The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default increase water consumption on MSM?

Since I started my horse on MSM, I've noticed an increase in water intake. He used to only drink 2/3 of a 5 gal bucket at night and now he drinks almost all of it. Today he almost was out of water by 2:30pm and I had filled up the bucket at 7:00am. And when I refilled it at 2:30 he went right for it.

Has anyone noticed the same thing when starting their horse on MSM?

I'm going to be calling the vet tomorrow first thing. I thought I was imagining it which is why I hadn't called the vet sooner--but I just got my horse home so I can monitor him much more closely (he was being boarded) and now I see that I was not imagining it. He's only 11 years old (just turned) so I'm hoping it's nothing serious.
    Last edited by Shiaway; Jan. 13, 2010 at 10:15 PM.

My mare's been on and off MSM a few times (now on it until Spring at least, I may just keep her on it indefinitely). I never noticed an increase in water consumption.

Is anything else in the horse's diet changed? Different hay, more or less turnout on grass, different grain, etc?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Not really, not when I first noticed him drinking more.

If you are in an area where it is cold and dry, the horses are going to consume more water to stay hydrated. I have 2 horses on MSM and have no differences in their water intake because of this. The cold weather, however, makes them drink more.

But he's been through many winters up here. This one hasn't been much different than the rest. I'm going to stop the MSM and see if he goes back to "normal". If not, I'll have to have the vet out for tests and stuff. *crossing my fingers it's just the MSM* He doesn't really need the MSM, it was just a preventative/help since he works hard and is 11 years old.

How much water is he consuming total in a day? It doesn't sound like he is drinking an inordinate amount of water to me... How much has his water consumption increased?

Well he used to drink maybe little more than half a bucket at night but now he's up to almost all of the bucket at night. It's not that this is a strange amount but just that it's not typical for him. And then he seems to be thirsty a lot--like I come back from a short ride (just walking) and he immediately goes for the water.