it and so forth.

The cold wasn't like the GA. cold for sure, I was ok in temps that ranged from 28 to 32 and snowing with just a sweater and my coat and had some waterproof boots on. Didn't seem like that bone chilling cold that we have down here in Ga.

I found a dressage barn in S. Amherst and one in Avon on the Lake and have emailed both as both have indoors and both have some turnout. There are a few hunter/jumper barns close by but I don't jump so would likely not fit in as well there.

Are there any publications similiar to Stablemates up there? I tried a google search but didn't come up with anything other than the Ohio dressage website.

Thanks all, this is a huge decision and I am researching carefully before I commit.

Sidepasser-Don't discount a barn because it isn't your discipline, unless they require lessons and showing in their discipline. If you widen your criteria focusing on the indoor and turnout you need you might find more and I hope you find the perfect place. And there's no way you can do without an indoor. And for winter riding and regular clothes the spring sales at all of the big retailers (LL Bean, Lands End, Eddie Bauer and the horsey places) should start soon and that'll save you a bundle on winter gear for you and the horse. To get the facilities you need for your horse and riding you might have to pick a barn further away from your job, and it might be easier to get an apartment near the barn as opposed to the job, since you'll go to work five days a week and to the barn six or seven.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I would recommend amending your title to add the new location. Someone who lives in that area is much more likely to look at your thread then.

I lived in Michigan for 30 years. My horses could go in and out of the barn and were only stalled in blizzards and very bitter cold (negative wind chills). They were NEVER blanketed and never needed it. They all looked like furry Yaks, but they did just fine in the cold. I live in Kentucky now and one of my horses was bred and raised in Louisianna. He was shaved when I purchased him in October that year, so he had a tough winter his first winter here. I had to blanket him with a very heavy turnout. He has adjusted fine and now gets a heavy enough winter coat. I think your horse will adjust to the climate, although it may take her a winter to do so.

My girl has gone from being a pampered pet, now living life out 24/7. The weaving has stopped, the kicking has gotten better & her overall attitude is good. Proper turnout blankets are a must.. She is fed grain twice a day & has hay in front of her all day. I don't know what it is about being out, but happy seems to be the trend.

I found a dressage barn in S. Amherst and one in Avon on the Lake and have emailed both as both have indoors and both have some turnout. There are a few hunter/jumper barns close by but I don't jump so would likely not fit in as well there.

Note: on west side of Cleveland, an indoor is mandatory. East side gets the snow, west side (especially Avon/Rocky River) gets the ice.

Are there any publications similiar to Stablemates up there? I tried a google search but didn't come up with anything other than the Ohio dressage website.

Note: don't know what Stablemates is, but here's the Northern Ohio Dressage Assn website, may have some good info for you: http://nodarider.org/

Tack shops: Big Dee's, Schneiders, and Paddock are all on east side (Big Dee's in Streetsboro, other 2 in Chagrin). Paddock has really really good dressage stuff. I never went to this tack shop, but it was highly recommended by a number of folks, and would be on your side of town, Valley Tack Shop, here's their website: http://www.valleytackshopinc.com/

There's a feed store in Valleyview, but I can't recall the name, is off of 77 and 480. Also, do check the Rocky River barn at the metropark, I'm pretty sure they have an indoor. One extra thing to remember, almost all of the metroparks in Cleveland have bridle paths which are beautiful, well-maintained for horseriding purposes, and relaxing.

Finally, best mall in Cleveland will be close to you, Crocker Park. Also, Heinen's for groceries, more expensive than Giant Eagle but the food is terrific and there's lots of take-home food.

Best of luck to you and your babies on your relo.