The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sir Donnerhall II denied Hanoverian approval

What the title says.

Kareen, do you know why?
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

So I heard a couple days ago. Bet Celle is thrilled with that decision.

It is not like he did not do well at his performance testing either.

They did say why (this was back in early Dec) and several "nitpicky" things related to confromation.(believe hind legs ?) two of my friends in Germany used him, and they were laughing as they now have to take their foals oldenburg. Anyway, my understanding was he showed well, and even his rider W. Wittle (spelling?) said so and everyone who was there was very surprised!
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Sir Donnerhall I is approved Hanoverian, correct? Maybe they just don't want another stallion with exactly the same bloodlines (that are not Hanoverian)?
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Could also be more of a political decision than anything else. We won't know. One more reason not to use a stallion before he is approved with one's reg. of choice.

IIRC, Hanover wasn't too keen on approving Sir Donnerhall I, either, although they finally did approve him.

I wonder if it is due to concerns about his croup - isn't that why they didn't like his brother?

Why is there a concern with his croup? I don't think I've seen a conformation picture of him.

I haven't seen a confo photo of him, either - which is why I asked about his croup.

Well anything with Sandro Hit in it is very very hard looked at as there are some things that are not too desired by the hanoverian breeding commissions. We all have not been there and I do not know who has seen him in person. I haven't. But they look very very sharply at the hindleg conformation and feet and what we call "Fundament". I cn not comment on this, but I know some people that I really value who are saying it was not really a suprise to them. In addition he has a great grand dam in the pedigree that is questionable from the hanoverian rules.

What I do not understand is, that Celle does not do some kind of informal inspection with on or the other person of the licensing commission, to know in advance whether putting money into a stallion maybe worth it or not. And for the breeders that are now complaning well they all had to sign a piece of paper telling them that he is not yet approved hanoverian and that they have been told this !

Even worse for breeders is the case Black Jack though. He was offered via Celle and did fall through his test with very very low scores. People who have used him now have to find something to get their foals branded, as he is also not approved with oldenburg. Other than Sir Donnerhall II...
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

Well if nothing else works you can always go ZfDP Once it's running around at GP nobody will care whether it has got a Hanoverian, Old. or Maltheser-cross printed on the bumm...
    I wouldn't be amazed if this is all about some ego-problem or quarrel. Afterall the Hanos can't be too happy about Dr. Brockmann snuggling around with Oldenburger acquisitions... It has been only a few years since Celle State Stud employ´ees weren't even allowed to show anything but Hanoverians during their days off... Now they are sitting on a branded and licensed Oldenburger at the BC.

Actually, when Sir Donnerhall II went through the Oldenburg Korung in 2007, the remarks I heard from those that had seen Sir Donnerhall I at the same age, were that Sir D II was the one with the better conformation. I have seen Sir DII a few times in the flesh and his croup is not flat like his brothers.

I was thrilled Celle was leasing Sir D II, because Celle would hopefully keep the Frozen semen price down. Sir D I is now so expensive to use.

I took some lovely picture of Sir D II this summer at Rastede. I will look for them.

For fun Sir D II as a foal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPm9kvTQ6yA

If you pause at 1.25, there's not a fairly decent view of his confo in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAejl...eature=related

It's not idea, of course, but it gives an overview.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Ehm Sandro Hit? Grand Prix? Where and when? He was retired after winning the 6yo Young Horse WC and has since only been shown to the public at stallion presentations. He never did anything near GP.
    The horse has won a total of 9 ribbons in his lifetime (glossy ones for that matter with the young horse championships being possibly the most recognized young horse test in the world). He placed once at L-level and won 6 M-level young horse tests as well as one M-level test and that's all there is to it. Never shown beyond and never shown after 2000 either. Too busy breeding

level M germany compares to 3rd level US.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

I am thinking of using Sir Donnerhall II. I tried several times with the SD I with no luck and lots of money lost. I quite like what I see in II and am happy to get an Oldenburg brand as that is my association anyway. Hanoverians dont allow buckskin or Palomino color. Will see what kind of foals are born in 2010 and then make a decision. I do have 6 Cremello Warmblood mares that need to go to outside stallions.
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAejlTr-tpk

I think its fairly obvious why he wasn't granted Approval. His hocks are already showing signs of wear and tear even at his young age. I doubt very much that they would stand the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by L&L View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAejlTr-tpk

I think its fairly obvious why he wasn't granted Approval. His hocks are already showing signs of wear and tear even at his young age. I doubt very much that they would stand the test of time.
    How's that? What should I be looking for? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    How's that? What should I be looking for? Thanks
    The poster is talking of his capped hocks.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Are you sure? Capped hocks are more of a cosmetic problem and mostly caused by repeated trauma. I don't think that's what L&L was referring to as wear and tear.