The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I bring this up because tonite I was reading the paper and it said something about a Poltroon. OK, I knew the event horse, and know there is a poster here of the same name, so I have consulted the dictionary....

Poltroon-"a spiritless coward"

I thought that was a rather interesting name to name an advanced event horse http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif, so then it made me wonder about other names.

My Horse's name is "Will-O-The-Wisp".....which is defined by Webster as "A delusive goal". Interesting, eh?? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I actually named him that because his name came to me as "wisp" for the little white star he has, and I didn't want to change it much. A Will O the Wisp is also a fairy like creature who lives in bogs and tends to lure and lead people astray (usually into trouble.) I thought that was a fairly brilliant definition of a horse, so there you are.

The term "the willies" or to get "the willies" from something that scares you is from the WOTW thing--Wilis were an integral part of the ballet "Giselle" which we just saw too. They are etherial little nymphs which were leading the dancers astray.

So, is there a "definition" to your horse's name? (and why would you name and event horse Poltroon if it mean "cowardly?".....rather funny in a way isn't it?

Elippses Users Clique........
    Co-Founder Occularly Challenged Equine Support Group
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

I bring this up because tonite I was reading the paper and it said something about a Poltroon. OK, I knew the event horse, and know there is a poster here of the same name, so I have consulted the dictionary....

Poltroon-"a spiritless coward"

I thought that was a rather interesting name to name an advanced event horse http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif, so then it made me wonder about other names.

My Horse's name is "Will-O-The-Wisp".....which is defined by Webster as "A delusive goal". Interesting, eh?? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I actually named him that because his name came to me as "wisp" for the little white star he has, and I didn't want to change it much. A Will O the Wisp is also a fairy like creature who lives in bogs and tends to lure and lead people astray (usually into trouble.) I thought that was a fairly brilliant definition of a horse, so there you are.

The term "the willies" or to get "the willies" from something that scares you is from the WOTW thing--Wilis were an integral part of the ballet "Giselle" which we just saw too. They are etherial little nymphs which were leading the dancers astray.

So, is there a "definition" to your horse's name? (and why would you name and event horse Poltroon if it mean "cowardly?".....rather funny in a way isn't it?

TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Good topic LBH! I've always wondered since I thought it would be cute to name a big grey 'Sticks and Stones' but then when someone brought it to my attention that it might be tempting fate to name a horse something that might 'break my bones' http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

My little girl's show name is going to be C'est La Vie - life goes on - which suits the situation to a T since I thought the world was ending when I stopped riding Bentley.....
    Her registered name is Celeste, which just doesn't suit her at all, so she goes by the name Visa around the barn (yup, three guesses why she's called that! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif)

Alixe

A delta wave is an uncommon finding on an EKG which suggests an electrical abnormality in the heart. Pretty dull, huh? However, when I was training we had a very silly "inside joke" about this and I always liked the sound of it anyhow. It certainly suited Kelly better than her registered name: Shiney Belle! (ugh, they could've at least spelled SHINY correctly!) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

The "Seelie Court" (Bonnie's registered name) is a name for the realm of good fairies...another mythical horse name, like Will-O-The-Wisp! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif My nickname growing up was "Elf" so I've always liked names of that sort.

Gwen is just short for Guinevere...she's from the "G" line of Oldenburgs, so there you have it...I've always thought the "real" Guinevere was a selfish ho, but I don't hold it against my Gwennie! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
    Kelly
    Bonnie
    Gwen
    Click here before you buy.

Huh, that's kinda cool, I wish my horse had a neat meaning to her name but not really... she's swedish and so the first part of her registered name is

Mahlun - which is Mary in Swedish

and then the second part is the name of the farm where she was bred

Fridhem - said Freedom

You should hear all of the weird ways they pronounce it at horse shows...

http://members.shaw.ca/sgjosund/index.htm

This is a cool topic, and I was just talking about this at work today...

My horse's pedigree name is O Bay B. The folks who owned him before me gave him the barn name "Austin" as in Austin Powers. Boy does it fit him. There's a group at my barn who want to change his name to Elvis 'cause he thinks he's the king!

Ironically, when I started my so-called "mid-life crisis" that ended in my getting back into horses and ultimately buying a horse, the first thing I did was spend a week at a spa to "self-reflect" and the spa I chose was Lake Austin Spa! I guess it was meant to be. (Good thing, because when I first tried him out and asked him to walk he wouldn't budge *an inch* until his trainer loaned me some dressage spurs. Forward was not part of his vocabulary!)

So, he kept his name for multiple reaons! But, he is now shown under Creekside Painted Me. Since my trainer has done amazing work with him I give credit to my barn and he seems more like a "Painted Me" than "O Bay B".

My mare's name is Adelita....

Adelita was a legendary Mexican Revolutionary female warrior, who led many a battle....

Here's a name blurb from a neat site:

"The name of Adelita gives you a clever, quick, analytical mind, but you suffer with a great deal of self-consciousness, lack of confidence, and much aloneness because of misunderstandings. Your idealistic and sensitive nature gives you a deep appreciation for the finer things of life and a strong desire to be of service to humanity. There are times when you experience inner turbulence at your inability to say what you mean. It is far easier for you to express your deeper thoughts and feelings through writing than verbally. You find pleasure in literature, in poetry, and in your ideals and will turn to them when you feel you have been misunderstood. You are deeply moved by the beauties of life, especially nature. Because your feelings run deep, you must guard against the ups and downs, being very inspired one minute, then moody, reserved, and depressed the next. Your reactions to people vary according to how you feel. You tend to be secretive and noncommittal about private matters, yet at times you will talk effusively in order to hide your self-consciousness or to lead others away from personal subjects. You are inspired by encouragement from others, yet suspicious of their intent. You crave affection but seldom find anyone who understands your nature. Physical weaknesses would show in your heart, lungs, or bronchial organs. "

Kinda fun to look up your own name, too....

http://www.kabalarians.com/index.cfm...neAnalysis.cfm

Click on Free Name Analysis, (on the left) then Browse by Alpha.

>^.,.^<
    ~~Linda

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" - Antoine de Saint Exupery
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

Jake started out as Jacob Wellington (named by the people who rescued him) because of his "W" brand.

Since I've owned him (and I got him when I was 15.. so bear in mind I changed his name once every week) he has been named "Coppertone Jake", "October Rust", and now his show name has finally settled upon
    "Musique Ardente" which is french for "Fiery Music", because of the fact that he is a fire red sorrel. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    He also gets called "Jakie-poo", "Jake'ums", "Elephant", "Fat Lout", "Dammit Jake", "Get the hell off'a'me", or "My-Cowboy-Catcher". I swear.. the horse attracts men like nobody's business.... I've had men ride up to me at the rodeo (the Search and Rescue Unit I ride with participate in the grand entry) and offer me $15,000 on the spot for him. And they were serious.
    :-D
    Of course, Jake means more to me then any amount of money in the world.

________
    Sarah

"Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping."~ Julius Hare
    ________
    Sarah
    formerly known as Alohamora
    \"Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one\'s horse as he is leaping.\"~ Julius Hare

Ummm....I don't think there's much of a story to Montana's name. His registered name is Montanas Shadow. His sire's name was Shires Shadowfax, so that's probably where the "shadow" part comes in, but his dam's name was Sequicula, so I have NO idea where the "montana" part came from...but somehow it fits him.

"This day, like every other day, is a very good day, if we but know what to do with it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeniorPic_5.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	8904  

I love my OTTBs registered name because it's unique so I kept it. It's Seven Roentgens and pronounced Seven RENK-ens. Roentgens are named for the German scientist, W. Roentgen and is the name for units of radiation (usually expressed with a unit of time -- i.e., "seven roentgens per hour"). Seven's name is a combination from his parents -- he's by Geiger Counter and out of Seven Valleys. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

As you might guess, Seven Roentgens is often mis-pronounced (except by science folks http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif ) but at least it's unique enough that I probably won't find another.

editted to add pic of my cutie patootie

[This message was edited by Fetlocks on Mar. 14, 2003 at 10:11 PM.]
    Attached Images Attached Images

im not sure...simon is just, well, simon http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

*Spring Break*
    *Simon*
    *Homie S*

My horse's registered name is Eblis. I just looked it up and wish I hadn't! It means principle evil spirt or the devil in Islamic mythology. What a name to give a TB! Poor horse being cursed like that...thank goodness that isn't it anymore. His name (show, barn, everything) is just Riley. And he is a Riley through and through and I love him very much. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

TS Clique*Chestnut Horse Clique*GPA Clique*

My pony's name is Neverland because her dam's name is Pan's Wendy. Her breeder uses a theme to name each mare's foals, so Pan's Wendy's babies were all to get Peter Pan names...hence Neverland. I think it's cute for a pony, plus since I'm an adult and she's a pony, it works well to...'cause I'll never grow up and off my ponies.
    It also fits because her sire's sire is named Packwood Peter Pan.
    We call her "Never" at home, pretty much because Neverland is a mouthful to say all of the time.

It freaks me out some that my pony shares her name with Michael Jackson's home....but she deffinately wasn't named after him so it's okay.

No hidden meanings, but they all got their names for a reason.

Arrive Alive- I think that one is self explainatory. I love him, but he's a freak.

Spellbound- barn name is Jezebel, and she's a real dark brown with no markings, so we stuck with the witchcraft theme (it *ahem* fits at times).

Kiss Me I'm Irish- she was born on St Patricks Day, and has the cutest white fuzz on her lips, like lipstick.

-Amanda

War is not the answer
    www.risingstarfarm.net

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fetlocks:
    I love my OTTBs registered name because it's unique so I kept it. It's Seven Roentgens and pronounced Seven RENK-ens. Roentgens are named for the German scientist, W. Roentgen and is the name for units of radiation (usually expressed with a unit of time -- i.e., "seven roentgens per hour"). Seven's name is a combination from his parents -- he's by Geiger Counter and out of Seven Valleys. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

As you might guess, Seven Roentgens is often mis-pronounced (except by science folks http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif ) but at least it's unique enough that I probably won't find another.

_ QUOTE]

Oh, I remember that vaguely from 7th grade science! I love how they come up with something totally cool from the sire or dam's name (ie the geiger counter link).....that's so fun!

TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Diamond Lil is lilly's show name! She is named after a Saloon Girl in the old westerns. When I got her her name was Spittin' Nails but that does not suit her feminine nature. her other names dont translate... they r exactly how they sound (IE: Fat Mare, Muley)

Whoever said Money couldn't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lilblackhorse:

Oh, I remember that vaguely from 7th grade science! I love how they come up with something totally cool from the sire or dam's name (ie the geiger counter link).....that's so fun!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, LBH...I think it was a moment of genius in TB naming history!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

My mares name is Colours. It fits her pretty well because she's a bay & white TB/paint cross. Her show name is 'Colourful Image' (a friend thought of it). I had thought of 'Flying Colours' but that's too common. I also like 'True Colours'!

I would really love to use 'Order and Chaos' as her show name. It would be perfect because she can be so laid back/calm on some days, and totally crazy on other days!
    Member - "OMGiH I LOFF my Mares" Clique!

Spanish, past participle of acclaimed, my horse's name is Aclamado. It comes from his registered name and I like it enough to keep it!

One of the more interesting names I've come across was a horse in the grand prix on Sunday: Isaiah 65. My mom looked it up in the bible and the gist of the passage is 'necessity for punishment'. I wasn't sure if I should feel sorry for the horse or if he was really that naughty!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing so grand as to fly on the back of a horse!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

~Santa Barbara County~ CA Clique, Vertically Gifted Clique & AAAA Clique

I named Chase after my favorite musicians grandfather. Ben Harper grew up in his grandfathers music store/hands-on museum. His grandfathers name is Charles Chase and he is so old and beautiful he looks like Father Time with a long white beard and a wondeful heart. He really seems like one of those amazing people that you have to meet at least once in your lifetime.

Chases old barn name was Carlos which means Charles in Spanish so I changed it over to Chase to honor a great man with what I think of as a great horse.

I was actually able to tell Ben Harper that I named my horse after his grandfather when I met him. He was pretty impressed at the time.

I am still, after more than 2 years, looking for a show name.