The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Fetlocks: you made a good point...and made me realize I'm pretty much in the same boat...I often skip it if it's a link to a photo album.

FWIW, not all photo storage come in the "album" set up. I have a GeoCities account that allows me to store one pic per page, so when someone clicks on the link, all they'd see is the one pic, and NO pop ups.... it's a paid account BTW, so no advertisements/pop-ups.

"I loathe being annoyed. It makes me feel angry and malicious" -- Lestat de Lioncourt http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

I think it's an excellent idea, along with other perks for paid membership such as the chat room and the personalized titles (as a previous poster mentioned.)

I also agree that the free photo hosting websites can be really slow (Photo Island, for one, I can NEVER see those pages, and I have a super duper new computer and am on cablemodem). BUT there are tons of them out there, one good one is www.cartogra.com

All in all, I think it's a great idea. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

>^.,.^<
    ~~Linda
    (Poster formerly known as BlueGreenBlue)

"My treasures do not clink or glitter; they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

I think it's a great idea to pay if you want to upload pics. If it's taking up 30% of the flat fee bandwidth, why not make the pic posters pay for it? I'd be happy to pay. And I do not agree that it is elitist, since there are several options for those not wishing to pay.

Really, when you think about it, 90% of the pics we post are BS fluff pics anyhow. Fun and cute and nice to look at, but BS all the same. So if it's like Hollywood and we have a pay or play, that's fine by me.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Guess I'm in the minority, but I would *not* like to see the BB stratified that way. Instead I would endorse not allowing *any* pics to be uploaded to COTH's server at all. If people want to post pics, they should find and use their own web space, not COTH's. I have no issue w/ clicking on a link to another server.

Why not paid Classifieds? I bet that would offset the costs of maintaining the BB!

I think I agree with Lizviola.

I almost would rather everyone have to pay to post, and then continue with the features we've become so accustomed to using.

Robby

"Don't mince words, don't be evasive
    Speak your mind, be persuasive"
    Madonna
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Lakefieldhoney has a point too. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif I sort of stayed out of that thread since I am not sure I would actually use them, but if it would generate useful income for COTH then I'd favor it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>90% of the pics we post are BS fluff pics anyhow <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> HEY! I resemble that remark! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Tin's gonna be ticked if she doesn't get her Maddie fix.

As I stated a year or so ago, I would pay the additional amount to continue membership as long as the BB itself is not pay to play.

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

This may win me a flame or two, but I'm with Robby...I would support defraying the cost by imposing a pay-to-play subscription.

I truly consider this BB one of the best on the internet, largely due to the moderation of content. (Odd coming from me, eh Erin? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif If a fee as low as $10 annually would help to keep it alive, who on earth could object to paying it?

A higher subscription rate might well "change the dynamics" of the board, but anyone who has access to the internet should be able and willing to support this valuable resource at such a price.

Just my $10 worth.

Northern VA, USA - where farm land is being lost to McMansions

Well now I'm feeling guilty http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_redface.gif I do post photos every now and again, but yesterday I went on a binge with snow photos, I could have easily put them on my site to share, but the add attachment is so easy...

Also wanted to add, that most all the photos I have posted are well under 40KB, cropped, sized, etc. but I have notice a lot of photos are HUGE not cropped (like the whole scanner bed is included, etc) is there anyway to LIMIT the size of uploads? that could help.

I certainly wouldn't mind paying for a premium account--especially if I could keep queen of the pintos! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif But I don't think as suggested it should be an all or nothing.

I also think that the classifieds could MAKE the COTH mucho $$$ and I also think banner ads on the header and footer of the forums could make $$$ and pay the excess costs. I would LOVE to have a banner here! Check out the way Ultimate Dressage forum does it, the banners do not distract from the site at all and I bet even the big wigs like Purina would want to advertise this way. You all have the contacts, so it should be easy. The one on-line venture that the COTH did/does? offer that I think was NOT very successful are the on-line stallion ads--too pricey and to off the beaten path. But banners, yes, I really like that idea!

Liz Hall silverwoodfarm.com
    Pinto & Colored Warmbloods Stallions
    Liz Hall silverwoodfarm.com Warmblood Pintos

I very rarely open pics anymore, takes too long on my connection. I never post any either, so I'll keep my opinion on that to myself.

I vote for a paid classified secion. I also was thrilled when someone posted a thread that said "Don't respond, just read". Seems to me a lot of space is wasted by everyone saying the same thing on the sympathy threads. Not that I am not sympathetic! But pages of I'm sorry or Jingles seem like a waste. How about we look at the views to see how many cared instead of how many posted?

A paid premium prescription sounds good to me.

OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!!
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I have no problem with a premium paid subscription that offers more services like posting attachments. However, if you want to raise money for the BB, how about selling COTH caps again http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

~~ Does killing time hurt eternity?~~
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

I,personally like the idea! I always post a link to my photo album at a different site. I find it much easier when wanting to post multiple photos. There are some great free photo hosting sites out there that we can take advantage of. That way we can still see those cute critters!!!

** Proud member of the Klutz Klique and the Appaloosa Clique**
    If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago.
    ~George Morris
    Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2014

Human nature being what it is, one thing you may want to keep in mind about the "pay-to-post-pictures" (PPP) priviledges, is that a small number of BBer's might try to circumvent it.

Specifically, someone without PPP priviledges might forward the picture to someone with PPP priviledges. The person with the priviledges would then post the picture.

Granted, most folks would not do this, but every now and then this BB has run into an individual or two who needs a little help "organizing their behavior". http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

If this problem does arise, it could be taken care of by the moderators - something to do in your "leisure time". http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Thanks for making this available for discussion. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Whistlejacket on Feb. 18, 2003 at 08:19 AM.]

Ooooh caps, caps, caps! (I missed 'em the first time around!)

And POLO SHIRTS! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Erin

This is the classic marketing question of price vs volume.

Anyone selling widgets wants to maximize their profit. If you price your widget at $$$Max then volume--&gt;&gt;zero. If you price widget at $$$MIN then volume ---&gt;&gt;&gt;infinity. This seems to be the case for the BB as the "price" is $$$0000, therefore the volume approaches "infinity"....

The "art" of pricing is to determine the optimal mix of price vs volume to maximize profit. There is also a concept of "bundling" products. PM me if you would like more on this.

To answer your specific questions, my preference is to keep general access free, then require a paid subscription for "special privileges." This subscription could allow you to post pictures or access to classifieds.

I have found the BB quite useful and would hate to see it shut down.

Paying to post pics would be fine with me. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer- upper".

Northern VA, USA - where farm land is being lost to McMansions

OK I did a little web math;

I took one of the threads with a photo theme and added up the file size. The thread I choose had 33 photos attached they ranged in size from 14KB-to a whooping 231KB. 23 of the photos where over 50KBs those 23 photos = 2.5MEGS ! of space quite a lot for ONE THREAD (And again that's only counting the ones over 50KB) Now if a file size limit was in place of 50KB that would reduce that tread by over half by 1.5MEGS. So as a first step (and I am all for paid privileges) I'd see if you can limit upload size via infopop, this in itself would greatly help and help right away.

Liz Hall silverwoodfarm.com
    Pinto & Colored Warmbloods Stallions
    Liz Hall silverwoodfarm.com Warmblood Pintos

I'll chime in with support for the paid subscription for special options (custom title, picture-posting), with the basic board included free.

I also like the idea of trying to limit file upload size. There's no need for photos to be above 100kb - and probably no real need for them to be above 50kb.