The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Out-of-the-Box Hunter Sires

Is anyone using or thinking about using any stallions that are not marketed as hunter stallions on hunter type mares to produce hunters?
    I know of all the usual hunter stallion suspects, and would like to expand my knowledge of possible daddies. I am looking for dressage or jumper stallions with the right movement and jump for a hunter. I know the mare is an important part, but I am just looking for general suggestions.
    Why do you like that particular stallion, and (if you bred to him) did the result turn out like you had hoped?
    Thanks!

Ariadus is one you might want to look at. Very typey, elegant babies with solid conformation and a good jump. And their movement can be flattened out enough so they are not highly offensive to hunter folks. I'd recommend using him only on a quieter mare though.

Pasolongo is one who doesn't get a lot of attention but does very well in the ring.

Another new stallion that is quickly becoming one of my personal favorites is Cobra One. I bred one mare to him this year after seeing him in person. Strong conformation. Great jump. Exceptional temperament. Drop dead gorgeous and super flashy. Dam sire is Carano (the sire of Derby horse Rumba). He's not a hunter per se, but on a hunter mare, he could be very interesting.

In general, you may want to look at any A-line Holsteiners. Not that they'll all fit the hunter type, but it's a good place to start.

I really, really like Dacaprio as an out-of-the-box stallion. I have not bred to him yet but the kids I know of that are in the hunter ring are fancy, fancy, fancy. I have also seen pictures & video of some fancy Fabuleux foals but I don't know of any in the hunter ring yet. He may not be so out of the box given his pedigree but neither are really marketed as hunter stallions. I also think Balou du Rouet could produce a hunter on the right mare.

Quote Originally Posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
    Ariadus is one you might want to look at. Very typey, elegant babies with solid conformation and a good jump. And their movement can be flattened out enough so they are not highly offensive to hunter folks. I'd recommend using him only on a quieter mare though.
    I have a coming 3-year-old Ariadus gelding running around in the field right now. He goes in for training next month. He's the hack winner for sure...no idea how he'll jump. So far, very quiet and laid back. I'll let you know how it goes...

I didn't breed him - he was my Christmas present this year. I wanted one after seeing several nice hunters by Ariadus and wanted one for myself. Nice amy horses, in my opinion.

Other than for fun, there isn't much reason to think "out of the box," is there?

Hunter people don't buy based on pedigree (unless it's for babies in the HB, and then only if they are really 'into it')--they wait to see them get those knees up, and even THEN, they wait to make sure of the temperaments.

And even THEN, they want them up and running, with a record. They aren't into taking risks.

So...

How far out of the box can you get with that?

We do this all the time, trying to find stallions via frozen or that aren't often considered that could produce the traits we want. Obviously in Germany no one is ever breeding for hunters, yet many of our best ones have come from there.

It's true that hunter folks aren't into taking risks. So we're doing it for them.

I agree with spacely and have seen offspring by Dacaprio that look geared for the hunters, and Balou du Rouet - take a look at the new stallion Amazing, out of a Voltaire mare, very hunter type. Also, Royal Prince, Fabuleux, Harvard, Widmark, Anhaltiner E, Autocrat, Rubignon, Furst Impression, Rubin Royal, Ruiz Soler, Contucci, Rosenthal, Davignport, Riccione and yes, even Quaterback - to name a few stallions that aren't marketed necessarily for the hunters if ever at all - that have been suited to the hunter ring in type and movement at least (some evaluating as foals, some as adults u/s). Of course the mare always matters so you need a mare with jump for some of these.

The point is, stallion doesn't have to be marketed as a hunter stallion to be able to produce the traits that make a great hunter (again, see Germany... LOL). While I love the jump of the Holsteiner stallions, I just can't deal with the movement of many of them as far as hopes of producing hunters.

We have bred to Donatelli (sadly now deceased of course) several times and gotten very nice hunter type offspring, none quite old enough yet to be riding but one born 2008 was this past year 5th in the country and Champion Zone 2 in the Yearling Hunter Breeding - undefeated every time out - at least. So we'll see how that notion paid off in the next couple years. It's just too bad you have to wait so long to see how they really turn out!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Agree, many of the top hunters in this country are bought in Europe where they were not bred for the hunter ring.

I bred Joy (Jupiter) to Chacco Blue. Joy was the hack winner (over 70 horses at WEF) and I think the baby will be fantastic for the hunter ring. I also have a Noble Champion mare that is a cute mover and jumper. Her dam was an International Jumper and a nice mover.
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Gift Hill Farm

Default You just never know...

I bred my very dressage moving, jumper mare (by Calando I out of a Lord Incipit mare) to Ciceras Icewater and so far, the resulting filly has been a hunter mover.

Don't know where that came from!!!

She jumps well, so my hopes of an AO jumper for me should be realized as long as she grows tall enough. I'm hoping for 16.1. Video below is her as a long 2YO Nov 09. (May 2007 girl)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzk1cBEogdc

(never posted from You Tube before...if the link doesn't work let me know!)
    Last edited by Therese; Jan. 17, 2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: forgot details
    - Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Stedinger
    Samba Hit

Therese- NICE!!!

Sea Accounts might be one to take a look at, especially if you could use some blood. The first two offspring to hit the show ring have done so in the hunter ring. One was champion at his first recognized show, winning all his classes! The other was reserve at her first show. She was bought as a GP jumper prospect, but has hunter movement and jump so is starting there.

There are 3 or 4 others who should be in the hunter ring later this year with a some others starting eventing careers.

Sea Accounts have evented through Prelim and will be showing 4th level dressage this year.

As an added benefit, all the reports I'm getting rave about their minds, athleticism and how ridiculously easy they have been to start. One of the coming 4 y.o.s spent the fall hunting in VA.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Quote Originally Posted by monami View Post
    Therese- NICE!!!
    Ditto!

Ditto for me also. What a nice filly.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Same! Love the upward mobility in the shoulder and use of the neck, to get that with the flat knee is very tough! Super nice.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Default Apiro

I don't think he was bred to be a hunter but he is doing well in the hunter ring from what I can remember folks saying.......and he is absolutely beautiful. Barbara can help you with any other info. If I had a hunter mare that is who I would use.

Quote Originally Posted by monami View Post
    Therese- NICE!!!
    Ditto. Absolutely lovely.

Apiro I don't think he was bred to be a hunter but he is doing well in the hunter ring from what I can remember folks saying.......and he is absolutely beautiful. Barbara can help you with any other info. If I had a hunter mare that is who I would use.
    He is marketed as a hunter sire. The OP's wants to know who isn't marketed to the hunters but can/has produced hunters.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Therese - what a lovely horse!!!!

but here's the thing - you put together two jumper bred bloodlines, and the stallion a holsteiner - proving the point that jumper breds put to the right mare produce "hunters" if the collision of DNA is just right. If you look down the top hunter sire list at USEF - predominance of holsteinters - all with jumper pedigrees. So it is very likely the mare that makes a difference. So go to the USEF list - one can find many "out of the box" stallions right at the top.

Again, Therese, nice nice horse!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

I have seen several VERY nice hunters at HITS Ocala the past 2 years by Rubin Royal. And we have a few breeders that use him for hunter breeding; 1 breeder that comes down here from Canada, another from NE, and one in Texas. That's kinda out of the box..... except that the "R" line (Rubinstein in particular) are no surprise as nice hunters , with their pleasant temperament and soft, eacy way of moving without a lot of knee.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

JY - I would love to know the marelines:

here is a video of RR -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hpLprT2Vsg
    He is strongly promoted as a dressage stallion.

Of interest is that Akzent (not sure if I or II) shows up in some of the top hunter lines - Akzent is on the mareline side of the equation for RR.
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Talking Thanks everyone!

I think Zami is kinda special, but I'll admit I'm biased.

Her mom, Kalinka was jumper/jumper/dressage bred, Calando I on top, and Lord Incipit/Fernando mare. Solid Holsteiner.

Fabulous jump, but lots of knee. Had a bit of a problem in combinations because she would rather compress than extend. Dressage came easy for her too.

I was breeding for an AO Jumper, but we'll at least start Zami in hunters. My friend Diane would hunt me down if I didn't!

I don't think someone breeding for hunters could go wrong breeding to many of the proven Holsteiner jumper stallions. If you find one with the jump that you like, that's pretty hereditary. The mind is what you'll have to look for. Zami is a bit hot (her mom was a mare's mare!), but has that lovely long canter, and has been very mellow about jumping and work in hand. We'll see what she does under saddle in the spring.
    - Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams