The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wahl clippers for hairy men vs. those for horses

I saw this cordless set of Wahl clippers in the men's grooming aisle at Target, complete with a bonus set of those tiny clippers that fit in the palm of your hand. The set was around $45. Are these comparable to their equine line of clippers?

In my experience they are much wimpier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I saw this cordless set of Wahl clippers in the men's grooming aisle at Target, complete with a bonus set of those tiny clippers that fit in the palm of your hand. The set was around $45. Are these comparable to their equine line of clippers?
    I wouldn't use them for a full body clip, but the clippers I used to do my horse's ears/nose/fetlocks are from Target. They are also considerably louder than the ones made for horses, but my girl doesn't care about stuff like that so its ok, and a lot cheaper.

I have Wahl pet clippers that I got at Walmart in the pet section. They work better on my horse then on my dog!! I body clipped my mini with them, but I had to get them sharpened after, so I prolly wouldnt reccommed doing a fully size horse! But for their legs and face and what not, they work great!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

I tried a pair that my Dad passed on to me on my dog. They died about halfway through clipping him. Couldn't deal with the amount of hair.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I've used the "people" clippers many times, and they just don't last for more than a few months, and thats just doing noses and bridle paths on a few horses once a month or so. (and being meticulously cleaned etc and only used on clean freshly bathed horses). Just not worth the money, because I spent more on replacing them than I did just buying a pair of A5's!

Thanks everybody!

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I agree on what all have posted except for one situation. I picked up two of those corded little beard trimmer type men's clippers from some discount store. Cheap - like $15 a pair. The blades are screw on and quite small so i doubt I can get replacements but I only use the clipper for doing the insides of ears and over the eyes. I use regular blade wash to clean and spray lube to oil. I can't remember what brand but they are very quiet and have held up exceptionally well in a very busy show barn. Wish they were cordless but not a huge deal.

The all purpose hair clipping people clippers you find in stores, though. Everyone's spot on, they suck for the rigors of horse hair. I think the little beard trimmers I have are holding up because they are doing fine ear hair and they are meant for men's chin pubes.

The BEST set of clippers I've ever bought turned out to be for people!

I picked up an Andis CC-1s at my local tack shop's tent sale for $39.95. They are cordless/corded, have a level which adjusts the closeness of the cut and are super quiet.

When I fist realized the weren't for horses or even dogs I was really disappointed. Although it explained why I found them on the other side of the tent from the Andis Rep.

But these little suckers have been great! I do all my face and leg trimming with them. They are pretty light for some substantially built clippers and they plow through the bridal path of the thickest (and I mean THICK) manes.

Plus the blades are replaceable and findable.

These are for professional hair people (I think) and you won't find them at Walmart. But they are on the internet and you can get a good deal on them if you shop around. But I haven't seen them this cheap since my tent sale find.

They look a lot like the chromados, but are cheaper and have more features.

They will not body clip a horse - not even close. But they are worlds better than any other face clippers I've ever used.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com