The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dressage breeders: can we use these sires more?

In my experience and talking to dressage trainers/owners/buyers-
    Dressage stallion babies that are very marketable (frozen or fresh):
    (this is a very short list and there are many more)

Belissimo M (where are all the Belissimo babies? I want to see more please . . especially out of W-line mares with a strong hind leg)
    Quaterback
    Sir Donnerhall
    Sandro Hit
    Blue Hors Romanov (we need more Romanov babies too . . . I only know of a handful in the U.S.. I own one from Sunny Days Hanoverians and I would love to have a sibling as well. Home Again Farm has a nice one coming. I can definitely put in a good word for this stallion based on the babies I have seen. I think Judy Yancey likes him too.)
    His Highness
    Florencio
    Sinatra Song
    Jazz

A side note. I'd love to see some Bentley (Belissimo x Weltmeyer) foals when they arrive . .did anyone breed to him?
    Last edited by kdavies; Jan. 15, 2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: To change title

Just curious why Sinatra Song is on the list. The oldest Sinatra Song foals (in N.A) are coming 3 year old this year. I'm not sure people have a good idea what kind of rideability they have yet. Just asking...

(I have a coming 2 year old SS filly who is beautiful, but I have no idea how rideable she'll be, that's why I'm wondering. )

Doing my part! After a very long stallion search for my Hanoverian mare's first true dressage baby, I fell in love with Romanov as soon as I saw his video. Can't wait!

Great re: Romanov foal.

I think Sinatra Song and Quaterback are on the list (even though offspring are just becoming of riding age) is that they are good foal makers in general and are popular stallions?? The foals at least look like they will be nice to ride and look to swing through the back I'm guessing . . .

Time will tell on the rideability of both I'm sure.

That sounds reasonable. My girl is stunning... even now in what's supposed to be the ugly 2 year old stage.

I don't know how much frozen there is for His Highness, but there will obviously be limits there. Hopefully Benidetto will carry the Bellisimo torch here some.

I think there are going to be several Quaterbacks and Sinatra Songs coming. I know this breeder
    http://www.rocksolidwarmbloods.com/Profiles.htm
    has several nice mares in foal to SS.

kdavies, you should come to my farm! Those lines are well-represented here as I have:
    a Sandro Hit x Donnerhall mare (and her filly by Rousseau)
    a Hohenstein mare
    a Florencio x Jazz mare
    a Stedinger x Hohenstein colt (and a full sibling due in March)

I plan to use Benidetto at some point, probably with my Sandro Hit mare. Benidetto is producing gorgeous offspring so far.

I would love to YankeeLawyer! Yes, Benidetto is throwing nice foals . . can't wait to see more of them. Would be a nice cross with Sandro Hit mare as long as she has a strong hind leg I think. Here's a Belissimo M x Sandro Hit from PSI.

http://www.psi-auktion.de/aos-auktio...09/reitpferde/

Scroll down to number 75 Belandra. Nice mare. I'd take her.

Belissimo x W-line has been such a nice cross/nick I think. I haven't seen one I wouldn't want in my barn.

Kim

Michigan Breeder helping this request:

Quaterback out of a EMC His Highness Mare coming in 3/10.

Hotline out of SPS Rosentau/Weltmeyer coming in 4/10

Weltmeyer out of His Highness Mare coming in 4/10 (Already SOLD!)

Also another MI breeder friend has a great Sinatra Song foal coming in 5/10.

All foals intended for sale this year, no hold backs.
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

I have a Blue Hors Romanov coming this 6/10 out of my Warkanson/Akzent II mare. Really excited for this cross.

I like your list as well. Would love to try Bellissimo M on my mare as well.
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Also doing my part!

I'll be breeding my Bruderherz/ Akzent II mare to Romanov in the spring.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

I am curious as to why Contucci would not be on this list. Looking at the last three years, he is consistently at or near the top of the list for both dressage and dressage breeding sires.

How much does the USEF ranking of the sire influence marketability of the foal?

I have narrowed my choices for this year for my hanoverian mare to Contucci, Rousseau, Bugatti. Assuming equal quality, which would give me the most marketable foal in the dressage market?

Pulling up the 2009 USEF leading sires of dressage horses,
    #1 is Contucci
    2. Contango
    3. Weltmeyer
    4. Flemmingh
    5. Come Back II
    6. Idocus
    7. Gaucho III
    8. Jazz
    9. Donnerhall
    10. Rantares

http://www.usef.org/documents/points...s/Dressage.pdf

Dressage breeding is a bit different -
    1. Royal Prince
    2. Bugatti Hilltop
    3. Sir Sinclair
    4. Don Principe
    5. Radikal
    6. Donates
    7. Harmony's Rousseau
    8. UB-40
    9. Don Schufro
    10. Contendro

http://www.usef.org/documents/points...geBreeding.pdf

I purchased a Contango mare that will be crossed with UB40 this year (Jazz), and I'm watching Ampere as he is a pretty nice nick with her dam and sire lines.

Well I have a Rubignon and a Soprano coming in the spring.
    Both sold in-utero to dressage riders.
    I think you can find two types of people looking for young prospects.
    1-Those that follow the breeders network and updates and are up to speed on the new excitting stallions making their mark in their performance test and various venues in europe and here.
    2-Those that are immersed in the dressage world and follow results of various horses. They see a some offspring from a specific stallion (even compete against them) and they like what they see in that offspring and they go looking for foals by the same sire or with similar lines.
    I think that you would get different list of "marketable" sires depeding who you asked.
    Just my opinon of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiddenacresmi View Post
    Michigan Breeder helping this request:

Quaterback out of a EMC His Highness Mare coming in 3/10.

Hotline out of SPS Rosentau/Weltmeyer coming in 4/10

Weltmeyer out of His Highness Mare coming in 4/10 (Already SOLD!)

Also another MI breeder friend has a great Sinatra Song foal coming in 5/10.

All foals intended for sale this year, no hold backs.
    I have the Sinatra Song out of EMC Donnabella (Donnerschlag/Baryshnikov)

also a Rubignon out of Bel Etrice (Baryshnikov/Raphael)

Hidden Acres and Spruce Glen Farm are going to have open houses in July (date not yet confirmed) on the same day one morning and one afternoon. You can visit two Michigan Hanoverian Breeders in the same day and see all five foals. We are really looking forward to this event and hope you can attend!

I have some of these bloodlines represented as well.

Bolero NSN - 2006 provisional Ster KWPN-NA Sir Donnerhall x Idocus gelding who was one of the top-placed adult horses for conformation-movement in the 2009 KWPN-NA keuring tour.

Electra NSN - Soprano (Sandro Hit -Contender) x Idocus filly - half-sister to Bolero. Gorgeous black filly. Sorry folks, this one is a keeper for my breeding program.

In-Utero Soprano x Ferro for 2010 - out of my "Top Five" keur eligible Ferro x Wanroij mare. Sold.

Plans are to re-breed Idocus mare back to Soprano this year.
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never...01844536521951

I'm confused as to the premise of this thread. Breeders are being encouraged to use stallions from a list created by someone who doesn't know why the particular stallions are on it?

This thread is an interesting juxtaposition to one on Doolittle and mega-stallion stations.

Interesting or odd?
    I'll go with odd.

I don't subscribe to the bandwagon theory of breeding to the hot heavily marketed stallions.

The only stallion I used in his first year was Idocus. Not a bad choice.

For what it's worth, I didn't mean for this thread to be a debate or to seem odd against the Doolittle thread.

I was speaking as a buyer myself (and speaking with other buyers) of in-utero babies, just born foals, and weanlings . . . I have found that certain bloodlines are of more interest and demand than others. I didn't see many babies in 2009 coming from the above mentioned stallions nor did I see many coming in 2010. Anyway, when buying in utero or young foals, you usually only have bloodlines to look at, so certain bloodlines are usually preferred. And of course, quality mares (from quality mare lines, etc) are necessary.

I was just speaking from a buyer's perspective to the breeders that (of course want to improve the breed) and pair their mare with the best stallion possible, but also want to sell their babies in utero or as foals.

Again, it's a whole different ball game when you are talking about buying horses under saddle.

And note I have the "new" popular hyped stallions from newer dressage bloodlines" (Quaterback, Sir Donnerhall, Sandro Hit, Sinatra Song), the "newer stallions from older, established bloodlines" (Belissimo M, His Highness, Blue Hors Romanov, Florencio) and of course, the one and only "very proven sire" Jazz. There are more than can be added to the list I am sure. I'll actually add Contendro (very proven sire)to this list too.

Kim

Westfalensforstrength Guest

Yankeelawyer et al.: Can you please send links to your farms - I want to buy them all!