The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dutchrules Guest

Smile What do you get for full training price?

I'm in the Los Angeles area. What do you get when your horse is in full training? Does only the trainer ride your horse or does his/her assistant ride also? Do your horses get daily turnouts? Supplements? Also curious as to what others pay for training?

I pay full training board all year. I'm in NJ. We don't have an indoor, so winter work is limited, but we make up for it in the summer.

In the summer, it usually comes out to 3 lessons a week. So far this winter it's been about 1 per week. I haven't had my trainer ride my horse. My trainer comes to shows when she can - no extra $. It includes horse feed and turnout. I pay extra for farrier, supplements, and worming. She doesn't change blankets. I haven't been charged extra for holding for the vet.

Hope that helps.

It depends.

If the horse is being started under saddle, my trainer will work the horse 5 days a week for the first two or three months. After that, if the horse stays, the owner can have a lesson on the sixth day. When the horse is considered well started and the owner can take over more of the riding (this of course depends on the owner's skill, horse's temperament, etc).

If the horse is already under saddle, the owner gets to chose how many lessons a week they want. The horse still gets worked 5-6 days a week (it varies in winter, depending on the weather). However, the trainer won't ride more than 5 days a week, not counting days spent at shows.

Here, the assistant trainer doesn't typically ride the horse unless it's something that requires two people, like a first backing or teaching piaffe/passage. If money is tight, but the owner still wants the horse shown, the assistant will do it for a lower amount.

Included in board are the basics. Feed, blanketing, turn-out, grooming, and giving supplements.

Not included in board is farrier, vet, worming, or supplements. Owners have to pay for any show fees, plus the trainer's time at the show.

I'm in NC, and I've found that this is pretty typical. Depending on where you are, the cost ranges from $500-$1,200+.

I am in Bay Area and my barn includes the following for the full training:
    - Trainer's rides and/or lessons (we do not have a limited number of rides per week, its flexible)
    - Daily turnout and/or handwalking
    - Blanketing, grooming, clipping and supplements (full body clipping is extra)
    - Laundring services
    - Standing for farrier, vet, handling vet and farrier communication if needed
    - Horsies get checked upon after dinner and at midnight

At our place training is $800 per month.

At my stable, full training clients get a minimum of 5 training sessions/week (can be all training the horse, all lessons or any combination). If the client contracts to have *me* ride the horse, I ride the horse. Sometimes, when it is unspecified, a working student may ride the horse once or twice a week. Sometimes, a working student will have "the ride", and I may do one or two rides a week. The price reflects who rides the horse most of the time. In addition to the training, every client gets full board (custom feeding - up to four feeds/day, individual turnout, blanketing, booting, laundry, hand walking of required, medical care when indicated, holding for vet and farrier, etc). Full training clients also get full show care, day coaching at shows and/or riding at competitions at no extra cost. I would also give my full training clients the option to attend/audit clinics with my trainer, at no extra cost. When my trainer comes to help me, there is no extra charge to the client who owns the horse.

I think they get a fair deal, and so far, no one has complained :-) .
    Last edited by Liz Steacie; Jan. 13, 2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: speeling
    Liz Steacie
    Porcupine Hill Dressage
    Maitland, Ontario

http://www.porcupinehill.com

So far it looks like everyone has said five (or more) days a week. Does anyone else have less than 5 sessions a week as "full" training?
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

yes- 4 days a week here (in California) is full training
    Includes the rides/lessons with the trainer (not an assistant), tacking up andputting away, feeding grain.Dealing with farrier, chiro, vet included.
    Blanketing is extra
    Turnout is extra
    Handwalking is extra
    Lunging is extra
    Laundry is extra
    Supplements or medication administration is extra
    Coaching at shows is extra
    Care at shows is extra
    Clipping, mane pulling, bathing is extra

Welcome to California - land of "ala carte" horse keeping!

Training in California runs anywhere from $600 a month to $2000 a month (not including board). Varies by location and reputation of trainer!

Mine includes unlimited rides/hacks/lessons per week. Also includes all the usual stuff: daily grooming, tacking, turnout or handwalking, customized feed program, lounging if needed, taking care of vet/farrier/chiro/saddle fitter appointments, horse laundry (not blankets), wrapping/icing/cold hosing when needed, booting and blanketing, trimming, mane pulling, etc. I pay extra for coaching at shows.

I grew up riding in Westchester County, NY and there full training is FULL TRAINING.

Full training means 6 interactions a week, either the horse gets a pro ride or the owner gets a lesson.

These barns also provide full service horse care, with turnouts, blankets, any medical care, grooming and tack ups, free choice hay, etc etc.

An owner could leave to go on safari for 6 months, come back unnannounced and the horse would be in full work, top condition, and ready to step in the show ring tomorrow.

That is what "full" means in my dictionary.

Last I checked the general pricing for these barns in the Westchester area is $2,000 - $3,000 per month.

Dutchrules Guest

honeylips' arrangement sounds similar to the deal I get, although I do not pay extra for lunging.

I just got a fee schedule for a trainer in the LA area who charges $600 for full training which is 4 rides/lessons per week or a guarantee of 12 per month. This does not include any grooming services.

She's a fantastic trainer but not a BNT, so her rates are reasonable in my estimation. If I had a more sound horse I'd be in training with her.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Five rides/lessons a week at $50 each comes out to $1000/month. I don't know any really good trainer in my area that would do it that cheap. I haven't checked the rates for a long time, but it was considerably more than that 6 years ago.

A LOT depends on the trainer, the program the owner and trainer agree on, and what's included (all that ala carte silliness y'all do out there in CA lol). In my barn, true *full* training includes board, with daily t/o, (reasonable) blanket changes, feeding supps, all that. Depending on the horse, owner and the situation, the work the horse does could be a lesson, a ride, longing, or long lining, done by me (no WS). 5 days a week, weather permitting (no indoor). All said and done, full training for any of mine would be at about the $700 mark. Our BO charges insanely cheap board for NY! Which, for my clients, works out really well.

Last time I paid board it was 800 a month, (500 for board and 300 for training), but I did all the riding so it was basically just lessons 6 days a week and I got that rate because I rode some of the other horses that were in full training with the trainer. I didn't mind because I got to ride some fabulous horses. I could so never imagine paying 3000 a month for training!!!

Ala carte is not a California phenom, it happens everywhere. Some trainers charge by the service, others don't. Some charge a monthly "groom" fee, others don't. My friend's horse has been in full training for two years now but a pretty well known FEI trainer, and the monthly fee includes 5 days/week of either riding or lessons, daily turnout, coaching at shows or showing the horse (dependent on the trainer's schedule, and owner paying any travel costs required), blanketing/un, feeding supplements/grain (owner supplied), etc. The only extra charges are for clipping, trailering, or use of trainer's grain and/or supplements. I know a few smaller name trainers who do the same thing. I also know trainers who charge ala carte, and some who are kind of "in the middle".

I also have a friend on the East Coast who moved out of a trainer's barn where there were extra charges for everything. So it is not a region specific thing, but trainer specific.

Curious, posted prices, do they include board? I've seen prices for training AND board ranging from $800/month to $1500/month.

ETA - ToN, I don't think any "big name) trainer will do individual rides for $50 each, but a monthly commitment results in a lower cost/ride.

My area of PA training board is 1,200-1,500 6 days of week this includes board with Pro trainer only (no one else gets on the horse). Handwalking/lunging/long-lining if needed), turnout, supplements added, blankets/boots changed as needed, small things like face clip/mane pulls as needed, laundry, hot bran mash on sundays. Lessons discounted.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

This is for a hunter barn in eastern metro LA area. $525/month plus $525 board. Horse gets an activity 7 days a week. Lessons or rides 6 days a week. Entertainment by groom (TO or whatever) one day a week. Blanketing, lunging, grooming for trainer rides, feeding of lunch supplements (tho you provide your own), laundry all included. I have paid a periodic supply fee in the past, but not recently. Not sure what happens with other clients WRT supply fee. I don't use the barn stuff when I ride and I ride 4-5 days a week, plus I often loan/give the trainer stuff to use. It is extra ($100/month?) if you want groom service when you ride your horse. With the previous assistant trainer, the horses were somewhat divvied up and she had some rides and the trainer had others, tho there was some swapping.

Had a similar deal when with a dressage barn in the same area, except everything was 6 days a week. They didn't feed supplements/grain/etc or exercise horses or often even unblanket/blanket on Sundays
    The Evil Chem Prof

When maresy was in full training board, the cost was $1425/month. $725 was for "full board" which included hay (not free choice, but 5 flakes per day, more cost extra), grain, daily turnout, blanketing, "quick going over" type of grooming (e.g. getting big muddy spots out), and stall care. Holding for the vet/farrier/soaking etc. was a small charge beyond that, as was fuller grooming/clipping etc. I paid for farrier, vet, and supplements and provided all tack, blankets etc. though I was loaned a dressage saddle for a while.

$700 was for "training" which was 5 sessions of 30-45 minutes per week, split amongst lessons for me and rides by an *outstanding* working student. The trainer has a bad back and is limited in how much she can ride, so she tends to ride the UL/FEI horses, but she supervised all training rides. (She did get on maresy a few times, and said maresy gave her vertigo... a little sportscar Morgan is quite a different ride than a gigantic WB!) When I first had her in training, WS rode and I watched, and over time, the rides became less of the WS riding and more me riding, 3 times per week which was when I could have lessons. There was also a lot of consultation about shows, the trainer and her assistants helped me a lot with getting maresy over a fear of trailers, etc. It was a very supportive environment, even though I was way below the level of rider this trainer usually works with. Oh, and they cleaned my tack for me

Looking around, this is fairly typical pricing for my area, perhaps even a bit on the less expensive side compared to barns that are closer to Boston, where the board part of the equation can get much more pricey.

I've seen it both ways in SoCal. In my case it depended on whether I was at a public or private facility. At the private facilities, everything was included in the training/board cost. With the trainers who were working out of a public facility, everything was a la carte.

At the private facilities, I could have as many lessons as I could schedule. At the public facility, 3 lessons/rides a week were considered full training.

That said, the private facilities were also closed 1 and sometimes 2 days a week, so I couldn't ride at all on those days. Public facility: open basically 24-7 with a lit arena...

Vancouver area, smaller barn (under 20 horses). Full Training includes 5 rides/lessons a week, as well as coaching/riding at shows. Trainer may have an assistant/groom lunge but not ride with the exception of hopping on to cool out depending on the assistant and the horse.

Any extras like blanketing, turnout etc aren't really "extra" for us - it's a small barn, owned and run by the trainer, who manages all the horses as carefully as if they're her own.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."