The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need Diesel Truck Help Near Poughkeepsie, NY

So F-350 diesel breaks down on the NY Thruway (thank you again, US Rider - my daughter was towing the trailer). It went to a Ford dealer in Poughkeepsie (Miracle Ford). It would seem that when the fuel injector self-destructed, it spewed metal into the engine causing some damage. Likelihood is that we will need to replace the engine. The dealer wants $15K (gulp) to do it - anyone know of a competent diesel mechanic in that area who could find a used engine for us and install it? Any help is appreciated. I feel sick thinking about what else this money could buy...

Uh - cheaper to buy a new used truck!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

oh that sux!!!! thank goodness she's ok. i know there is a diesel specialty guy in ct--but that's all i know. wish i could be of more help. maybe find a diesel mechanic referral at a truck stop?

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Join these Forums and ask there. It may be cheaper to just rebuild the engine that's in the truck. It may have scored the cylinder and it just need a new sleeve and rings.

But someone here will know where the best help is.
    http://www.thedieselstop.com/

You could try McLean Ford in Millerton NY, or Dutchess Country Diesels also in Millerton. Millerton is an hour from Poughkeepsie. McLean's number is (518) 789-4477. Dutchess Country Diesel is (518)789-3090. I bought my used F-350 from McLean, and Dutchess Country Diesels worked on it for me. My regular mechanic, Mike Lyman at the Millerton Service Center ( (518)789-3462 also worked on it, and in fact just sold it for me this week! I highly recommend Mike to do a good repair while also keeping budget in mind. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to use my real name with him. Good luck!

Also ask at www.ford-trucks.com. I bet they can hook you up.

Don't know what year ur truck is and milage on it but it could be cheaper to buy a new used diesel truck. I had a 95 f350 powerstroke that started to go and it would have cost me more to fix then get another truck. I got a '03 f350 powerstroke 6 mons ago for under $12,000. its the bottom model but it will pull anything. You should look around for some used trucks you never know what you will find just make sure its a diesel.
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne