The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spin Off- Help me plan a shopping trip for young hunter prospects in the US

Hope this is allowed here:

I just sold my second lovely imported hunter that was bought through a great agent via video tape. I got really lucky twice and the horses were great youngsters. We put them in our program, "hunterized" them, showed them and sold them.

Next time, I was thinking of flying over to Germany to select a prospect. So you all say that it can be done here? Help me plan that trip. I would want to see young prospects 3-4-5 year olds- nicely started under saddle, at least free jumping. They would need to be priced according to quality and training to allow me to put time, training and showing into them and still make a profit (if all the stars line up, of course). Where in the US could you see a large bunch of started youngsters all together- not driving all over creation to see one or two?

Default I would start with the American Hanoverian Society

And other warmblood societies as well like Holsteiner, RPSI etc... I attend the AHS inspection at Mo Swanson's and have met many nice breeders with excellent hunter prospects(of course they are young). I have several nice prospects as well and specifically breed for the hunter ring. Good luck. www.huntervalefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post

I just sold my second lovely imported hunter that was bought through a great agent via video tape. I got really lucky twice and the horses were great youngsters. We put them in our program, "hunterized" them, showed them and sold them.

Next time, I was thinking of flying over to Germany to select a prospect. So you all say that it can be done here? Help me plan that trip. I would want to see young prospects 3-4-5 year olds- nicely started under saddle, at least free jumping. They would need to be priced according to quality and training to allow me to put time, training and showing into them and still make a profit (if all the stars line up, of course). Where in the US could you see a large bunch of started youngsters all together- not driving all over creation to see one or two?
    How about asking for videos and then setting up a time for people to bring the prospects that you like on video to YOU? I would think in this economy there are MANY sellers on the East Coast who would be willing to do this. Then maybe set up the same type of situation out on the west coast( do you know anyone who would allow you to use their farm as a point of gathering?) In this economy people are willing to do almost anything to get a nice horse sold for good money. Might be worth a try. I have NO expertise in this area but always thought this would be a good way to see a bunch of horses without having to travel far and wide!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

You can PM me if you want. I did A Lot of looking/phoning all over the country before I found Carhartt.

Just wondering, assuming the answer will be yes, but must they be WB, JS?

And, have you posted this thread on the SHB forum as well?

So the breeders don't need to make a profit but the middlemen do????? Seems like the breeders have the lionshare of the time and money invested in these youngsters and they don't get to make any money but you get to handsomely get compensated for your months of lunging,lunging, and yet more lunging???? Let's see...say you breed to Hennessey $1500 stud fee, shipping of semen, booking,veterinary, foaling,handling foal, keeping foal for 2-3 yrs at least..what do you think that adds up to??? That is not worth making a profit on but what you do is???? I feel for the breeders having to deal with this mindset..I really do. No longer wonder why our country is going down the path it is! OP your agent must loveeeeeeeeeeeee you..a video shopper??? $$$$$$$$...

Are you comfortable with buying from an auction? A lot of nice young warmbloods go through the New Mexico Sport Horse Auction http://www.nmsporthorseauction.com/ (though it's held in the fall - I assume it will happen again in fall 2010) and I imagine there are tons of other events like this across the country...

Where can you see something like that? I personally have bought my last two WBs from a place exactly like that in the US. Mid sized breeding farm with excellent quality mares (I think a lof of US breeders forget that side of the equation) and always enough horses going to make it worthwhile. I just bought my mare from this farm in November. I rode four, passed on riding two others (knew from watching them with the farm's rider they would not be what I was looking for), and if one of those four didn't work out, she had two and three year olds that had just been started (I was hoping to find a 4-5 year old, and I did).

I know this farm isn't the only one out there like that. If you take the time to look into the US registeries and identify the breeding farms that are running in the US based on who is presenting to the registeries, you'll find them. I know of five off the top of my head, not including where I "shop."

trainers often bring nice young prospects to WEF

I'd say the same for Ocala, especially since there are so many breeders right in the area.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleigh007 View Post
    So the breeders don't need to make a profit but the middlemen do????? Seems like the breeders have the lionshare of the time and money invested in these youngsters and they don't get to make any money but you get to handsomely get compensated for your months of lunging,lunging, and yet more lunging???? Let's see...say you breed to Hennessey $1500 stud fee, shipping of semen, booking,veterinary, foaling,handling foal, keeping foal for 2-3 yrs at least..what do you think that adds up to??? That is not worth making a profit on but what you do is???? I feel for the breeders having to deal with this mindset..I really do. No longer wonder why our country is going down the path it is! OP your agent must loveeeeeeeeeeeee you..a video shopper??? $$$$$$$$...
    Why the chip on your shoulder? I have been following the other thread that this one was the spin off from, and I don't understand your attitude. And you are unrealistic to think that the only thing that the OP did to make a profit on her last two was lunge them in to the ground. Give me a break! OP is honestly asking where she can go look at US bred stock and have a similar experience if she were to go look overseas again.

A lot of areas have regional breeder's groups; I know we do here in the Kansas City area. If you contact someone from the group they can often get the word out on what you are looking for, and some people will even help coordinate a way to visit all the applicable farms in the area (I know I do this, no charge). So you could either visit 6-10 farms within driving distance from one another in a single day, or you could probably have sellers bring prospects to a centrally located farm in that area. I have done this for buyers who have contacted me; I usually only have 1 or 2 horses that meet a given description, but I'm more than happy to take them around to see other horses in the area. Gives me a chance to visit my horsey friends, and perhaps have a very happy buyer who will come back later/send others my way.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Op was on other thread professing that she can't find quality stock here in America. She also thinks that the breeders should not expect to make much if any profit on their foals! I guess the breeders should just breed and give them away????

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    And, have you posted this thread on the SHB forum as well?

Please do. I expect that you will receive replies.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Uh, Kayleigh, I didn't respond to the other thread.

I almost never lunge.

The horses I'm buying are in the 25k range. All I said was that they need to be nicely started and at least able to free lunge.

I never said that the breeders shouldn't make a profit.

CHIP ON THE SHOULDER....

I've been reading both threads -- Kayleigh should read for comprehension... she's clearly confused.

Check out W Charlot Farm

http://www.charlotfarm.com/

They have video of a lot of their horses right on the site. No stupid music of slow mo. There 2007 foals are being started under saddle, I believe.

My suggestion would be to prescreen with videos, find the ones of interest, and then see if you can clump them together a bit before scheduling your trip. Often times, breeders will bring young horses to us so that buyers can see a selection when they come rather than just one or two.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Ditto Hillside H Ranch. We have a breeder's cooperative in Central Texas (www.sporthorsebreeders.com). Another resource is the local h/j association - there are usually farm/trainer contacts listed. Try http://www.thja.org/Trainers/Trainers.aspx for example. There's 30 trainers listed in the Houston area alone - and many of them have young horses for sale.

Overtime, perhaps trainers could be convinced that the market was sufficient at home. In a perfect world, more would form relationships with breeders to keep a steady supple of quality youngsters available.

Uh, Kayleigh, I didn't respond to the other thread.

I almost never lunge.

The horses I'm buying are in the 25k range. All I said was that they need to be nicely started and at least able to free lunge.

I never said that the breeders shouldn't make a profit.

CHIP ON THE SHOULDER....
    Contact Pat Limage or any of the other members of the Mid-Atlantic Horse Breeders group (MAHB) and they will circulate an email to the member farms with your specifications. Off the top of my head I can think of a few members who have prospects that would meet your criteria, all within a couple of hours' drive of each other (note in Germany you would have to do some driving, too, plus the transatlantic flight and whatever hassles associated with *that*). Some farms are just a few miles from each other (there are probably a dozen WB breeders within a 10 mile radius of my farm).

http://mahb.homestead.com/

Also, you could coordinate a one-stop shopping day with local breeders who could bring their horses to one of the farms in the area with very good facilities. We do that from time to time for clients.