The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York

Default Highschoolers in NYC who actively ride...help!

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that some high school students from NYC could either respond of PM me. I ride on Long Island, but that means I can only ride weekends. I am getting really frustrated with this, and I was hoping I could find some others who had a similar situation and could help me figure out how to make it work logistically and financially. I know there are lots of upper end barns like Nona Garson's Stacia Madden's Max Amaya's Frank Madden's etc. within 1 hour, but is it really do-able for a 5-6 day a week rider? Is there any way to make it financially feasible? (No, when I say Long Island, I don't mean I ride at Wollfer's or Toppings, or with Patrick Rice. Good trainer, not that kind of money) I also know about Riverdale/Hunter's Landing. Personal experiences (especially with Hunter's Landing/Joey Currais would be appreciated)
    I know the NYC riding thread has been done often, but usually it goes to PM, making it an invalid resource for me.

Thanks!
    "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
    "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York

207 people read this and no one has any thoughts????
    bumpp
    "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
    "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

I expect that you need more closely to decribe what kind of riding you are looking to do---what level are you---will you compete----do you have your own horse---looking for one?
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

a friend of mine often gets horses from joey, and she says hes wonderful.

ive seen some of his riders and horses/ponies at shows, and they're also awesome.

i dont have any experience with him myself, though
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I know several people who did it, but none were in a school with regular hours. Two were at the Professional Childrens School, and another only had 4 days of school per week. It also depends on whether your parents are willing to make the drive with you every day after school.

I rode six days a week while in high school while attending nyc private school. I also commuted back and forth from fl in high school during WEF as well as indoors etc. I missed a good amount of school for horse shows but made it work. However, I did have to cut back on having a social life but still got good grades. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

I used to ride at Riverdale when I lived in NY feel free to give me a PM
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

You need to be more specific: Do you have a car, or a parent with a car who is willing to drive you 60 to 90 minutes (one -way) to an "A" barn? And do you have the means to commute via plane to indoors and Florida?

If not, my advice would be to get a position as working student and/or scale back your ambitions for now. I live in NYC and aside from Riverdale I can't think of any barn within 45 minutes of Penn Station/Grand Central.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."