The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stallion suggestions please

I had planned on breeding my Tb mare to a pony stallion this spring (have one picked out) but have yet to pay my stud fee. So I thought before I do let me see what suggestions others have for my mare (and see if I change my mind, yet again. I have stallion commitment issues sometimes!). She needs to improve her hind end conformation and gaits as she moves like a text book hunter daisy cutter mare. I want to breed more towards dressage in a small package so either a pony stallion or smaller horse that adds movement without size. She is approved MMB GOV and Weser-em. TIA!

Her picture can be seen at

http://blumefarm.com/mymares/kakuaxxmmbgovwem.html

Evans Providence of the Night - stunning mover, Welsh and GRP approved. He's in California, I believe

Halifax, another Welsh and GRP stallion - I think he's frozen only though

I'm also a fan of MRF Hot Shot. Not sure what he throws in terms of height though.

We have 5 very nice Weser-Ems approved stallions in the upcoming Oldenburg stallion service auction.

-- Ridley
    -- Stibby-Me
    -- Breeder's Choice to Benno's Dream, Chicco B, or FS Daily Hero

I imagine some of those boys might suit your needs. Bidding opens Monday AM. http://oldenburghorse.auctionanything.com

Have a look at my stallion Pacific. He is licensed RPSI, AWR. He is 15.3hh but moves like a much larger horse, he seems to be producing more to the height of the mares, the bigger mares throw bigger foals, the smaller mares - smaller foals. He has fantastic gaits for dressage with a lot of elasticity and has a SUPER temperment as well.

Super Star (scroll down to see him)

You can also see a lovely video of him here.

This falls under the 'small horse' side of things (he's 15.2hh) but when I bred my 16hh TB mare to him, I got a pony. She's 5 now and about 14.1hh. (The mare's other two foals are 16.1hh-16.2hh out of 16.1hh stallions.)

Super Star is an unusual choice of breed but he crosses well with TBs, WBs and ponies, as you can see from the offspring photos. He also passes on movement galore and a fine jump.

And temperament, too. My own Super Star pony is extraordinarily intelligent (notably smarter than her half-sisters!), very brave and has a terrific work ethic. At three, she was working cattle and trail riding all over the place by herself or in company. At four, she learned polo, foxhunting and became a lesson horse for kids -- she's rock solid mentally and loves to do new things. She has the movement for dressage and the jumping style for a nice large pony hunter but this year, she's starting her career in eventing and endurance.

You can see pics of her here and here. (If you breed to SS, you also get the AT shiny coat and serious curvy ears!)

Default *ArdCeltic Art

Take a look at the Connemara stallion, *ArdCeltic Art, www.hiddencreekhorses.com. I'm actually planning to use him on my 15.3 hd TB/Conn mare this year.

I really like his gaits and his jump, and his temperament is fabulous. He has been approved with the ISR/Oldenburg NA Sport Pony Division and as a Weser EMs German Riding Pony breeding stallion. He's also been approved by the ACPS, and the foal could be registered as a half-bred Connemara, in addition to being inspected with the other two registries. Art is competing very successfully at the Preliminary level in eventing and has been shown up to 3rd level in dressage. I believe he will be showing in dressage down in Wellington this winter, and should debut at 4th level soon. His first two foals (out of TB mares) were born last season and 11 foals are due this year. The '09 colt was presented for inspection with the ISR/Oldenburg NA, was approved Premium, and received the site High Score award.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Post GOODTIMES VDL COULD DO THE TRICK!

GOODTIMES VDL (Nimmerdor X Caletto XWahnfried) throws offspring often smaller than their dams. We know this KWPN stallion well, having had 8 Goodtimes out of 3 different mares. We are expecting 2 more Goodtimes in 2010. He throws an extraordinary hind leg, poweful and quick, gorgeous, smart horses with three good gaits and jumping ability. I had 3 ET full siblings 7 years ago....One sold to a Grand Prix jumper trainer, the other to a Grand Prix Dressage rider/trainer, the 3rd we own , a mare, Wildcard Keur Elite who has a winning resume U/S in Dressage, was High Point Champion at DAD with an 85% (in hand) from Judge Hilda Gurney, etc. etc.

Below are photos of Goodtimes himself, and of Wildcard Keur Elite (Goodtimes X Silvio 1 (Sandro) Elite Preferent).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOODTIMESCONFBEST.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	27954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goodtimesconf.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	27955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	widcardpiaffelook.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	27956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wildcardcantergood.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	27957  
    Sporting Chance Farm/Dr Carlos and Karin Jimenez
    Breeders of International Quality KWPN Horses
    2006 KWPN-NA Breeders of the Year/2006 Res CH USDF DSHB Breeders Year
    www.sportingchancefarm.com

I'd suggest Hilkens Black Delight (frozen) or *ArdCeltic Art. By the way, your mare is absolutely lovely. I would gladly take one exactly like her. Will the resulting foal be for sale?

I like that Connemara! Nice mare too.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Bur Dal Lord Solomon pretty much fits your list of requirements to a "T" He's a smaller package (11.3) with excellent dressage-type movement, and has consistently improved the hind end of the mares he's been bred to.

http://www.secretambitionstables.com...ordsolomon.htm

Foals also come with a great temperament!

Out of curiosity which stallion were you considering for your mare? I suggest Chardonnay for Weser Ems.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Merle...thanks for the compliments and yes the foal will be for sale. We could do an in-utero sale or breeding lease if you are interested!

GA Eventer...I really like that pony, he could change my mind. My main hesitation with him is his color. I always worry about greys b/c of melanoma issues. He has three really nice gaits as well as a good jump.

Goodpony...I had been leaning towards Stibby Me. I saw him ridden at a clinic in the fall and he was wonderful. He has three really solid gaits which is what I need for this mare.

I do like the idea of the connemara as they tend to be good all around athletes. My mare was a hunter equitation horse before her injuries retired her to the breeding shed. Even though I am wanting to breed a dressage horse the connemara could add some versatility and maybe result in a nice hunter/ jumper horse/ pony. Also the mare is already approved Weser-EMs so it is nice to stay with a stallion already approved in that book.

Obviously I have commitment issues with picking stallions!

There are actually three Connemara Stallions approved for Weser Ems: Art who has been mentioned, my own stallion Wildwych Eclipse* (Both Greys) and Greystone Adirondack A'Herne who is a dark bay. All three Stallions are approved ACPS and both Art and Eclipse are also approved ISR/OLD NA. I have foals coming in March by both Art and Eclipse--very excited! All three stallions offer excellent pedigrees and super performance records--the biggest difference that I see is in size. Art is 15.1 HH, Eclipse is 14.1 HH and Harry is I think (don't quote me) 13.3HH. The ConnemaraxTB is a very desireable cross as are Connemara x Warmblood crosses for dressage, eventing and showjumping.

I've attached a few of our Eclipse babies...The first baby photo is out of an unregistered TB mare.

Oops again I wanted to put in a plug for Chardonnay for dressage breeding here are some pics I took of him competing at Prix St Georges: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=b3db639b50

Name:	899154_11647920_hd-1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	27962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West-Coast-Connemara-Show-303.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	27963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Good_Vibration_Aug_21_08_27_b_op_399x600.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	27964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PearlandTig-267.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	27965  

Quote Originally Posted by bluehof View Post
    My main hesitation with him is his color. I always worry about greys b/c of melanoma issues.
    Over the years I've owned a LOT of grey ponies. I've only had one with any melanoma issues, and his dam died from melanomas, so that was no suprise. I've found that it seems to be highly heritable, so the ponies that have NOT had them into their old age have produced greys that in turn have not had problems with them either.

If you're able to get an good answer about the grey ponies in the pedigree and melanomas, I wouldn't overlook a grey stallion.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I used to be VERY anti-grey because of melanomas but it's just something that greys have and they do not die of them. Plus, if you're going to sell the resulting foal, I think that greys do sell. I'm a big Connemara fan, greys included.

How abuot NF Brenin Cardi Welsh sec D
    Competing successfully at F.E I and kicking butt
    He is very versatile and also has a good jump in him.
    The Welsh Cob XTB has been used for many yrs in U.K for a versatile athlete.
    He has also been used on many different types of mares.

http://eqequestrian.com/Stallions.htm

Here's my Chica 2009 Cardi X TB mare 15.1

Name:	chica right.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	27966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chica july stand.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	27967  

I wouldn't get hung up on the grey color, every one of my personal horses (8!) have been grey, and I've never had a problem with melanomas. The only horse that I knew that had problems with them was in his late twenties (like 27) before it was an issue.

I know Art has a number of videos on youtube. You might could get in touch with his owner and she can send you the links. He is a really fabulous mover, and has had many scores in the low 20's (eventing), and mid-high 60's in dressage.

Most importantly, you can't beat his temperament!!
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

What a pretty filly Sally!

I have several greys--I do my best to monitor for changes and I try to do my best to keep up with new treatments--which there are now some treatments that are successful in slowing the progression. So far none of mine have developed the tumors. I have been told similarly--that there is a tendency for more aggressive tumors to run strongly among certain lines. Strangely enough I have never known a horse or pony to die from the melanomas--generally its the complications from the lesions that are the problem--and most of those have been quite aged. Some also suggest there may be an association between Jumping Talent and the color grey....grey is definitely a very prevalent color for Connemaras--and most are terrific jumpers! (A Grey Connemara Mare Ballyowen Maybelle Molly won the European Pony Show Jumping Championship at Moreselle, Belgium in 2009--in fact Connemaras featured quite prominently at this event with over 20 qualified)

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    Take a look at the Connemara stallion, *ArdCeltic Art, www.hiddencreekhorses.com. I'm actually planning to use him on my 15.3 hd TB/Conn mare this year.

I really like his gaits and his jump, and his temperament is fabulous. He has been approved with the ISR/Oldenburg NA Sport Pony Division and as a Weser EMs German Riding Pony breeding stallion. He's also been approved by the ACPS, and the foal could be registered as a half-bred Connemara, in addition to being inspected with the other two registries. Art is competing very successfully at the Preliminary level in eventing and has been shown up to 3rd level in dressage. I believe he will be showing in dressage down in Wellington this winter, and should debut at 4th level soon. His first two foals (out of TB mares) were born last season and 11 foals are due this year. The '09 colt was presented for inspection with the ISR/Oldenburg NA, was approved Premium, and received the site High Score award.
    GAEventer,

We will be breeding to *Art this year and are overly eager to do so. I am very pleased with his 1/2 bred offspring to date and am looking forward to making a splash with his purebreds this seasons
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

If you are thinking of going with a connemara take a look at Rory o'sullivan. Www.mandmconnemaras.com