The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

http://professionalauction.com/02liberty.htm

The Estate of
    Marsyl S. Hammond

All horses & equipment sell Absolute,
    without reserve to the highest bidder.

Saturday, October 19, 2002

• Barns Open at 12 noon
    • Horses available for inspection

Sunday, October 20, 2002
    •10:00 A.M.Sale Office Opens
    •1:00 PM -AUCTION
    •Equipment sells immediately following horses

There are 49 horses to be sold.

I have no idea if the killers will be there.

MODERATORS: can this possibly be put in other forums? I don't want to multiple post with out permission. Please copy at will.

"Its not the years, its the mileage." -Indiana Jones
    **Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.**

http://professionalauction.com/02liberty.htm

The Estate of
    Marsyl S. Hammond

All horses & equipment sell Absolute,
    without reserve to the highest bidder.

Saturday, October 19, 2002

• Barns Open at 12 noon
    • Horses available for inspection

Sunday, October 20, 2002
    •10:00 A.M.Sale Office Opens
    •1:00 PM -AUCTION
    •Equipment sells immediately following horses

There are 49 horses to be sold.

I have no idea if the killers will be there.

MODERATORS: can this possibly be put in other forums? I don't want to multiple post with out permission. Please copy at will.

It's dealers that *sell* to killers who will be there. Don't doubt it for a minute. The feedlot auction here in GA gets most of its horses from NC, SC and VA. They are purchased there by dealers who bring them here to sell.

Member: TB Clique, Georgia Clique, Rust TS Clique, Willem FC, DIY Clique, Ebayers Anonymous Clique, Reads Forums At Work Clique, Lame/Sick/Injured Horse Clique
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Yowza...what a list of horses!

Ok, I might have to go. My husband will divorce me if I buy another horse......

Maybe I can resell it in spring????

Of course, I'd only buy the ultra cheaps, mostly to outbid the dealers. It would also have to be conformationally ok. I'd have to resell it. Cannot keep a 5th horse indefinitely. But, I can keep one for a while.

Mel

YES! Resell it in the spring! I bet you can pick something up extremely cheap.

Yea Mel!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I wish I could help one... or all of them...

Sarah

"Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping."~ Julius Hare
    ________
    Sarah
    formerly known as Alohamora
    \"Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one\'s horse as he is leaping.\"~ Julius Hare

One of the mares for sale (You Oughta Know) is by Deputed Testamony. Linkage, a stallion who, if I'm reading this right, was second in the Preakness is also on the sale list.

HN73, did you already post this on the Racing forum? Might be worth it.

Member: TB Clique, Georgia Clique, Rust TS Clique, Willem FC, DIY Clique, Ebayers Anonymous Clique, Reads Forums At Work Clique, Lame/Sick/Injured Horse Clique
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Several of the horses are by Winged Universe - he has Turn To, Princequillo, Jet Pilot, War Admiral, Bold Ruler, Nasrullah, and War Relic in his pedigree. The stallion Linkage, and a few mares in foal to him, are offered. He has War Admiral, Ribot, Turn To, Tourbillon, ManOWar and Bulldog in his pedigree. I have a granddaughter or great granddaughter of Linkage in my barn! The 87 gelding - that is the one I hope someone gets! Hopefully stallions, yearlings, mares in foal, etc. wouldn't go to the killers - but an 87 retired gelding? Somebody nearby go get that boy!

So, what's a Chenin Blanc yearling likely to go for????? How tempting!

Look at Hip #3, Envolee.

Does anyone think she is likely to get a good home? Looks like she's had ONE successful pregnancy. One year w/ twins, the rest, empty.

She is an '85 broodmare, won next to nothing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is this already posted on Racing?

HN73, did you already post this on the Racing forum? Might be worth it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was waiting for the go ahead from moderators, but your suggestion is good enough for me!

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Marsyl Stokes Hammond

Thoroughbred breeder Marsyl Stokes Hammond died peacefully in her sleep at her home, Liberty Hall, in Culpeper County, Va., on May 30. She was 82.

Prior to moving to Culpeper County, Mrs. Hammond lived for 20 years at Foxhill Stud near Middleburg, Va., where she bred horses for flat racing and steeplechasing. She owned such notable mares as Boudella, Orabella and In-Command, and she bred horses both in England and the United States.

Mrs. Hammond is survived by son Robert S. Montgomerie-Charrington and stepson Ogden H. Hammond II; two grandsons; and one great-grandson. Husbands R.V.C. Montgomerie-Charrington and Ogden Hammond preceded her in death.

Contributions in her memory may be made to the Culpeper County Humane Society, 10144 James Monroe Hwy., Culpeper, VA 22701 or to the Fauquier County SPCA, P.O. Box 733, Warrenton, VA 20188.

"Life ain't certain...ride your best horse first." Unknown

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Not to speak ill of the dead or to criticise when we don't know the whole story. But I wish Mrs. Hammond had provided better for her horses in her will, especially the retired geldings. Seems like a good reminder to sound out family members on their plans for your animals in the event of your death, or to make other arrangements for them. Maybe the horses are being sold to cover expenses of the estate, but I'm sure a good lawyer could have helped her work something else out for the animals, especially those without any real value like the retired geldings.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Never mind provisions in the will...

Did you check out the breeding on those horses? There are a lot of nice stallions out there, and it doesn't look like the farm made an effort to find any of them (with the exception of one non-running daughter of Strawberry Road). Breeding a farm full of babies (and subsequent broodmares) by a stallion whose claim to fame is winning $59K and siring 14 winners in what must have been almost 20 years at stud is pretty much the definition of irresponsible breeding.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

This is very sad.

Clearly, Mrs. Hammond provided for the retirement of her horses as long as she lived. It is very sad situation.

C. Boylen, you are right to name this a wake-up call. I suppose it is hard to think beyond the boundaries of our own existence.

"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?"
    \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Complete Dispersal of Liberty Hall Stables

Sunday, October 20, 2002
    Rixeyville, Virginia

Hip # 1 - Tadore - 95 dk.b./brn.m. (Tahoe (Fr) x Dore) 26-2-2-4, $16,110.

Hip # 2 - Unnamed - 01 gr.m. (Chenin Blanc x Dore)

Hip # 3 - Envolee - 85 dk.b./brn.m. (Tahoe (Fr) x Energetic (Gb)) 10-0-0-1, $338.

Hip # 4 - Push-Up - 87 ch.g. (Salem x Energetic (Gb)) 41-8-5-7, $35,141.

Hip # 5 - Winged Energy - 97 ch.m. (Winged Universe x Energetic (Gb))

Hip # 6 - Run Son - 99 b.m. (Winged Universe x Figure d'Or) Unraced.

Hip # 7 - Unnamed - 01 b.s. (Winged Universe x Figure d'Or)

Hip # 8 - Unnamed - 02 m. (Winged Universe x Liberty's Newport)

Hip # 9 - Boudella - 99 dkb./brn.m. (Winged Universe x Liberty's Prospect)

Hip # 10 - Unnamed - 01 dk.b./brn.m. (Winged Universe x Liberty's Prospect)

Hip # 11 - You Oughta Know - 96 b.m. (Deputed Testamony x McCann Girl) 23-5-2-5, $29,191.

Hip # 12 - Dore - 88 dk.b./brn.m. (Winged Universe x Mine d'Or (Gb)) 30-6-3-2, $24,052. Bred to LINKAGE.

Hip # 13 - Figure d'Or - 91 dk.b./brn.m. (Top Figure (Arg) x Mine d'Or (Gb)) 9-1-0-0, $5,015.

Hip # 14 - Coeur De Bronze - 88 ch.g. (Winged Universe x Misty Bronze)

Hip # 15 - Viva Viva - 90 ch.m. (Top Figure (Arg) x Misty Bronze) Bred to LINKAGE

Hip # 16 - Hot Spark - 87 dk.b./brn.m. (Tahoe (Fr) x Playing With Fire) 7-0-0-1, $110.

Hip # 17 - Top Figure (Arg) - 78 ch.s. (Atlas (Arg) x Snow Figure (Arg)) 76-9-3-9, $27,392.

Hip # 18 - Strawberry Streak - 92 b.m. (Strawberry Road (Aust) x Strait Streak) 5-1-0-0, $4,817. Bred to LINKAGE

Hip # 19 - Unnamed - 01 dk.b./brn.s. (Chenin Blanc x Strawberry Streak)

Hip # 20 - Unnamed- 01 dk.b./brn.s. (Linkage x Tadore)

Hip # 21 - Linkage - 79 b.s. (Hoist The Flag x Unity Hall) 18 - 11 (3) - 3 (2) - 1 (1), $410,013. Blue Grass S. (G1), Lecomte H., Black Gold H.; 2nd Preakness S. (G1), Louisiana Derby (G2); 3rd Monmouth H. (G1). Sire of 17 crops, 1 Champion, 2 graded blacktype winners, 9 blacktype winners, 19 blacktype placers, 239 starters, 186 winners earning $8,779,119 ($240,385 current year earnings)

Hip # 22 - Viego's Liberty - 96 dk.b./brn.m. (Winged Universe x Viego) 23-1-3-5, $10,298.

Hip # 23 - Liberty's Newport - 97 b.m. (Gilded Age x Viva Viva) 15-0-3-2, $9,775.

Hip # 24 - Unnamed - 02 m. (Tahoe (Fr) x Winged Amore)

Hip # 25 - Unnamed - 02 s. (Cefis x You Oughta Know)

Hip # 26 - Amonia - 90 dkb./brn.m. (Tahoe (Fr) x Amal) 11-1-0-1, $2,788. Bred to LINKAGE.

Hip # 27 - Croyable - 91 b.m. (Land Of Believe x Amal) 16-1-1-3, $10,409.

Hip # 28 - Unnamed - 00 b.m. (Gorky Park x Amal)

Hip # 29 - Winged Amonia - 97 dk.b./brn.m. (Winged Universe x Amonia) 25-5-1-2, $36,359.

Hip # 30 - Liberty's Amonia - 99 dk.b./brn.m. (Winged Universe x Amonia)

Hip # 31 - Unnamed - 01 b.m. (Winged Universe x Amonia)

Hip # 32 - Proudest Jenny - 85 dk.b./brn.m. (Proudest Roman x Aunt Jenny) 111-13-13-16, $56,242. Bred to LINKAGE.

Hip # 33 - Secure - 91 dk.b./brn.m. (Winged Universe x Avant Tout (Gb)) Bred to TAHOE.

Hip # 34 - Liberty's Prospect - 93 dk.b./brn.m. (Allen's Prospect x Avant Tout (Gb)) 19-4-3-1, $22,364.

Hip # 35 - Unnamed - 01 b.s. (Winged Universe x Avant Tout (Gb))

Hip # 36 - Avant Tout (Gb) - 82 dkb./brn.m. (Balboa (Ire) x Boudella (Gb)) 22-1-4-2, $11,078. Bred to LINKAGE.

Hip # 37 - March Past - 99 ch.g. (Winged Universe x Cafine)

Hip # 38 - Unnamed - 02 s. (Winged Universe x Cafine)

Hip # 39 - Viego - 82 ch.m. (Tatoi x Char-Lotta (Gb)) 25-2-1-2, $9,856.

Hip # 40 - Amal - 84 dkb./brn.m. (Turn To Mars x Char-Lotta (Gb)) 9-0-0-1, $498.

Hip # 41 - Charger - 85 b.m. (Salem x Char-Lotta (GB)) 23-4-0-3, $11,069.

Hip # 42 - Carina Mine - 86 b.m. (Salem x Char-Lotta (Gb)) 15-1-1-1, $3,838. Bred to LINKAGE.

Hip # 43 - Bright Red - 88 ch.g. (Winged Universe x Char-Lotta (Gb)) 62-10-10-10 in 62 starts, $37,629.

Hip # 44 - Unnamed - 00 b.g. (Winged Universe x Char-Lotta (Gb))

Hip # 45 - Unnamed - 00 b.g. (Winged Universe x Charger)

Hip # 46 - Winged Rose - 95 ch.m. (Winged Universe x Chinguacousy Rose) 16-2-3-4, $10,363.

Hip # 47 - Contop - 94 ch.m. (Top Figure (Arg) x Con Amore) 21-1-1-3, $7,893.

Hip # 48 - Winged Amore - 96 b.m. (Winged Universe x Con Amore) 9-1-2-1, $10,737.

Hip # 49 - Unnamed - 02 s. (Winged Universe x Con Top)
    EDDIE WOULD GO

(and learned how to spell Testimony "Testamony" at the same time)

Deputed Testamony is Reputed Testamonys sire, and also this mares. She seems to have a lot of Chilean and Argentinian blood on the bottom and doens't appear to have any progeny registered yet. If I was closer I'd at least go and take a look and see what she goes for!

Here's her link: You Ought Know Del Mar pedigree

Linkage stood for several years at Rockburn/Meadowville in Marshall. What is going to happen to an aged, formerly useful stallion of fabulous breeding?

Those mares have excellent bloodlines as well.

I am calling the people who owned Maddie's sire to let them know about this sale. They are already horse poor but care for their animals greatly. Perhaps they and others like them can pass the word.

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Was Winged Universe their stallion?