The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hobson said:
    "Really, it seems clear to me that the latest "orange alert" is a device to get skeptical americans supporting the illegal "pre-emptive" war with which we're about to proceed."

I totally agree. I think it only went up to "orange" because "red" was becoming boring.

For me, this comes under one of those "I will take care of my family first" clauses for without my well being, my children will suffer. Sealing the horses in the barn etc. isn't on the radar screen....they'll have hay, water and my prayers.

The most immediate problem is the price of gas- it's running $1.60 a gallon plus out here. It is suppose to be because of the problems in South America...anyone have facts on that?? Seems very fishy to me.

SLW
    "It is I."

Gee, don't tell my dad about your 1.60 gas...he'd drive anywhere for a bargain like that!

Our gas has been in the high 1.80's for about 2 years for regular...premium is 2.00+. (we suspect it's GREED, but whoever knows the truth ain't telling.)

MCL
    'r' H/J/HEq

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. O'Connor:
    Gee, don't tell my dad about your 1.60 gas...he'd drive anywhere for a bargain like that!

Our gas has been in the high 1.80's for about 2 years for regular...premium is 2.00+. (we suspect it's GREED, but whoever knows the truth ain't telling.)

MCL
    'r' H/J/HEq<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way- 1.80 a gallon for two years?? Where do you live??

Greed?? Nah!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

SLW
    "It is I."

Oh for the love of....STOP! Is everyone going to lock themselves up in their homes because something bad might happen???? If it does...it does. When your time has come...it's come. It could be tomorrow in a car crash on your way to work, or 60 years from now of old age. Continue living each day to the fullest. By living in fear...the terrorists have won.

"All Hail President Kang!"

..."Don't look at me...I voted for Kodos..."
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

I'm ready for just about anything. I have a plan for the horses and my goats (lock in our new garage with bales of hay and water tank, sealing doors) and I have extra food and water bottles, plus antibiotics, backups of any meds and the normal first aid kit stuff. I figure it's better to be prepared than to be caught off guard, but I have not and will not lock myself in and be a prisoner because of some screwed up a-holes millions of miles away. I only hope that the rest of my fellow Americans have not taken the stance of conspiracy theory and are going to be knowledgeable and able to protect themselves should something happen. The threat is real people, the threat is living amongst us and we must be alert to the dangers to those we love. The best way to fight terrorism is to be watchful and ready for anything. I, for one, am. And I fervently hope that the rest of you will be as well, because the world we are living in right now is a very dangerous one. Anyone who tries to tell you differently is burying thier head in the sand and ignoring a madman.

Because at the point where you can comprehend how incomprehensible it all is, you're about as smart as you need to be. - Trudy The Search For Signs....
    Because at the point where you can comprehend how incomprehensible it all is, you\'re about as smart as you need to be. - Trudy The Search For Signs....

Now I really don't know much about chemical weapons and the like but I can't see how putting up plastic sheeting would help any. If air is still getting in (you're not sealing yourself in a vaccuum), then gasses can still penetrate. Duct tape & plastic sheeting seems like a very time-consuming project for something that won't stop chemicals or radiation.

Save the duct tape for your horses' feet.

If something were to happen, the best bet would be to quickly take a shower. Throw away that clothing. Wash off your cats, dogs & horses. You want to get the stuff off your skin as soon as possible. The first thing decontamination units do is to wash the people off. My best guess is that is the best bet.

I live within 10 miles outside the DC city limits, bordering the Beltway. Dunno what news reports are like in the rest of the United States, but here all talk is of disaster planning & escape routes. (If it came to that, I have nowhere to go & nowhere to take my horse.) But then I grew up in this area, I live in a target zone. I doubt I'd be going anywhere anyway. ;-)

Tara
    Tara & Timberwolf
    Prince George's County, Maryland

Equus magazine has the disaster preparedness article this month. I'll change my original post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jennasis:
    Oh for the love of....STOP! Is everyone going to lock themselves up in their homes because something bad might happen????
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Calm down, Jennasis. The Equus article was prompted by all the fires out West in the recent past. So many people had to evacuate their horses. The cover of Equus even shows a fire in the background.

Have to add, though, that when TMI happened many years ago, my aunt & uncle did evacuate their children and their horses to other parts. They, however, remained. My uncle did develop adult-onset leukemina, btw, which is very interesting as no one ever in his family, anywhere, had leukemia. My father-in-law has it, too, same thing: NO one else has it. Both of these men lived within the 10-mile range of TMI.

I'm with you, Tara. Having the govt. tell us to protect ourselves with plastic wrap & duct tape is hysterical; hysterically funny, that is. It's like the old 'duck & cover' stuff from the 50s. Won't do a thing but is supposed to make us feel like we're doing something helpful.

Here's a nice little article. Doesn't directly address horses, but it does make logical sense. It also describes the capabilities of the various weapons out there - and the very small odds that anything bio/chem will devistate an area like a barn.

Snopes coverage of weapons article

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks anne. I was up late last night and was getting edgey when I posted. Yes, vigilance is ok. Blind panic is not.

I agree that putting plastic sheets over your windows and duct taping is not going to help in case of a real attack (chemical or otherwise). I would suggest stocking up on bottled water and canned/non-perishable items...maybe even a few cans of gasoline (safely stored) since these itmes will become hard to get and expensive very quickly.

Make sure you have enough feed for your horses for several months. I don't think much (if any) of the fighting will take place here in the states...but those people living in well populated target areas like NYC, DC, LA, Atlanta etc should be extra cautious.

I live on Long Island. If the sh*t hit the fan, we are all pretty much trapped here...unless you have a boat.

Seriously, though, we should be prepared for emergencies. Fire, flood, storms can and do happen. FEMA has prepared very good animals in disaster guides. They really are worth having. And May 19 is Animal Disaster
    Preparedness Day!

Check this out. Isn't it great?

http://www.fema.gov/kids/horse_rescue.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jennasis:
    Thanks anne. I was up late last night and was getting edgey when I posted. Yes, vigilance is ok. Blind panic is not.

I agree that putting plastic sheets over your windows and duct taping is not going to help in case of a real attack (chemical or otherwise). I would suggest stocking up on bottled water and canned/non-perishable items...maybe even a few cans of gasoline (safely stored) since these itmes will become hard to get and expensive very quickly.

Make sure you have enough feed for your horses for several months. I don't think much (if any) of the fighting will take place here in the states...but those people living in well populated target areas like NYC, DC, LA, Atlanta etc should be extra cautious.

I live on Long Island. If the sh*t hit the fan, we are all pretty much trapped here...unless you have a boat.

..."Don't look at me...I voted for Kodos..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have to agree with you Jenansis!

I also think the media is really trying to boost they're ratings by putting all this out to the public. Puleeaze, duct tape is going to save you.

My plan is and has been, since the Sun. afternoon I was tacking Mr. SBHs horse as a fighter jet flew over very low (at a strange time of day for manuevers) while Mr. SBH was at work, to simply enjoy the fact that I have horses to ride and love and a great family.

I got on Shadow that day, instead of running for the TV, with the attitude that at least I'd be riding a horse if it was "the time" and promptly forgot about all of it as I rode.

Boat or a walk/swim across the sound at low tide is about our only hope here on LI. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

Does your horse swim? I think mine would http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Does your horse swim? I think mine would http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

..."Don't look at me...I voted for Kodos..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking: Most definitely!! Just hope it can wait until this cold weather breaks a bit!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

I think the best quote I heard this week was from a New Yorker scoffing at the duct tape advice "they might be able to kill me, but they can't scare me!"

And all of the plastic and duct tape in the world wouldn't seal up MY farmhouse!!! (Though, my goat would dearly love to be invited into the kitchen...)

Given that I can't protect all of my pets/livestock, and given that I have my parents and 4 siblings and their families within 20 miles of NYC, another in Boston, and another in Chicago.....I'm saving my duct tape. It's very efficient in removing cat hair from my sweater before I go to work in the morning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LazyTrot:
    "they might be able to kill me, but they can't scare me!"
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the spirit! Great quote.

i dont think being prepared for emergencies is a waste of time. Not saying the duct tape and plastic is a good idea, but being prepared is the wise thing to do. Whether it is terrorist threats or a raging storm, its amazing how the little things can make a difference. A few years back when i still owned the farm we had a terrible ice storm. I had 4 horses and a couple of cows on the farm. The first 24 hours without hydro wasn't to bad, but let me tell you by the time we hit day 5 i was almost in a panic. Things like, stores sold out of candles, not a battery within 2 hours driving available. It was hard to drive and get water but getting enough containers alone to transport that much water was a nightmare.The house was freezing, i had to take the cats to be boarded. I was shocked at how fast stores ran out of supplies, it was just crazy. It lasted 13 days and i hope i never have to go through it again. I guess i kinda feel i am not qualified to give an opinion on whether or not your government is correct in their terrorist views. They have the data, i don't. I do feel that it is my responsibility to make sure i can do all i can to make my family and animal safe, so i do what i can and I hope for the best. Lets hope and pray nothing like 9/11 happens again.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Well, being another who comes from an area where winter has been known to hit hard and long, I also have all of this stuff cached anyway. I just moved it all into one room, along with some cat litter, a cat box and some cat food. I have boarded my horses within the danger range of a nuclear plant for years, and have just come to terms with the fact that there will be nothing I can do to protect them, if anything should happen.

I went out and bought some plastic (it has to be 4 mil or thicker) and a couple of extra rolls of duct tape. I don't expect that it will prove a 100% effective, but, I learned a couple of interesting things on another site. One is that you are safer if you have your protected room on the second floor, because most of these agents are slightly heavier than air and will sink. The other is that the majority of these agents are also fairly large in size, compared to molecules of air. Therefore, while air may get through the plastic and duct tape shield, the foreign materials will have a much harder time.

Panic - nah, just common sense to be as prepared as you can be. All of the extra's I bought cost me under $50, which isn't exactly a fortune. I lived through the cold war, I lived through duck and cover (now there was a stupid procedure), and I'll live through this. But, I'm not going to close my eyes and pretend that a threat doesn't exist, and I'm not going to refuse to take what precautions I reasonably can.

Maybe the precautions I take will be needed, most probably they won't. Maybe they will work, maybe they won't. But, at least I made some some effort to protect myself and those silly little cats of mine.

---------------------------
    This too, shall pass.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

The true conspiracy is that Osama and Sadaam own duct tape and plastic sheeting factories. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

I'm with Jennasis. I can't get worked up over all this. By the time I duct taped all the necessary openings, I'd be dead. If the gases didn't kill me, being in a locked room for three days with my husband, two teenagers, a 9yr old and two 125lb dogs would. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

The view from my house is towards downtown NYC. I'm reminded of 9/11 everyday. I have a naval weapons stations 15 minutes from my house. I'm aware of what's going on around me, but I refuse to get into a panic. Life goes on........Thank God!

Barbara

"May the happiest days of your past be the saddest days of your future."
    \"May the happiest days of your past be the saddest days of your future.\"