The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default God bless our dog.

Today all my dreams came true, when I caught my 3.5 year old sitting atop our Golden Retriever yelling "walk on Shandy!"

This, from the kid who I was pretty sure really wasn't into the horse thing. I was so excited.... the dog staggered around for a few seconds... then I realized oh crap poor dog... time to get the toddler off!

I promised Little FG I'd pop her on a pony ASAP. My old TB despises children but we have a few kid safe horses at the barn so I think I will see if I can borrow one...

Or maybe we should just stick to dance class.... a lot less expensive....

(And seriously we have the best dog ever.... she has earned her wings by being the quintessential family dog...)
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Too cute ~ great story ~ get that kid a cute "spot" pony !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

absolutely love it!!! what a hoot (poor puppy )
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

She did a *perfect* dismount too when I told her to get off...

What a healthy, well balanced child you have.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

SOOOOOO cute!!! You're lucky your dog tolerates that kind of stuff... and hey, now you have an excuse to borrow/ lease/ buy/ rescue an adorable tiny pony for your kid!
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

My childhood dog was waaay too small to ride. But my parents knew they were screwed when I rigged up a harness, put on a pair of roller skates, and drove him instead. Congrats!

Aw heck, I'm 29 and I still try to ride the dog sometimes. He's a terrible pony.

You have my congratulations and my sympathies.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I'll help train the pony for her. There's a cute little chestnut on Craigslist right now. (:

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I'll help train the pony for her. There's a cute little chestnut on Craigslist right now. (:
    Sarah, you will totally be my pony jock!

Vandy you get extra points for creativity.

Today she told me she's going to be a good rider, but she wants me to hold the horse. And that she will tell him to "giddy-up." She wants pink boots and a pink helmet.

Part of me is saying HOORAY and the other is saying OH SH!T what have I done...

Bless the old-style Goldens. I, too, had one growing up, and I did ride him. I also taught him to jump (from the ground, not astride) and to longe. I even made him cannon boots. Poor dog was a saint.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Hey, dancing is almost as expensive as horseback riding. If not more!

My parents payed almost 9,000 a year for me to take dance lessons every.single.week-- multiply that by two children, and you spend A LOT. And that doesn't include new shoes, new skirts, new 'tards, custom made dance costumes for competitions, and travel money. (as in, hotel, food, etc.)

That's a lot more than what I spend on horseback riding lessons in a year. Now, if I had a horse of my own, that might change. Buttttt. I don't.

Your damned lucky that dog was a saint (this time...).

*Every* dog has the potential to bite. A 3-year-old unsupervised (even "just for a second") around a dog--any dog--is just courting disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Your damned lucky that dog was a saint (this time...).

*Every* dog has the potential to bite. A 3-year-old unsupervised (even "just for a second") around a dog--any dog--is just courting disaster.
    Ok, Debbie Downer.

if ever there was an appropriate time for this...

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.c...s-not-pony.jpg

Cute story, OP! I was just thinking that your dog is clearly an answer to the 'all dogs bite' thing when...

Your damned lucky that dog was a saint (this time...). *Every* dog has the potential to bite. A 3-year-old unsupervised (even "just for a second") around a dog--any dog--is just courting disaster.
    Well, that's ironic as a response to a story where a dog clearly is one of the MANY who somehow manage to not bite kids. Seriously, I hate that 'all dogs can bite' cant. It's a seriously ugly backlash coming straight the worst side of the rescue world, where the desire to 'save' biters and difficult dogs has led to the vilification of all dogs in some sort of perverse desire to make sure everyone knows it's not (Insert Breed/Type/Individual here) we need to fear, it's ALL DOGS. It's selfish, mindless political argument and I loathe it. It's ultimately bad for dogs. They don't all bite. The ones who have bitten fall into different categories, as do those who show signs they could bite under specific circumstance, and this fact should be highly respected by anyone who owns a dog, not glossed over as "Well, your dog has teeth too!! So he could bite! They all bite!!"

FG, you'll be the best horse show mom ever!

I took in the Dover catalog to work that had the short stirrup kid on the cover and told my co-worker we needed to get her 5 year old into lessons stat!

Hmmm, thanks citydog. Should have guessed I'd get at least one of those responses when I posted last night... guess it was late and I was tired.

Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical of a lot of dogs, particularly with kids. Having worked at a small animal vet clinic, and doing most of the restraining, I've seen how they can get, particularly when stressed or handled in a way they don't like. I'd say to some degree, YES, they all have the potential to bite... just like every horse has the potential to bite/kick/rear/bolt/spook...

And I've been ridiculously careful about watching Little FG with the dog. She's learned, for the most part, to respect her and her space. Obviously situations like the one I posted about happen occasionally, with my back turned.... and I thank goodness that our dog is as tolerant as she is. I was literally 5 feet away, setting the table for dinner. Sometimes I DO have to take eyes off of kid and dog.

Dog was 8 months old when baby came home, sure it has been a learning curve for both. I can honestly say we lucked out with our dog. There are very few dogs I'd even want in the house around kids. She is absolutely the sweetest, most laid-back, easy going, submissive creature on the planet.

So I will admit I've gotten less stringent when it comes to dog/toddler interaction. Dog will usually go somewhere else if she's tired of the toddler. Toddler has learned not to mess with dog if doggie walks away.

But for the most part, Dog is usually glued to toddler's side, and they are quite good buddies.

Now my mom's two dogs, forget it. I don't even leave kiddo in the same room with them, even though they've never bit anyone or been aggressive... they just give me the vibe that they'd get pissed if kid got a little goofy...

Anyway, part of the deal I made with Little FG was no more riding the doggie... I will find her a horse to ride instead, because doggies are just not made for riding...!

You're damned lucky that dog was a saint (this time...).

God, dunno how I survived my childhood then. I was always messing with our dogs and never got bitten once. Just because every dog has teeth doesn't mean that they're going to use them.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!