The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default advice to hj rider on prper hunt attire needed

I'm riding with a hunt in February and although I was told that my navy show coat would be fine for a guest I was still glared at by one of the huntsmen when I mentioned it

So I need a black one and a shirt w stock tie and pin and otherwise I'm ok in khaki breeches and field boots right?

Where can I find an inexpensive (but not icky) maybe used hunt coat and is there some sort of descriptor that seperates it from the horse show style "hunt coats". Or, is it in fact exactly the same, just solid black?

help!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tisor View Post
    I'm riding with a hunt in February and although I was told that my navy show coat would be fine for a guest I was still glared at by one of the huntsmen when I mentioned it
    Then the huntsman doesn't have enough to do

Don't worry about it. If you are riding with them once, wear your navy coat. Worry about buying a black hunt coat when/if you decide to join.

Have fun!

Navy is generally just fine, indeed standard for ladies (black or navy are the traditional accepted colors). As for show coat cut versus hunt coat cut- don't even worry about it. If you have permission to wear what you have from Master or secretary- just smile and ignore glares and have fun!

I assume your field boots are black- still not 'traditional' for hunting but rest assured that they've been worn in the hunt field for decades, so again, don't worry about it. Heck, I've seen masters and huntsmen with black field boots w/brown tops added.

He glared?

Sorry I just think that's really funny.

Maybe he just thought you were nuts for wearing a thin show coat to hunt in the middle of winter. Brrrrrr!

Wear the show coat and buy some UnderArmour. (or long johns or whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by tisor View Post
    There is only one huntsman - he's the one with the horn, talking to the hounds. I promise - he doesn't care what colour your coat is. The only other person to worry about is the Master, anybody else can kiss your dainty little -ss.

wear what u havre...
    ifyou decide you like hunting , then invest in a melton hunt coat
    try.......equestrian collection....4 cheap new hunt clothes
    leslie

Default thanks!

well the glarer IS british and a military officer so.....

OK so I'm alright in a navy pinstripe coat? old school pytchley wool. do i need to at least get the right shirt? i need the tie no?

i'm going navy! i'll look up some rules and send them to him

yes boots are black field boots

thanks again!!!

Well actually, you didn't mention pinstripes earlier- 'solid' navy is the standard- but again, you've gotten an okay and you are hunting as a guest, so no worries. You do need the stock tie. For a shirt- well, if you have a white ratcatcher shirt that is fine- you could also get by, and warmer, with a white turtleneck and just tie the stock over that (in such a way as to camouflage the 'turtle' neck).

If you've talked to the MFH, you're okay. It's more important to be on time (like early for a lesson on time), clean from head to toe, and be ready to have fun. Oh, too-try not to run over or kick anything-it will be fine.

well then I may as well scare up a black one on ebay and a shirt and tie.

i'm riding an experienced hunt horse so my plan is just to hang on and stay out of the way!

Depending on the location/the weather you've been having, you may not want to wear your 'show' coat. Maybe it is just me but I manage to get pretty muddy (even staying on the horse.) On several occasions I was glad I had on a consignment-tack-store black wool coat and not one of my show coats, although the master probably couldn't have cared less. I'm not sure my show coat would have held up to the rigors of hunting (or been as presentable afterward.)

Just a thought. If you have any tack shops with decent consignment sections, a quick look for a heavier weight used coat might be a good idea... both for the possible temperature and the preservation of your show jackets. Of course if you are lucky enough to be someplace warm and dry... nevermind.
    Fun equestrian t-shirts designed by a rider like you:
    http://skreened.com/laughinglion

Default Hey, wait a minute

Having hunted with the Royal Artillery Hunt in England, where pretty much EVERYONE is British and a military officer, I can say they are some of the most laid-back, sporting, and genuine foxchasers (they don't, after all, hunt these days) that you could ever hope to ride with. I hope you won't hold "British" and "military" against anyone!

thanks all. I absolutely don’t hold the britsh-ness or the officer-ness against this gentleman. i even like the formality!
    I’m in California so it should be neither rough nor cold. ugh fingers crossed it’s not raining. blech.

I’ve found some cheap ones online but am afraid they're cheap because they're terrible.

do you know the gatsby girl brand? or triumph?
    Last edited by tisor; Jan. 16, 2010 at 08:52 PM.

Default Hunt coats and vest on TOTD for $197 TOTAL

This might help! http://www.tackoftheday.com/ (Jan 19-20, noon to noon). This way you aren't out a ton of money if you want to be correct

Preferably single vented !

160 found me an ovation - mid weight melton hunt coat. of course the ebay store doesnt have it in stock despite taking my money for it.... on hold...

if this is a bad coat do let me know, i can still reverse it!

gildersleve Guest

, and genuine foxchasers (they don't, after all, hunt these days)

Not strictly true. Both foxes and stags are still regularly caught and dispatched 'by accident'. I know, I live in the heart of British hunting country.

I always though a navy coat was fine for ladies? I probably wouldn't worry about it.
    However, a lot of times when I am in goodwill, I see many many potential riding jackets! There are several styles of hunting coats, but basically some are longer and some are more waist length. And most with 3 buttons.

You should check with the hunt on what color of coat to get....Some say only a certain color, but mostly it is black. Also, they want plain calf boots for formal hunts, not field boots. you'll want to get a good melton wool hunt coat also.

Quote Originally Posted by babalina View Post
    You should check with the hunt on what color of coat to get....Some say only a certain color, but mostly it is black. Also, they want plain calf boots for formal hunts, not field boots. you'll want to get a good melton wool hunt coat also.
    For ladies, what color boots?
    West of nowhere