The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Maybe it's time to read this again... looks like something is going to happen.

Very scary time for me... not sure about anyone else but I am concerned about being stranded here or there- possibly without access to either set of horses or family.

Dressager
    California, here we come!!!
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Dressager, you've got to feel lonesome right about now. What a pickle you are in.

Yesterday, on a trail ride under a glorious blue sky, my riding buddy and I were startled by BOOM BOOM off to the west. I'm in rural Alabama, but this wasn't a gun, a blasting cap at a lime plant- this was a huge, dull, thump. Finally, FINALLY, I remembered the Civil War re-enactment scheduled over the weekend. For a few minutes there, I really didn't know WHAT to think. I honestly thought, well, we've got a handgun, cell phone, some water, plenty of beer, and two good horses. Let's just stay out here a while.

"Shoot me now! Shoot me now!"
    Bugs Bunny

katarine- You can only imagine how the anti-American/anti-Bush comments make me feel. I'm not saying I agree with this, but it puts me in a bind. I wish the people here would be more understanding of how hard this is for me.

That must have been a scary experience- although had some Civil War thing being going on with loud noises it probably would be war according to my horse... and I'd be in the dirt!

Dressager
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Here is information to help you prepare.

http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp

Scroll down to

IS-10 and IS-11: Animals in Disaster
    IS-111: Livestock in Disaster

You can download any or all of this. Look for the chapters on doing your own emegency preparedness. Again, this is for all kinds of disasters: flood, hurricane, forest fire, whatever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dressager:
    You can only imagine how the anti-American/anti-Bush comments make me feel. I'm not saying I agree with this, but it puts me in a bind. I wish the people here would be more understanding of how hard this is for me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dressager--I think you're a lot safer in Hong Kong than in the US, and your family/horses safer on the West Coast than in the East, the most likely target for another attack if there is one.

But think of it this way, once the world sees the Iraqi people cheering and waving at the arriving US troops, followed by accounts of the miseries and torture they've been made to suffer under Sadam, you'll see how fast the talk around you changes. The anti-Bush people are in the minority, they're just a lot noisier.

One of America's most highly respected "wartime" Presidents, I'm not sure who (one of the Roosevelt's, maybe?), said something like this:

"The Pacifists will destroy this nation faster than anything else."

(Not counting the French of course!)
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif
    "WHINNYING" IS EVERYTHING!!

I was just devastated by the news of Bush's speech this afternoon.

Thank you for your kind words, you have no idea how much it means to me.

Don't we have a poster from Israel? Does anyone know how she is?

Dressager

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Don't we have a poster from Israel? Does anyone know how she is?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm fine thank you http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif, at least so far....

The mood here is sort of quietly tense, but not panicky. The Civil Defense has said to get the stuff for sealing rooms, but not to seal them yet. As we found out in what I guess is now Gulf War I, a missile falling on you can be bad for the health even if it doesn't carry a gas warhead, so if it turns bad we are going to seal and use the bomb shelter in the basement (now that we've gotten the old matresses, bicycles and tack (OBLIGATORY HORSE CONTENT) out of it). The horses, as I posted before, will be widely separated so as not to be in the kill radius of one missile. The cat will be in the shelter with us, because a) we loff him and b) he makes an excellent bioassay.

At time like this we all need friends, and I am very grateful to have this BB. I hope that all of us, and our loved ones, get through the next few weeks in good health.

--s.
    Under carefully controlled conditions of breeding, training, and care, a horse will do whatever it damn well pleases.

God bless you, starlady and dressager, and all who are or have loved ones on their way to war.

Well, if we go in, and it certainly seems we're goin' in, I say kick ***. Once your commander makes the decision, it's my duty to support it, is how I feel and how I act.

Also have to admit that listening to people like Susan Sarandon and Martin Sheen pontificating almost made me like Bush (almost). What on earth makes these actors think they know more about politics than you, or me, or anyone else? They know NOTHING about anything but acting. REALLY annoying and a huge turn-off to anything they say.

And as my Dad always said in regard to any President, if you don't respect the man, you always respect the office. So if the UN won't, we will, and that's that.

Anne FS- You summed it up so much better than I ever could have. While I may not agree with this 100%, I feel it is my duty to stand behind Bush- especially since I am overseas surrounded by people who make nasty comments.

Dressager

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by starlady:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Don't we have a poster from Israel? Does anyone know how she is?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At time like this we all need friends, and I am very grateful to have this BB. I hope that all of us, and our loved ones, get through the next few weeks in good health.

--s.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep in touch starlady. I'm sure you understand the critism our government is getting, being the subject of it yourselves for so many years.
    I only hope that people here won't spit on the returning troops when they come home, as happened to many Vietnam vets.

Many people here are just plain ignorant of the basic facts. For example, many believe Israel just went in and took control of the occupied terriories in Palestine for no reason!! They don't even know that there is no state (as yet) called Palestine. Nor do they realize the Palestinians were supposed to have been given land by Jordon, after that area was divided up in order to create Jordan and some of its neighbors. Do they even know that Jordon was only one of many Arab countries who kicked the Palestinians out over the years?

Many here have no idea that Israel has only occupied these territories as a result of the wars that have been waged against them 7 times by their Arab neighbors since 1948, winning each time, despite being outnumbered in the millions by the Arab forces. They occupy these territories now because they defeated the countries who tried to annihilate them over and over again. But still would give them back in a heartbeat if they could only be certain that these countries would not attack them again. not helped by Arafat's continued terrorism.

I know you know all this, starlady. Just thought I'd clear things up for anyone who doesn't.

Israel is and has always been our strongest ally in the mid-East. It's a shame we can't use your military might to help our troops now, so as not to piss off the Arabs who support us. Even knowing Israel will retaliate this time if attacked by Iraq again, I pray it won't be necessary.

Go in peace. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif
    "WHINNYING" IS EVERYTHING!!