The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Scientists grow artificial meat in lab

It appears to be in its infancy, but there seems to be technology to "grow" meat in labs from stem cells. Probably will take a decade or more, but just thought it to be very interesting. If it ever were to become commercial and we have factories growing meat, I wonder how farming might look in the future?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_424759.html

We have debated this same topic on Off Topic days.

This will be a great step forward to providing enough protein with the proper profile for human's best nutrition, something sorely needed, as so many in this world are still starving.

There is a prize offered by PETA of, I think 3 million $, to whoever makes meat in a lab, that can be produced commercially.

Their idea is not to help hungry humans, but so we won't need domestic animals any more, other than for our pleasure.
    As we know, animal rights are advancing the idea that humans should not have animals to use at all, not for any needs and especially not for our own pleasure of owning or interacting with them.

What does that mean? Eventually, no more horses, because, in the eyes of animal rights fanatics, breeding and using horses for ANY purpose, even that of a confined pasture ornament, is unethical, infringing on the rights of animals, as the AR followers see it.
    They don't consider our symbiotic use of animals, that humans evolved with, a proper ethical choice.

According to them, we need a better human, that won't use animals, or better yet, extinguish the human race, that are evil and leave the world an idillic blue marble, to remain static, without changes humans bring living on it, until the end when the sun finally quits on us.

This "meat in a vat" is one more step towards the ultimate goal of matter transformation and so energy manipulation, at such a basic level that we can make whatever we want out of any given mass.
    The future is not so far any more.

One of the foreseable consequences, that will affect all of us that own, use and work with horses will be, as the current president of the HSUS said many years ago, in his quest for animal rights: "One generation and no more domestic animals and none too soon for me".

Brave new world we live in.

I suspect "meat in a vat" will be so expensive to grow in comparison to letting some animals go out and forage and breed on their own that only the rich vegans will be eating it.

Yeah... PETA is sure a special group of people. Just make sure you don't group all animal rights activists into the same group as them! I, for one, would never want to give up Fido and Whiskers even though I don't eat meat. PETA is in a league of their own. You won't catch this person eating meat from a vat anyway. I know little about it, but I would think that it would not be vegan if grown from stem cells, no? I don't eat meat, but am fully aware that cows,pigs, etc. are a necessary part of our economy.

I dunno about anyone else, but I am *not* eating Meat From A Lab. Blech.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I agree. I'm NOT eating that.

That was also my first thought.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

But if it's made from stem cells then how is it not an animal product? Didn't the stem cells come from an animal?

It does come from an animal, but it is not "born", raised and then slaughtered. The idea here seems to be to just let the stem cells grow as muscle alone or whatever you wan't for meat without "life" I guess? I don't know-very futuristic for me. But just found it quite interesting that you can do that and if it ever took off in a commercial way, the implications for farmers. Gasp, I can just imagine meat coming in with Made in China labels!

Hey, if it tastes like a rare-grilled tenderloin from a corn-finished steer, honey, sign me up!

But I agree that it will probably be prohibitively expensive. Look at the cost of cell-culture research versus live animal. Meat in a vat at a competitive price is a long, long way off.

It wouldn't be such a bad thing to develop a healthier alternative to beef for our red-meat-loving American populace. God knows the cost of obesity-related disease (hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes) is soaring out of control. And animal-based agriculture uses up a ridiculous amount of resources. But I sure wouldn't want to see animals become extinct for our convenience. I'm not convinced that one leads to the other in such a straight line as some may think, but it bears considering.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I can't imagine being the first human to even do the taste test! UGH! Anyone that raised meat animals know that what they eat effects the taste of the meat.

And as to this guy:

as the current president of the HSUS said many years ago, in his quest for animal rights: "One generation and no more domestic animals and none too soon for me".
    Of course in another generation he will be retired, but until then, he should be grateful to have a salary that is supported by domestic animals existence.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Same here.

Anyone read Oryx and Crake? Margaret Atwood?

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Anyone read Oryx and Crake? Margaret Atwood?

Caitlin
    Yeah, I also read Frankenstein, and yet here I am, using a computer powered by electricity...

Wooo spooooky technology!! Now, surely, THIS is the ONE event that signals the end of days...
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Right now, they are growing ears and implanting them, for those that lost an ear, right from their own stem cells, so no rejection.

Just think that similar technology may some day grow a hand for those that lose one.

I think it will be very long before we may grow a brain that would work like our homegrown one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    Hey, if it tastes like a rare-grilled tenderloin from a corn-finished steer, honey, sign me up!
    Hey, if it TASTED like a real steak, I'd eat it. Even if it had exactly the same nutritional profile.

But to my mind, the only really important application something likely to be so expensive would have is for space exploration uses. You want a base on the moon or Mars, we are not equipped to take live animals and you can't live entirely off hydroponics. Vat-grown protein is actually a common SF trope (frequently with speculation about the taste, very little of it positive.)

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by hb View Post
    But if it's made from stem cells then how is it not an animal product? Didn't the stem cells come from an animal?
    For the same reason that CAFO raised beef isn't GOOD quality meat that I want to eat. It may be an animal, but it certainly isn't natural or quality. I don't trust it nor would I trust the chain that supplied it. One of the biggest problems with our current food supply is centralization. It would take NOTHING for a bio-terrorist to do massive amounts of harm simply BECAUSE our food supply is so centralized. Add "meat in a petri dish" technology and it gets worse I'm sure.

Nope... sorry. I won't be touching that wiht a 10 foot pole in my lifetime.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post

<snip>
    It wouldn't be such a bad thing to develop a healthier alternative to beef for our red-meat-loving American populace. God knows the cost of obesity-related disease (hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes) is soaring out of control.
    Hate to argue with you but these 2 statements are the problem. 1) Corn finished? Why would a steer need to be corn fed at all?? And why finish it when it's been raised on beautiful, healthy, NATURAL pasture??

AND... the meat itself is NOT the problem. The problem is the QUALITY of meat. If more people at naturally, the diseases would go down in quality. Uh... that means more pasture-raised and LESS CORN (and CAFO feed lots)!!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Ditto this!! I am aghast that this is being done.. meat in a vat=spam

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Hate to argue with you but these 2 statements are the problem. 1) Corn finished? Why would a steer need to be corn fed at all?? And why finish it when it's been raised on beautiful, healthy, NATURAL pasture??

AND... the meat itself is NOT the problem. The problem is the QUALITY of meat. If more people at naturally, the diseases would go down in quality. Uh... that means more pasture-raised and LESS CORN (and CAFO feed lots)!!
    Good post and my feelings as well.