The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Half Chaps and spurs (question and vent)

Annoyed. I've been searching a while for a decent pair of full grain half chaps, without ankle snaps, for under 150. Ariats are cheap and ugly, but the tack stores around here (Tampa Bay) seem to carry only Ariat and cheaper ones (Seriously, Ariat is NOT good quality, I wish they'd see it! I'm sick to death of these boutiquey little tack shops with no selection and over-priced crap. I want Dover.)

Anyways, I used to live in NH where Dover is, and my mother still lives there so she can get them for me. So, my question is, do I really need to get chaps without ankle snaps if I wear spurs? Or do you know of half chaps with snaps that don't get in the way of the spur? I've seen recommendations for Tredstep and GP, what others are good? I almost refuse to pay the price for China-made Ariats these days. I was not impressed with the quality and sent mine back.

Also, if anyone down here knows of a GOOD tack shop around Tampa Bay, I will drive a bit to get to it. Most of the ones around here are way over-priced little boutiques. (Whip n Spur, Pat's Tack, JC Saddlery). We NEED a Dover down here! Bad!

I used to wear spurs all the time with my GP and they never bothered me

I have GPs, which are lovely, but let me tell you, it is a huge pain to wiggle those spurs on over top of so much half chap and snap. And, the spurs have stretched out a bit, so they're droopy on my field boots. I really don't mind Ariat, so my next pair are going to be Ariat CC half chaps, no snap at the ankle.

If you don't like Ariat, Treadsteps seem nice but I've never seen them in person.

ETA: I guess it depends on the person!

Default Have you tried the ariat Close Contact

I agree alot of the ariats are not good, but the close contact are awesome , I have had mine for 3 years now, no zipper replaced yet but i do have a leather touch up the area wear the material is around the zipper. The leather is strong and break them in on a few rides and ahhhh. I do ride every day . 2 days a week I ride 4- 6 horses and then 1-3 on the other days.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I agree alot of the ariats are not good, but the close contact are awesome , I have had mine for 3 years now, no zipper replaced yet but i do have a leather touch up the area wear the material is around the zipper. The leather is strong and break them in on a few rides and ahhhh. I do ride every day . 2 days a week I ride 4- 6 horses and then 1-3 on the other days.
    I'm so happy to hear that! They looked so nice in the store... So I took a gamble and ordered them .

I feel your pain...however, I think you sort of have to have the snap at the bottom to keep the zipper from riding up, particularly if you wear jeans.

It helps to ride in skinny jeans - less bulk. I prefer Wranglers because I can get them long and they don't have a big seam along the inside of the leg. However, they are really bulky around the ankle, making it difficult to get my chaps done up at the bottom.

I like the Treadsteps - give them a try. They seem to have a really tight fit which helps. Once I have them on, I have no trouble getting the spurs on.

How about keeping one set of spurs for half chaps and one set for boots? They aren't horribly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    I have GPs, which are lovely, but let me tell you, it is a huge pain to wiggle those spurs on over top of so much half chap and snap. And, the spurs have stretched out a bit, so they're droopy on my field boots.
    I always just put my spurs on before my half chaps. Problem solved!

Default Custom 1/2 chaps

Tenny's Custom Saddlery is in Zepherhills (not too far from Tampa) and he makes beautiful 1/2 and full chaps. I think they start at $300, but the are worth it and will last a lifetime. They are custom so you can have them as you want them, and they are measured to you. Tell him about the spurs and they will take that into consideration. Good Luck with your search

Quote Originally Posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
    That has solved all my problems, too.

Ditto- spurs on before half chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Ditto- spurs on before half chaps.
    Me too!

Cat- I wear the Beval half chaps- with snaps and the spurs are no problem- you can call Beval and they will size you over the phone and ship them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
    Doesn't that put your spur a bit low on your boot?

ProChaps. Made in Canada, nice folks, *great* quality, tons of sizes.

Get a second pair of spurs to wear over half chaps and keep one for tall boots. If you aren't a tiny women's shoe size, try a "men's" pair of spurs to wear over chaps. You won't have to bend them out, and I've found them to be more comfortable.

I live in Tampa & agree a great tack shop is really needed here. I almost exclusively use Foxwood in Pinellas Park. Sue is really nice, knowledgeable.

As for chaps 1/2 I went custom. I wouldnt touch Tenny's for a million dollars, but getting yelled at for HIM screwing up my caveson will do that to you. I used Cindy Starr, she is usually in Ocala this time of year. Its a easy drive & you cant catch some of the show if you arent already showing there.

I have the Tredstep deluxe's and wear my spurs over them because I ride one horse without and another with, usually right after each other so I need to be able to take them off. I have no problem getting them on and I have the rubber wrapped ones as well.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I don't have that problem when I wear my spurs under my Tredstep deluxes. They sit right on the spur rests on my paddock boots.

M. Decimas
    Love them
    No problem with spurs underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Nope. I wear both the Tredstep Deluxe and the Thinline and both have backs that are cut specifically so that you can wear spurs underneath them.

I wear my spurs both inside and outside my chaps. The Thinlines zip from bottom to top and only have a snap at the top. The Deluxe zip from top to bottom and have a snap at both ends, but even with the snap I don't have any trouble wearing spurs with them.

I do, however, have show spurs as well as schooling spurs. That's mostly because I like the nylon spur straps at home but have nice leather straps on my show spurs. I also use a wider variety of spurs at home -- at shows I usually only decide between two.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.