The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cowboy Magic and Tails

How often should you put Cowboy Magic in a horse's tail? Can it be done everyday or only a couple times a week? I want to keep my horse's tail tangle free but I don't want to brush it everyday and cause him to lose more tail hairs.

What do you do to keep your horse's tail nice and thick? Before I bought my horse, he had a nice thick tail but something happened and he stepped on his tail and ripped some of it out. I am trying to get his tail to grow thick and even again.

Any advice? Thanks

My mare has a great, thick tail that has a nasty tendency to roll itself into ringlets. She gets Cowboy Magic (OK, I am cheap and buy the Sally Beauty version for less than half the cost) once a week and her tail gets finger combed (literally with my fingers) every day.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

I just never touch my horse's tail. I spray a mix of water and listerine at the top of his tail and work it in. I also spray my fly spray all over his tail because I put some of Avon's Skin-so-soft in it. I NEVER brush it. Only at horse show or before I bang it. Works really well for me
    His first time having it braided (he's a jumper) he held it up! Haha
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1107720108

Shorter TB tail from the track. I only use cowboy magic when I wash her tail. Then I add it and finger comb through any tangles and brush it out. This is the ONLY time I brush her tail. The rest of the time I spray the pink hair moisturizer spray on it (without brushing) but otherwise LEAVE IT ALONE. Her tail has grown 8 inches in a year with this method. Hoping to touch the ground in 2010.

cowboy magic as in the detangler? I use it once a week and my ponys tail still grew like bamboo. the rest of the week i'd pick out shavings by hand or with a stiff brush. I found that if he went more than a few weeks without any real brushing to his tail, it grew extremely tangled and like dreadlocks, and would have to be cut off

i also find that if you brush a horses tail consistently throughout the week, you should not lose any real amount of hair hair after the initial detangling. (of course youre going to have a couple strands come out each time, but that is what SHOULD happen, just like your OWN hair on your head--we lose tons of strands of hair each day, but that is supposed to happen. it would be pretty bad if we didnt brush our hair, right?)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

In terms of getting the tail to grow, I've had good luck with Listerine rubbed into the roots of the tail hair (only on the upper side of the tail!) If I want the tail to grow, I'll do that once a day. (I used to board at a saddlebred barn, and that's what they all said worked.) I currently use Cowboy Magic at the top of the tail (where it is underneath the tail flap of my turnout blankets) to keep the turnout from rubbing out the tail hair. Otherwise, in terms of detangling, I don't like Cowboy Magic. In my experience, Canter Mane and Tail works much better. Spray it on, leave it sit for two to three minutes, and brush away! It smells great and it really does help with tangles for the advertised two weeks.
    As far as replenishing the tail hair that your horse has lost--I have one gelding who always seems to have a thin, weedy tail. I decided one winter to do some serious work on fixing that. My horse was turned out in a pasture full of MISERABLE burrs, so what I did was--remove burrs and untangle tail; Listerine at top of tail on roots (every day I was at the barn whether I unbraided the tail or not); 2 palmfuls of cheap human hair conditioner full strength finger combed through tail hair. Then I separated the tail into three and used one of those three part braid-able tail sacks. I would leave that in for two or three weeks, then take it out and repeat.
    It kept the burrs out of his tail and since it was winter he didn't need to swish! Obviously the rubber bands weren't great for the hair at the bottom of his tail but it worked--his tail thickened up great and grew about 14 inches. It's about time for me to do it again!

I would not brush the tail too often. Just get the tangles out with your fingers. Cowboy Magic is great. All of you that use Listerine, be aware that it has an ingredient in it that is testable. So be careful using it in show season.
    "Riding is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down, like a game of solitaire. It's a great passion." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Benign neglect will get the tail thick. constant brushing pulls hair each time so picking out shavinges, etc and an occassonal washing and conditioning.

I pick out shavings and detangle with my fingers once a week or so. I'll use Cowboy Magic on it to detangle if it's got some knots or dreads in it. Otherwise I only brush it right before washing, and then after it's dried again will use the Cowboy Magic spray and brush it out again. It's touching the ground now, which is starting to get a little annoying in our nasty weather... guess I'm going to have to bust out a tail bag soon!

Wow, am I the only one that brushes the tails every day and has never had a problem with thinning tails? I put in Cowboy Magic around twice a week and brush carefully starting from the bottom and grabbing on tight to the hair so that the brush isn't actually pulling on the tail itself, just the hairs below my grip. Haven't had a problem yet!
    I'd rather be riding!

Quote Originally Posted by Moocow View Post
    Wow, am I the only one that brushes the tails every day and has never had a problem with thinning tails?
    Nope. I brush my geldings tail every single day I groom. I always spray it with detangler spray and comb with a human quality hair brush starting from the bottom ends and work my way up. I have never had an issue with a thinning tail as a result of brushing but I am super careful too. My horse has nice thick, long tail that I have to trim about once a month to prevent it from dragging on the ground since he's been on omegahorseshine.

Interestingly I have a friend that bought a fieldhunter QH with a REMARKABLY thick, long tail. After about a year of him being out of work and not getting groomed regularly at all his tail thinned away to nearly nothing. I tend to think it's because he lived outside and got caught in branches etc... and since it was never groomed ended up losing alot of hair. He had always lived outside but didn't lose the quality of his tail until he stopped getting regular grooming. Needless to say I don't believe in the "no brushing" rule after seeing the change in his tail and the consistent quality in my own horses with brushing.
    Last edited by LookinSouth; Jan. 19, 2010 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AHorseSomeDay View Post
    Any advice? Thanks

my horses' already nice, long tail improved to thicker, longer and super shiny with Omega Horseshine. I LOVE that stuff!

I brush the tail once a week. Cowboy magic it up (not show sheen. uck that stuff is the worst) and twist the tail and start from the bottom and go up. Twisting makes sure you don't pull any hairs out.

Never heard of the listerine thing...Is it really safe? Anyone have problems with it? I really want to try this. How many times a week/month should I apply it?

I comb every day (mostly to remove shavings), and Cowboy Magic about once a week, as needed.

The trick is to start at the bottom and hold the hair so you take the stress off the roots. Just like you might comb your own hair if it's given to tangles and falling out.

OMG! Cowboy Magic detangler really is magic!! I used it this morning to untangle a thick tail that was literally like a baseball bat. It was matted and so gross... I used my fingers and CM and in a little while that tail was beautiful again!

I'm not normally a tail brushing kind of preson, but I use CM about once a week or maybe a little longer between to keep my guy's super thick tail from turning into a rat's nest. No brushing, just fingers and CM keeps it good.

Maya01, I learned about Listerine from Pony Club. It's great for fighting dandruff and rain rot. I remember using it daily for a while on a pony with dandruff in her mane.
    Y'all ain't right!

I dont do hardly anthing to my guy's tail. It is beyond thick. It is white, so I wash it about once every two weeks during the warmer seasons and when ever I can during the winter. I use a shampoo with a lot of aloe vera in it. Also, I have a little homemade spray of aloe vera, tea tree oil, olive oil, and water that I use occasionally. It really bulks up the tail and makes it look thicker without attracting dirt like cowboy magic and many other detanglers do. I have also found that if used on a regular basis, cowboy magic tends to make the hair dry and brittle.

Of course, the best way to a good thich, lush tail is through proper nutrition.
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

I am a daily tail brusher and use Cowboy magic detangler or Absorbene detangler. works great. my horses tail is thick, healthy and long.

I have been known since i was little as the "Show Sheen Queen" haha. I like my horses, even the pasture puffs to be clean, clipped up, and tidy. Usually everytime i ride i do a little swoosh of show sheen/cowboy magic around. Keeps them cleaner and easier to manage especially when they looooove rolling in that special mud-hole.

I dont brush tails daily as i think it damages the the tail. i usually comb out the top (usually where the tail flap of a coat will cover it) but i usually bursh out every once in awhile. I routinely wash with the whitening shampoo. that stuff works great even if the tail isn't white or grey. it is like a conditioner and keeps the tail soft and tangle free. before the tail dries i usually spray in some show sheen/cowboy magic and it keeps the tail nice, fluffy, and clean for weeks to come.

I have super long hair and i used to use cowboy magic in my own hair to keep it tangle free and managable and it worked great but usung cowboy magic/show sheen on a daily basis wont hurt a thing

I use it a couple of times a week and I never have to brush pony's tail, what little sticks in it is easy to pick out by hand. This pony had the skimpiest tail ever, after a year of using Cowboy Magic I just recently noticed that it is twice as thick as before I started and its so long we have to keep cutting it when it reaches the ground. Of course his original tail was so awful that even now after the new growth and thickness he has a thin tail but that is still twice as good as it was.

I handpick tangles and shavings every time I groom, and apply a detangler whenever I think it needs it, or about once a week-once every other week. In the winter, I braid and wrap or bag the tails to keep them from getting torn up and tangled when the horses don't need flyswatters, this has helped make even a thin short tail turn into a long thick one in no time.