The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Well isn't it ironic?

After starting this thread, mostly worried about a terrorist attack that probably wouldn't reach me anyway, I watch the news last night where they announce that N. Korea has nuclear bombs that "could potentially" reach the PNW.

Anyway this discussion has been helpful and yes, in the end we can only try to be as prepared as possible without panicing or going
    nuts and building a bomb shelter.

The PNW is probably in much more danger of a major earth quake then a terroist attach or nuclear bombing and I've been prepared for that for years.

Cheers everyone http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

I'll get you my pretty....and your little dog too...ehheheheheheh
    \"given the choice of a majestic horse and a guy who\'s only part of a horse, I\'ll take the horse any day\"
    Budweiser commercial

I just can't get worked up over this. I just can't.

My greatest fear is losing someone I love (including critters), not my own demise, but I can't protect them all. My having duct tape and sheeting won't keep the gas away from my various horses, or more importantly my family in parts far and near. Mr. Heather is on a plane today. 3 days of water won't keep the plane up.

Not to mention, I can't imagine some of this stuff working, at least with my horses. I've got one who won't tolerate a plastic bag in his stall, let alone on his head, and that much ace would stop his gut, causing him to colic anyway.

At the gym this morning all the gym ladies were getting progressively more hysterical about all this. I just can't. Whether or not something happens, my mortgage is still due, my deadlines are still looming, and my critters all still need to be fed and worked.

I won't lie and say I'm not stressed out by all this, I am, but it's more the feeling of helplessness, than fear of where I'm going to find plastic sheeting. I can't make everyone I love safe. That sucks. But that's life, with or without Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The true conspiracy is that Osama and Sadaam own duct tape and plastic sheeting factories.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    OMG ROTFLMAO!!! If only you could have seen the looks I recieved when I burst out laughing in the computer lab here at school :lol
    That would definitly be one for the history books http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Because at the point where you can comprehend how incomprehensible it all is, you're about as smart as you need to be. - Trudy The Search For Signs....
    Because at the point where you can comprehend how incomprehensible it all is, you\'re about as smart as you need to be. - Trudy The Search For Signs....

We are trying to at least stock up on supplies and water. Around here they are saying to at least prepare for a loss of power for several days IF anything is to happen. We will have enough food and water for us and the animals for several days. If we have to evacuate we will turn our horses out with blankets, round bales, and lots of water...our dogs and cats will come with us.

An idea for storing water-buy large totes, fill them up where you would need them (in the pasture) and keep lids on so they stay clea

"There are times when you can trust a horse, time when you can't, and times when you have to."

www.boo.riana.com

Our local stations are telling us to have duct tape, plastic, food, water and cash. Yeah, so I can seal myself into my room of cash only to sufficate on day 2? And if I am not to leave my sealed room what do I need the cash for? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Up here you can't store large volumes of water unless you have a heated building. We get 1 - 2" ice overnight on our tanks if the electricity goes out. Popsicles anyone?

Proud member of the "I Hate Physical Therapy" clique | Auction for Aiden!
    YaBB me baby! http://www.hopefulfarm.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather:
    At the gym this morning all the gym ladies were getting progressively more hysterical about all this.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? That's depressing. I thought Americans were tougher than that. Tell them to get a grip. Imagine how awful it was to live through WWII, WWI, the blitz in London. Imagine what the Palestinians and Israelis live with every day. Tell 'em to buck up.

And no, 3 days of water won't keep the plane up, Heather, but in the event of power failure from ANY cause it will make your lives easier. That's all we're saying.

There's no way I could store water outside in this weather! It freezes solid in several hours. Therefore, I would have to leave my sealed up saferoom (where, presumably, myself, husband, daughter, 2 dogs at 80 and 120 lb, 3 cats who already hate eachother, and my springtime-nesting frenzied macaw would be amicably sharing space) to trudge out with the water to my horse (who, being the fat mare she is, would NOT fit thru the kitchen door!) and goat?????Don't think so. If the critters go down, I go down with them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Redmare:
    Well isn't it ironic?

After starting this thread, mostly worried about a terrorist attack that probably wouldn't reach me anyway, I watch the news last night where they announce that N. Korea has nuclear bombs that "could potentially" reach the PNW.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think people need to put their "sensationalist news" filters on. North Korea built nukes to PREVENT being attacked. Makes sense in a way, and it's working for them...notice how we're about to declare war on Iraq, where the evidence for WMD is dubious at best, and just tiptoeing around North Korea? You can bet that other small states who are concerned about landing on the "axis of evil" list will be shopping in North Korea and Pakistan for nuclear weapons of their own now. It's pretty standard in foreign policy that these are preventative measures. Look at India and Pakistan, "testing" bombs all over the place but never actually sending them over the border.

Honestly, this thread is the first I've heard of a general panic about some vaguely defined enemy landing here and letting loose some manner of nasty weapons. I just think it can't be coincidental that the senate Enron report just came out, and was described by senators as "eye-popping" and "disturbing," keeping in mind that Ken Lay is Dubya's bestest friend, or so he claimed during the campaign. It doesn't seem like anyone is paying any attention to the urgent issue of corporate accounting and tax reform right now. Handy for the Bush and Cheney family friends, isn't it? Also suspicous timing given the split in the NATO alliance over the Iraq question. Bush needs citizen support for the war now more than ever. He's got to convince us that a decidedly secular Baathist regime has been supporting whacko religious fundamentalists all along.

OK, sorry to get off the horse thing, but the whole timing of the terrorist alert thing is too fishy to be taken seriously.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hobson:
    ...notice how we're about to declare war on Iraq, where the evidence for WMD is dubious at best, and just tiptoeing around North Korea? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, not to get OT but....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Tiptoeing around NK? I think not. I agree with Dennis Miller, who says to NK: "You wanna piece of this? Wait your turn, buddy. Don't worry, we'll turn to you next."

We're ignoring NK because A) there's no oil there, is there? and B)they're a gnat that can be dealt with at any time.

Don't know if that makes you feel better or worse.

Has anyone seen that old movie "The Russian Have Landed"??

Or that new movie "Bowling for Columbine"

What is everyone so afraid of??

Slightly off topic: And who the heck upgrades from a Red Alert to an Orange Alert?? Does that seem backwards to anyone else??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maggymay:
    Slightly off topic: And who the heck upgrades from a Red Alert to an Orange Alert?? Does that seem backwards to anyone else??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!! We're living in a Monty Python sketch!

nonono, maggymay, you have it wrong. Okay, everyone coordinate our terror alert mood rings:

Green - Low - low risk of terrorist activity
    Blue - Guarded - general risk of ta
    Yellow - Elevated - significant rota
    Orange - High - high rota
    Red - Severe - severe rota

Check out this handy guide:

http://www.sanjuanislander.com/count...cy/alert.shtml

Yes, hobson, as the economy goes down, the terror alerts go up.

maggymay, do you mean The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming?

Everybody to get from street!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...I was musing about what kinds of canned goods might be remotely appealing to a persnickety family...I came up with spaghetti and meatballs and refried beans ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be cautious about sealing up the room and then eating refried beans... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Unashamed member of the Arab clique...just settin' on the Group W bench.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

DC's in a vague panic - I can't go anywhere without hearing about it. Gah.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I'm sorry but all this talk about duct tape and plastic sheets to protect you reminds me of Japan's governement after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, when people were told that if they wore a white sheet they'd be safe. People like to feel in control, so I really think that this is said more as a psychological thing.

Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I
    Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

The thing that really scares me about all this is people. Not the terrorists, but US citizens who will be going haywire and insanely hysterical.

The only way something would really affect us out here would be if someone dropped a bomb in our pasture or something. We don't have horses here, just goats, rabbits, and chickens. The chickens are old and gross so they can just stay outside http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif. We have about a dozen goat kids and they're really the best of the herd so we could bring them in the house and bottle feed them. Then I could just carry the rabbit cages into the house. But by the time I could do all that the worst of whatever it was would be over.

If I had a horse right now, I would probably make sure he was in a safe place (where he would be anyway) but I wouldn't risk my life running out in a missle storm to check on him. If something happened, that would be sad but there would still be other horses in the future. Nobody's aiming their missles to wipe out the horse population. Horses don't respond well to terror threats anyway.

If they do anything, they will have one opportunity to hit a crowded area probably somewhere in Downtown USA, that is if they get past the US's defense.

Karina- don't be questioning our auth-or-i-tee! I'm pretty sure that if you duct-taped a plastic bag over your head you'd be completely safe from smallpox, radiation AND high blood pressure http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

In fact I think Dubya should do it immediately, just in case.

I agree with MaggyMay; that does sound a bit backward "red to orange"???

Who knows......

~Darci~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maggymay:
    Has anyone seen that old movie "The Russian Have Landed"??
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Was it "The Russians are Coming - The Russians Are Coming?" Carl Reiner, ...

That's the ONE!

our canadian news showed a feed from the US news where a guy was stapling plastic on the outside of his house(which needed painting) I was like..ahhh hello..it isn't air tight when you put holes in it with the staple gun.

As someone who has stood in a barn during a tornado and watched windows bend in and out in a 15 mintue period, can I just say, now is the time for common sense, which seems to be everyone is not using right now.

Leslie Maurer
    Jump The Moon Sporthorses
    Home of Echo Shea (arab sporthorse RPSI Book I) and Outrageous Fortune(overo Pinto RPSI)
    http://www.jtmsporthorses.com
    Leslie Dobson
    Jump The Moon Sporthorses