The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

With all the talk of being prepared to seal yourself in your house for at least
    3 days if (God Forbid) there is a terrorist strike using chemical, biological or
    radiological weapons. What are your plans for your horses care?

I figure if something happened near me it would most likely be in Seattle, so depending
    On wind direction and speed I should have at least 40 minutes to do whatever. Since it’s
    impossible to seal the barn I guess I would leave the horses in their paddocks with a bail
    of hay and full tanks of water. Not much protection from whatever might be used but I don’t
    know what more I could do.

Anyone else made plans, don’t like to think about it but in these times I guess we have to.

I'll get you my pretty....and your little dog too...ehheheheheheh
    \"given the choice of a majestic horse and a guy who\'s only part of a horse, I\'ll take the horse any day\"
    Budweiser commercial

With all the talk of being prepared to seal yourself in your house for at least
    3 days if (God Forbid) there is a terrorist strike using chemical, biological or
    radiological weapons. What are your plans for your horses care?

I figure if something happened near me it would most likely be in Seattle, so depending
    On wind direction and speed I should have at least 40 minutes to do whatever. Since it’s
    impossible to seal the barn I guess I would leave the horses in their paddocks with a bail
    of hay and full tanks of water. Not much protection from whatever might be used but I don’t
    know what more I could do.

Anyone else made plans, don’t like to think about it but in these times I guess we have to.

I'll get you my pretty....and your little dog too...ehheheheheheh
    \"given the choice of a majestic horse and a guy who\'s only part of a horse, I\'ll take the horse any day\"
    Budweiser commercial

The most recent issue of Equus (February 2003) has an article on this subject with a list of what you should have ready to go. It was pretty good.

[This message was edited by Anne FS on Feb. 13, 2003 at 10:08 AM.]

Duct Tape Defense

The truly paranoid should dig up granddad's gas mask.

Equine Gas Masks

Perhaps you could have some made in your stable colours?

Maybe the best defense is to disuade Dubya from his International Lynch Mob ambitions.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

I was thinking the same thing. I could seal my dog and cats into my apartment, but what about my horse?! Poor thing.

And here I was thinking it was strange that this was one of the biggest concerns weighing on my mind - glad to see others are thinking about the same thing.

Yep, I'm more worried about my horse then I am about myself!!

I told my SO that I was fully prepared to ride across the country on my horse during the apocalypse.

I was thinking maybe I should hang a roll of duct tape on my mare's door to protect her. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I've thought about this, too. But more along the lines of what about food and water for them in case of a serious national emergency. I board my horses, so can't really stash extra hay and water for my guys. I'm really careful now to always keep my cars' tanks at least half full, so I could get to the barn. And I do have 200 gallons of water stored at home, so they'd have a few days water. But what about the other horses? It's scary to think about it.

I am prepared to seal up her stall. It is a brick building with concrete floor. Has two windows, but the are like normal house windows, and could easily be taped up. Her door would be a bit more of a challenge, but not too bad. If there was no time, and I truly believed there was little or no hope for her outside, she WOULD be in the house with my family! I mean, the messed up floors would be the least of our worries in the aftermath. Think about that...

AQHA Clique!

It's crazy, but this is my MAJOR worry too. My plan, if something should happen, is to quickly hitch up the trailer, pack up husband & dog, and drive all four of us to my parent's place in the country.

But if we couldn't get out of here, my husband and I plan to have our emergency meeting place be the barn. Honestly though, I don't think duct tape could seal the horses (or any of us, for that matter in the event of something like a dirty bomb).

I'm scared and angry that we all have to even think about this. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif On the other hand, my Mom lived in No. Va. all through the nuclear threat era, and said there was a very similar vibe of terror in the air -- I think we all have to try to be philosophical about this and realize that when it's our time (and our horses')there's not much we can do. We can't succumb to fear -- that's what they want.
    Second Fiddle Farm

I plan on eating my horse when I run out of canned goods.

I do not keep her so fat for nothing.

*J*
    Formerly "The Fjord Jockey"
    **Founder of the Jock Stalk Clique**...and so far, no one has joined... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    -The Girl With Endoscope Eyes

I found that you could buy very large breathable bags from 3M. They are supposed to be like a gore-tex type of material that is porous from the inside but blocks any penetration from the outside. They say you can tranquilize a large animal and then seal them in the bag. With their reduced respiration rate they can stay in there for quite a while. Of course, you can't keep them tranqed from one shot for three days but its at least a start.

"I thought I was dead once but it turns out, I was only in Nebraska."

Big bags? I have visions of racehorses with flappy bag-things on them. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

At least they'd be running so fast they could probably escape any danger http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

*J*
    **Founder of the Jock Stalk Clique**...and so far, no one has joined... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

There was an article in the Toronto Star last week about bags that you put over your cat or dog's crate. I wonder if something like that could be made to go over a stall (like the ones they use on planes.). It's probably totally impractical, seeing how much waste a horse produces and how much they need to eat and drink. Hay cubes take up less space than a bale though, and I suppose though, that a hungery horse after three days is better than a dead horse. You'd just have to figure out a way to keep a porky pony from eating all his rations at once!

Also, would an arena be easier to seal than a stable (ours might be...)? You could leave a herd of horses in an arena with a round bale and a few tanks of water. Atleast they'd have room to move and poop.

Like someone else said, it's scary that we even have to think like this. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping -Julius Hare

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think we all have to try to be philosophical about this and realize that when it's our time (and our horses')there's not much we can do. We can't succumb to fear -- that's what they want.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easier said than done, isn't it?

Our stable manager is saying that if it gets really crufty she is going to separate the horses, namely take them out of their stalls and ground tie them or whatever at least 50 yards apart so they won't all be in the kill radius of a single missle. But we are worried about missle attack, the US seems to be more concerned with sabatoge. Putting your eggs into separate baskets might still be a good idea, depending on your circumstances.

Sucks, don't it?

--s.
    Under carefully controlled conditions of breeding, training, and care, a horse will do whatever it damn well pleases.

Wait, aren't WE the ones massing thousands of troops around Iraq, not the other way around? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

Really, it seems clear to me that the latest "orange alert" is a device to get skeptical americans supporting the illegal "pre-emptive" war with which we're about to proceed. Hmmm....unless our Saudi allies will take the opportunity of our distraction with Iraq to have their citizens drive planes into our buildings again. But I digress!

Preparedness for flooding and fire, as maggymay suggested, seems much more fruitful and rational.

They aren't massing troups here, but they certainly are preparing in numerous other ways, aren't they?

*J*

Hobson, You may be right about the motivation for the increased alert level. Then again maybe not. I think the bottom line is that the threat of another attack has been quite real since the first in 2001, and that it is more a matter of "when" than "if." And I just can't shake that sad feeling that the horses are completely unknowing and defenseless. If I have to barricade myself into a room in my apartment for three days or a week, I will be going beserk about my horse's welfare - and of course that of my family and friends - for the entire time. No doubt about it.

Hmm. starlady, I was puzzled about the missile thing till I noticed your location...not so "out there" after all...

We here in the land of the northeaster/and sometimes hurricaines are in the habit of [trying] to keep all the things that are listed stocked anyway...the main thing is water, but I admit that I'm perplexed as to how to store the quantity we need for the barn at this time of year...

As for batteries...we try, but I have to admit that a substantial number of them seem to get pilfered for use in the boom-boxes/games/flashlights (where those end up is another story)...

On a lighter note...I was musing about what kinds of canned goods might be remotely appealing to a persnickety family...I came up with spaghetti and meatballs and refried beans to eat on vacuum packed tortillas...I don't suppose that it would be a remote possibility that anyone would eat an actual can of vegetables...better to go with vitamin tablets...and of course, there's always.....

SPAM....

http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif

MCL
    'r' H/J/HEq