The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

I understand that jumping is one trait that the "experts" (who ARE they, anyway?) have decided can be/is passed on genetically.

Hmmm.

First, any comments on that statement.

Secondly, I am considering a colt with an *extraordinary* pedigree (four-generations of toptoptop jumpers.)

Please don't laugh if this is the dumbest question in the world, but for something like jumping, do you buy on pedigree alone? I mean, with dressage, it's *somewhat* easier: you look for/at movement. But yearlings shouldnt' be freejumped, so...

Anyone get my conundrum here? What's your take on it? BTW, don't want to mention specifics. Can we keep this discussion hypothetical?

The adventure has begun...
    KT
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

I understand that jumping is one trait that the "experts" (who ARE they, anyway?) have decided can be/is passed on genetically.

Hmmm.

First, any comments on that statement.

Secondly, I am considering a colt with an *extraordinary* pedigree (four-generations of toptoptop jumpers.)

Please don't laugh if this is the dumbest question in the world, but for something like jumping, do you buy on pedigree alone? I mean, with dressage, it's *somewhat* easier: you look for/at movement. But yearlings shouldnt' be freejumped, so...

Anyone get my conundrum here? What's your take on it? BTW, don't want to mention specifics. Can we keep this discussion hypothetical?

KT
    "For God hates utterly

Jumping ability is highly heritable!
    If the colt has correct conformation and good movement I would not hesitate at buying a jumper prospect as a foal/yearling. Has the dam produced any other foals? That is helpful also.
    BTW, you can free jump yearlings over little cavalettis if you do it only a FEW times and are careful. Zangersheide Stud routinely chases groups of foals and yearlings over LITTLE jumps to get an idea of their aptitude.

Anne

Hi Whitehedge ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jumping ability is highly heritable!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And thanks! This is very good to know. I also thank you for the correct useage of the word "heritable." (And here I thought I was so erudite ... HAHAHA)

As far as jumping, well, I'm one of those people who believe in taking it sloooooooow, so I can wait until next year when he is two.

Let me ask you, would you buy on bloodlines alone (providing no serious conformation faults)?

KT
    "For God hates utterly

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything else you can judge a yearling by! So provided there are no noticeable conformational or temperamental flaws, one would have to base the purchase of a yearling jumper prospect on bloodlines.

JenniferS

what a great question!http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Yes, I think you can have a good idea if you have the ability to see a young horse's natural athleticism. That might not tell you what sport he will be best at, but if the athleticism is there, and he is bred for the jumpers, I would feel very good about purchasing him. You won't know about his mind until it's time to ride him, but knowing what the mare and stallion dispositions were like, certainly will give you some idea of what to expect.
    I wish I could give you a clear list of characteristics to look for, but all I can say is it is a lot more that good conformation. In fact, the standard "well conformed" horse may or may not be an athlete at all. The true athlete naturally engages his hind end, has an easy, balanced movement that is both agile and light and yet powerful at the same time. Perhaps most importantly, he has a certain air of self confidence about him that is evident when he moves,and sets him a little apart, even if he is low in the social order of the herd.
    I think other breeders can find better words to describe what I am saying, but every successful breeder or buyer of young horses has an eye for the good ones at a young age. Maybe some of the other breeders will comment?
    Reality is something you rise above -Liza Minnelli

Lyrical, I think you've done a "lyrical" job at explaining the inexplicable. Anyway, Oldenburg Mom, I look at pedigree first. I don't even get as far as the barn to look at them until I've scrutinized it pretty well. But what I look for in the jumpers is a confident youngster with an inordinately powerful engine, well coupled, who uses at a young age his neck in such a way as to enhance his effectiveness in motion, one who is extremely comfortable with a lightened forehand, who is catlike in his movement, loaded like a spring. I want a very forward thinking and moving individual who I hope will hit the ground on the far side running and not look back. I'm looking also for extraordinary bravery and a certain amount of charisma. I don't think I'm doing a very good job trying to explain this ... please, somebody else hop in here.

As you say, you CAN see it in a foal. I have a filly who is as graceful as a cat in her walk. She exudes confidence. She'll almost slink up to a fence (2 1/2 - 3 feet - what used to be a very large pen to keep my dogs and horses separate) and just flow over the fence and slink away. My same age colt would try to emulate her and walk up after her, hit he knees on the fence, stumble over it, half fall down and then skulk away looking around to see if anyone had seen his very poor attempt to imitate her. I can't wait until she's old enough to put in training. For now, I'm not TEACHING her to jump anything. I won't be able to keep her in a paddock or pasture if she finds out just how easy it is to jump out! BTW, she's bred to death for jumping. The colt was bred for dressage.

Tranquility Farm
    We don't have many, but the ones we have are nice
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

oo Tiki your filly sounds LOVELY!

I would buy on bloodlines alone, BUT...I do know of one horse who's mother was a top hunter (TB), and his daddy was a jumping fool (holsteiner)...and that horse doesn't jump. Now, I have heard he's going to be a lovely dressage horse!

*Hannah Bay*Tatabra Kirsche*
    *Gryphon Bay & Amethyst Bay*

I think there is no doubt jumping ability is hereitary, interestingly, our stallion if turned loose in our indoor will jump whatever is in the arena, and so do the majority off his offspring, I was sent a tape of a filly of his who at a few days old when put in the outdoor proceeded to jump some poles on the ground with no prompting, over and over, they had to stop her. One of mine jumped over his mother when she was laying down, at 2 hours old, at 24 hours jumped 2 hay bales,and later when he was alittle older, put out in my indoor and first thing decided to go through a gymnastic that was set up, [fortunately low]and had us scrambling to set the poles down,he still kept jumping through it, over and over, both of my foals bred to be jumpers jump anything that is up in the arena, just like their dad and I hear from so many of the mare owners that theirs are the same way.
    As to what to look for, I think everyone , paricularly Lyrical and Twinkletozzz did such a great job of expaining I can only add alittle bit, to me -yes the pedigree is a huge factor,the conformation, as well the athleticism, I watch them run and play, stride length, even at that age, the other thing I look for is the attitude, jumpers have to be tryers, they have to have the will to want to be good at their jobs, the will to suceed,and a competitive spirit, so I watch how they carry themselves, how they deal with things, I try to asess wether they have the necessary boldness and determination in them,
    Good Luck---Nancy

Home of the Oldenburg Stallion Ironman
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

We did it! World\'s first buckskin & white TB born!

I think that jumping ability is heritable, the same way "cow sense" is in certain cutting horse lines and speed is in certain racing lines.

Of course environment plays a role, as do training methods, but if you are specifically looking at weanlings and yearlings for this purpose, thats about all you have to go on! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

I agree - great question!

"Spot"

Well gee, folks. Thanks for all the input.

nsm & Tiki--- I'm amazed at these types of stories ... babies jumping everything in sight just because they loff it. And I've heard the "jumping Mama" type of story before. Any info on how this has translated into performance? I am even less experienced in jumping than I am in dressage (if that is possible) so anything you can pass on my way is helpful.

ALSO, and very important. WITHOUT TRYING TO CRITICIZE ANY ORGANIZATION, what's your take on some of the young futurity setups? They've got, apparently, quite demanding courses for 5 and 6 year olds. Again, this is not meant as any criticism of any organization, I just thought "older" is better when it comes to stressing their bodies.

As far as this baby goes, I've seen him romping in the pasture. And while I haven't seen him being a "jumping fool" (&lt;--meant affectionately) he does have ... hmmm ... a confidence I like. He has been turned out with another yearling, a visitor, who is larger than he is. And he (the one I'm looking to buy) has no problem standing up ...and taking the dominant position ... to the bigger guy ... in fact, I was surprise the bigger guy was such a wuss!!

Along those same lines his personality seems, well, rather "I am who I am and I don't care if you don't like me." Does that make sense? Or is KT just making stuff up?

He did clear-from pretty much a standstill-the dutch door in his stall, however. What's that? Three feet? That's good? Right?

KT
    "For God hates utterly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In fact, the standard "well conformed" horse may or may not be an athlete at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lyrical ... you're right of course. Anyone ever hear of a horse called Seabiscuit?

KT
    "For God hates utterly

I can only go by my meager experience, but I did buy a long yearling jumper prospect based largely on pedigree (daddy Pikadero an international GP horse, grand-daddy Prinz Gaylord the same and known for producing willing jumpers), plus an excellent shoulder and compact frame. She did a little bit of free jumping for the video just so we could see what her attitude towards the fences was, and that was all.

And now, 6 1/2 years later: http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    COTH Forums, A Fair and Balanced Look at the Left and Right of Horses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portia_Sp_Gath_02_Oxer.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	5402  
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

OMGiH.

To quote that scholar, hoopoe, "Well, I am just gobstopped."

Portia. Izzat YOU? OMGiH ... I am sooo IMPRESSED.

KT
    "For God hates utterly

I completely agree about jumping traits being heritable. A few years ago I had a yearling by Kalypso that I was chasing around a large area with a quarter horse. Both of them had very recently been gelded and they needed to exercise. After a couple of laps of this area, I could see the Kalypso gelding looking at the open back above a 4' wall in a run-in shed. I knew what he was going to do; he picked up a lovely organized canter and headed straight for the shed, clearing that opening in fine style. However, the little quarter horse behind him went right through it; it never occured to him to jump it. And last year a Graf Top II filly, out of a Kalypso mare, jumped out of her 4' paddock and strolled around until captured, and a week later left her mother and jumped in a pasture to join a herd of horses. We had to change her accomodations. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I had a Riverman filly a few years ago,her favorite pastime was jumping the stream in her paddock. She'd just canter a circle that included jumping the stream. Also had a Reno filly that jumped out of the field..look around then jumped back in with her mom.

(Hi Janice! How the heck are ya?)

KT
    "For God hates utterly

Any comments about jumping at 5 and or 6?

KT
    "For God hates utterly

No, KT, that's the REAL Portia and Trainer Jo. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif But as long as we're showing off, http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif here's the other new photo I have of them:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    COTH Forums, A Fair and Balanced Look at the Left and Right of Horses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portia_Front_Sp._Gath_2003.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	4820  
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry