The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default boring

Apparently someone doesn't like the "helmet clause" thread so now I'm being investigated by another rescue as a result of an update I posted on the Christmas pony thread.

Would anyone consider this harassment? Not calling me directly to ask for information means to me that there is an agenda other than checking on the pony. There is no reason to believe the pony is not getting adequate care so why would I not be called directly? Can I expect proprietor of rescue who is p-d off at the otehr thread to be showing up at my doorstep to accuse me of neglect.

Geesh I feel like I'm tangling with the mafia.

Call the rescue and have them come get their pony and they are more then welcome to adopt it out again.

There are plenty of good rescues out there, even if it is in the contract if you feel you are being harrassed get out of the situation and help another pony out.

If you are complying with the terms of the agreement you have with them, then you have no problem.

Talk to them. If they are being reasonable, be reasonable back. If they are being unreasonable, tell them to "piss off" and come and get damn pony.

To quote those folks always trying to sell you a cash-out on your annuity or structured settlement: It's your money; spend it the way you want to!!!!!!!!!!

G.

Default Whoa Sue calm down

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Apparently someone doesn't like the "helmet clause" thread so now I'm being investigated by another rescue as a result of an update I posted on the Christmas pony thread.

Would anyone consider this harassment? Not calling me directly to ask for information means to me that there is an agenda other than checking on the pony. There is no reason to believe the pony is not getting adequate care so why would I not be called directly? Can I expect proprietor of rescue who is p-d off at the otehr thread to be showing up at my doorstep to accuse me of neglect.

Geesh I feel like I'm tangling with the mafia.
    Sue no one is harrassing you. I emailed you and also called vet farrier to find out what was wrong with Snow White. I didn't know there was a problem as I didn't receive an email or phone call from you. I also didn't know there was a thread about this until someone informed me a short time ago. After I was told, the calls were made and I also sent an email to you to cover the bases to get an update since I didn't have one and to see what was needed (if anything). I also was going to call you, but I was on the telephone with another case. It was possible neglect that our vet was helping with - turned out no neglect, thank God.

As for the helmet thing... I only tried to help with mediation so that it didn't get out of hand with you not liking the other rescue's contract. I made a statement in general and I think the Mafia thing is going a bit far. Maybe because of the two incidents you're overly sensitive at the moment but I can assure you that I just want to make sure all is ok. If help is needed please let us know via email as I am not able to visit the forums with any frequency. Thank you.

Christy www.ac4h.com

Default You two need to speak.

It sounds to me that it was entirely unreasonable not picking up the phone and speaking to you first.

I see that "Christy" managed to track you down here well enough and I see she says she sent you an email AND also contacted the farrier. If she did both those things at the same time, then WRONG!!!!

May be coincidental or it may not be. Only Christy can say why she's come looking for you.

In my opinion it's not harassment but it's unacceptable and sneaky and devious not to make a little more effort and to give you a call and say "Hey, heard something and wanted to talk about it".

If she's come looking because she's gravely concerned well and good but the contact should have first been direct to you in my opinion. If she's become interested just because of your other posting, then I'd also add "petty" and "small minded" because it seems bizarre to have no interest until you ask generally about a Rescue's practices.

Likewise though I think it's not the right thing to do when something like this happens to go post about it on a bulletin board.

You two need to speak !

You'd both be much better off taking this offline and away from public scrutiny. You're best advised to get the Moderator to remove this thread totally.

Or else you need to just conclude that having folks all over you when you believe it's not necessary or wanted just isn't for you and tell them to collect their pony and get one with no strings attached.

But if both of you are serious about giving this or any pony a second chance, then it's talk that's required..... not emails... not going behind backs... not speaking to other people. Talk to each other directly!

My jaw is on the ground.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Wow, this whole thing is crazy. lol.

Thomas is right.

Keep it personal, on the phone, in emails, etc. (I think emails are good as a lot of people have iphones and crackberries, so emails are as good as phone calls to some._

Here in the southland our farriers and vets gossip about everyone, so everyone knows whose horses/ponies have crappy feet and illnesses. So we don't think too much of it if someone asks the farrier about our horses, much less about rescues.

Deleted because I am too angry to even speak about it
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    This will be the last time I try to do anything nice like this again. I end looking like an ass because I was unable to keep track of the whole shenanigans because my life sort of well, fell apart for the past two months.

You know what? She was a broker horse, and a beat up one at that. The whole deal with Christmas Pony is to find one that is basically in need of a Hospice home and we all know those don't come free. So we raise how much money? Enough for Snow White and Trace and some gas money to boot and now we are complaining because Snow White needs care.

OF COURSE SHE DOES.

If you cannot afford to care for her as implied on the Christmas Pony thread Sketcher (which is what I think this whole thing revolves around) then we will find her a suitable home through Christy. But if cost and time is an issue why would you contact NEER about fostering another horse anyway?

Frankly I think the way this whole thing is being handled is disgusting and everyone needs to grow a pair and act like adults. Take it up between yourselves...you aren't doing anyone (or the horses in need!) a favor!
    Whoa thanks for this post. I did not read the Christmas pony thread, and had no idea. Thanks again C for enlightening us.

btw I understand the horse she wants from the other rescue is very good looking, which may have something to do with her anger at having to sign a restrictive adoption agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Whoa thanks for this post. I did not read the Christmas pony thread, and had no idea. Thanks again C for enlightening us.

btw I understand the horse she wants from the other rescue is very good looking, which may have something to do with her anger at having to sign a restrictive adoption agreement.

I'm just really angry that something started as a way to do something really good needs to turn into something ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Here in the southland our farriers and vets gossip about everyone, so everyone knows whose horses/ponies have crappy feet and illnesses. So we don't think too much of it if someone asks the farrier about our horses, much less about rescues.
    Very true. I for one think nothing of asking my farrier about my friends' horses and I expect my friends ask my farrier about mine, too. In fact, the very best way to get out information is to put it on farrier-net.

But then, tendin' to each others' bidness is one of our regional pastimes down here.

I think is just proof that you need to be careful who you adopt to AND who you adopt from.

If the rescue just out of the blue called the farrier based on a prompting from the OPs other thread that's pretty sneaky, low, and backhanded.

If something is wrong with the OP I understand, but it's such a big coincidence.

I don't understand what the horse being attractive has to do with the poster having issues with an adoption contract?

I'm confused. Was Snow White a broker owned or an adoption?
    Is she the one with the sinking founder in all 4 feet that was just posted about recently?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I think is just proof that you need to be careful who you adopt to AND who you adopt from.

If the rescue just out of the blue called the farrier based on a prompting from the OPs other thread that's pretty sneaky, low, and backhanded.

If something is wrong with the OP I understand, but it's such a big coincidence.

I don't understand what the horse being attractive has to do with the poster having issues with an adoption contract?
    My understanding is that this is indeed a giant somewhat coincidental mess. I just wish it could have been handled privately to avoid saddling up the drama llama. Snow White was chosen because she was in need...in the true spirit of the COTH Christmas Pony, and it makes me very sad that the whole thing has an stain on it.

Look, someone copied your post before you erased it.

You're accusing the poster of some pretty nasty things.

The pony isn't an adoption, if it was purchased from the broker then AC4H is doing nothing but acting as a liason which means they have no contractual right to check up on the pony or bother the OP's farrier. The pony was sold free and clear and it's up to the OP to do what she wants.

The OP has called a vet who is doing bloodwork. It's up to her to decide how much money and time she wants to sink into the pony. Is she financially obligagted to go to the ends of the earth? No. Is she obligated to do the best she can and do what is best for the pony? Yep.

If the pony is really that bad then why can't she decide to put it down herself without a bunch of people being nasty abou tit.

If she decides the pony is too bad to recover or will be too expensive then why can't she put the pony down and rescue again? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Help those you can and help ease the passing of those you can't?

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Look, someone copied your post before you erased it.

You're accusing the poster of some pretty nasty things.

The pony isn't an adoption, if it was purchased from the broker then AC4H is doing nothing but acting as a liason which means they have no contractual right to check up on the pony or bother the OP's farrier. The pony was sold free and clear and it's up to the OP to do what she wants.

The OP has called a vet who is doing bloodwork. It's up to her to decide how much money and time she wants to sink into the pony. Is she financially obligagted to go to the ends of the earth? No. Is she obligated to do the best she can and do what is best for the pony? Yep.

If the pony is really that bad then why can't she decide to put it down herself without a bunch of people being nasty abou tit.

If she decides the pony is too bad to recover or will be too expensive then why can't she put the pony down and rescue again? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Help those you can and help ease the passing of those you can't?
    Yep. My reading of the AC4H contract on their page is they are acting as the go-between and these are PURCHASES, not adoptions, when bought directly from the brokers. Which means that AC4H doesn't have any real call to be calling the farrier. The OP is the owner, and can chose what she does or doesn't want to share. If the pony foundered, it's up to her to decide whether or not to put it down, as unless there was a written contract based on it being the COTH Christmas pony, the OP is the owner, she's the only one responsible for paying for treatment, and as such, she's the only one who can decide whether or not it's worth treating.

Would it really surprise anyone if Snow White foundered or was Cushingoid? She was pudgy and fuzzy in the pictures, she's from who knows where, and she's undergone the stress of auction, the feedlot, and being sent to a new place to live in a very short period.

The first thought that came to my mind when I saw a photo of the pony was "cushingoid"...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

cushings is a major problem in aged ponies. no matter the breed, no matter the pedigree. its just a fact of ponies. my mare had it and lost her battle to old age at 45+ years of age in august. cushings was easily treated with her and she managed. no major issues at all.

As far as i'm concerned the OP is being very immature about this entire thing and needs to start acting like an adult and stop posting it all over theplace. be a professional, handle it professionally, call AC4H if you are concerned/have an issue. obviously everyone is confused.