The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dishwasher, top rack. Same for bits
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Never washed a halter because mine are leather. But lead ropes get put in the washing machine with some old towels when they get v. dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    This is how we do them! We hang them on the fence and blast the dirt right out of them. I was amazed at how many of my "faded" halters changed color back almost completely!
    Yup, that's how I do mine too. Buckle them on the top rail and blast away. You could throw them in the washer after pressure washing to finish them off if you wanted too.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Wow! This has been really intersting. Thanks for all the replies. I put a bunch of nylon halters in the washing machine with towels and rags and all but one came out clean. The one that didn't will go in the dishwasher (top shelf) along with some lead lines tomorrow while hubby is at work. LOL

Bits? I had no idea they could be cleaned in the d/w. Oh, this is a godsend!

Thanks, all of you.

Next time you go to the car wash, toss them in the trunk. Hang them on the floormat clamps, only spray them while you're rinsing your car.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Talking

Now see?
    I wandered onto this thread to suggest using a washing machine w/a load of barn towels.....

And came away with 2 great hints.
    Mistyblue: great idea on the baby socks!
    "washing bowling balls" < if that ain't the truth!
    Bad enough in the washer, but a blanket in the dryer sounds like a hailstorm on a tin roof!

And LF:
    LOL! I can just see a load of root veggies swirling around in your old Maytag
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Ok. I can see putting them in the washing machine. All kinds of dirty things go in a washing machine.

But never would I put them in a dishwasher. This is for eating utensils. I mean think about it - - you have sprayed your horse with fly spray while he was wearing that halter - PESTICIDES. Do you WANT that in your dishwasher??? You're not (should not) be spraying fly spray directly onto his head, but let's face it, the wind does carry some of that stuff around - which is precisely why you come home smelling like fly spray.

Bits on the other hand, I would because they can be sterilized during the course of the cycle. But even still I would want to pre-rinse them to get junk off them.

The best idea I've seen is the car wash. You could put them in a bucket and fill that with the soapy soaker prewash stuff if they're really grungy, and then hang them up on the clamps and spray wash. Be sure to rinse well with clean water. Soap could be irritating to the horse's skin.
    Don't think for a second anything from the barn could be so much worse than what you cook up in the kitchen.
    In some cases, even clean looking kitchens are ladden with more bacteria than a clean bathroom...

Not to mention dish washer detergent is some strong sh...stuff!

BTW, ball caps do get nice and clean in the dishwasher as well, strap them in one of them plastic cage thingies and top rack they go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I would be worried about car wash soap being more irritating to a horse's skin than dish detergent or laundry detergent.

Run them through your dishwasher.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Don't think for a second anything from the barn could be so much worse than what you cook up in the kitchen.
    In some cases, even clean looking kitchens are ladden with more bacteria than a clean bathroom...

Not to mention dish washer detergent is some strong sh...stuff!

BTW, ball caps do get nice and clean in the dishwasher as well, strap them in one of them plastic cage thingies and top rack they go.

(quoting myself )

PS: once in a while a cleaning cycle for the dishwasher is a good thing, so you cn run the halters first then give it a good cleaning, problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.