The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can a grade QH be registered?

I have a grade quarter horse that has no papers and was bought at an auction (not by me) and came with no papers. Is there anyway to get him registered with AQHA? Maybe through blood DNA typing or some lesser-known association? He's also a paint (or pinto) -- a minimal overo.

Any suggestions?
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

If he has pinto markings, he can be registered pinto and thus shown in Pinto shows (this is assuming he's a gelding). I think stallions are supposed to have known heritage.

Start working back through the paper work you have. Call the name on the paperwork you got him from the name on the coggins you got with him etc. Be nice, be persistant.

AQHA has no accessible DNA verification for lost papers - I sure wish they would allow it to be accessible - they frustrate the HELL out of me over there!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

He was purchased at an auction by someone else and I purchased the gelding from that person. I pulled my own coggins prior to purchase as he didn't have his (said he had it, but could not find it ). This is a wonderful gelding and looks very much the typical foundation QH. I'd just like to have papers of some sort for him.

Use of DNA is much more limited than you might think. You could do a DNA test to rule out or confirm that your horse is from a particular dam/sire. But I don't think any registry could take DNA from a horse with completely unknown lineage, and identify who his parents are from among the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of registered horses.

Despite what you see on CSI and House, DNA isn't really a cosmic microchip identification system!

How about going for performance based recognition, instead of registry papers?
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Do you think he was already registered and you need to hunt down his papers? Getting lost papers replaced would be doable.
    or
    Are you asking if a grade horse with unknown parentage can be registered?

No way! is the most likely answer. To many ins and outs to type so read this http://www.aqha.com/association/regi...onrules_10.pdf

You need to know his parents, they need to be registered, you would have to have the genetic test done and if he is a mature horse it will cost you around $1000!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

I'm in the same boat... I have a horse bought from a dealer who picked him up at auction. Supposedly he had papers and was Skipper W bloodlines... the dealer had the papers somewhere in his "files" (a.k.a. the back of his truck). I bought him knowing full well I'd either never get papers or get generic papers on some sorrel QH with a blaze. Ah, well. (:

I don't mind too much... I'm not interested in breed shows, and I hope I never have to sell him...

If you want a properly registered horse, buy a registered horse and look the registration papers over to be sure they match the horse you are buying and that the transfer is correct, so you can transfer those papers into your name.

One little detail that many don't know is that registration papers are no legal proof of ownership, so be sure to get a bill of sale any time you buy any horse.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I'm in the same boat... I have a horse bought from a dealer who picked him up at auction. Supposedly he had papers and was Skipper W bloodlines... the dealer had the papers somewhere in his "files" (a.k.a. the back of his truck). I bought him knowing full well I'd either never get papers or get generic papers on some sorrel QH with a blaze. Ah, well. (:

I don't mind too much... I'm not interested in breed shows, and I hope I never have to sell him...
    I have a grade QH (I guess he's QH, he looks like it). Asked his breeding I just say he's out of Oklahoma, by Stock Trailer.

My biggest concern before I bought him was that he was HYPP negative. He tested negative, I'm having a grand time riding him, he gets to have his very own person to dote on him, and it's all good.

If there were any possible way that he could be positively identified it would be fun and interesting to know his background but it isn't really important to me. I have been tempted to post a "do you know this horse?" thread but I doubt I'd have any luck anyway.

I am just starting to show him in some local Western pleasure classes, and I guess at the level I am at (novice) registration papers won't become an issue.

I was just hoping if we could confirm his breed it might make a difference in breed shows somewhere down the line.

if he is a paint or pinto, he cannot be a registered QH. Unless, he has paint markings and had 2 AQHA parents and was born within the time that AQHA accepted excessive white, which has me all confused.

But sometimes i get the feeling people think that a paint is a type of AQHA registered horse, as in "he's a paint QH". It doesn't work that way.

I hate to sound negative, but it sounds like there is no way this horse is registerable, unless you can contact the person who has his papers, if there even are papers. And he doesn't need them anyway if you are showing at open shows or other association shows. He just can't be shown at breed shows. So it sounds like you will be fine without papers anyway. Have fun showing open shows, they are cheaper & shorter anyway!

Paint is a member of a registry; pinto is a color pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Paint is a member of a registry; pinto is a color pattern.
    Pinto horses also have an association.

http://www.pinto.org/about_pinto.html
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Paint is the English word, pinto the spanish one for horses with color genetics that make their bodies look "patchy", not even colored thru the body.

Not to be confused with white markings, that are those other genetic color marks in the face and legs, which is different than the body patchy coloring genes.

Today, there are color horse registries that call themselves Paint and Pinto.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie-monster View Post
    But sometimes i get the feeling people think that a paint is a type of AQHA registered horse, as in "he's a paint QH". It doesn't work that way.
    True. But I refer to my APHA registered horse as a "paint QH" sometimes, to distinguish from the APHA horses with TB ancestry. Quanah's one of those little fireplug foundation types and nobody's who's ever seen him would think he has any TB in him but on the interwebz sometimes I find the term "paint QH" gives a clearer picture.

I think the OP said her horse was a "minimal overo" - would that still be too much white for the AQHA?

OP - I don't think there's much way to register your horse. I don't know how I'd register mine - and I even know his registered name and birthdate. Houdini's papers were lost and I don't know the name of his last owner - she'd gone off to college and left him with a relative to be sold. My BO bought him from the relative and then I bought him from my BO. But I don't care - if we show, we'd just do the local circuit anyway.
    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

when i was a kid, we had an unpapered QH that was registered with the Generic Horse Association. i still giggle about that.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    I have a grade QH (I guess he's QH, he looks like it). Asked his breeding I just say he's out of Oklahoma, by Stock Trailer.

For a stolen horse: out of Paddock, by Night.
    OTTB: Out of Training, by Rescue
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Quote Originally Posted by Anselcat View Post

For a stolen horse: out of Paddock, by Night.
    OTTB: Out of Training, by Rescue

I had not heard that last line yet. Sadly too true.

I think that if someone doesn't has any papers on a horse, no matter the breed or mixes they think the horse looks like, they are just guessing, like we so well know in dog shelters.

Just be happy with the horse in front of you as it shows you to be, because it could be any and all kinds of mixtures in there, no matter what it looks like.
    Some breed's phenotypes may come thru, but that doesn't mean that individual may even be close to be that breed only.

Most grade horses, no matter how nice, are just that, grade and that is fine.