The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beet pulp WITHOUT molasses - WHO sells it and WHERE?

Near to Lexington KY - so far TSC and Southern States all carry beet pulp, lots of it, and it's easy to get at the feed mills too, BUT it has all been dressed with molasses. I'm interested in using it for it's low starch value and I don't want to be serving my horse the equivalent of a sugar frosted bran flake. Does anyone have a brand name seller? Has anyone convinced a local feed store to add the product "just for them" or do I need to buy it by the ton? And how well will it keep?

I've searched the boards and there seem to be a few of us in the Midwest and South who are in my predicament.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

If there is a Poulin dealer near you they make a great beet pulp rolled in soy oil, no molasses. Quick to soak.

I just so happen to have my beet pulp in the house...where I dole it out and add hot water to sit. Outside it would freeze, and no heated tack room. I digress...

I use shredded non molasses, soy, etc just plain ol shredded beet pulp.

I get it at my Blue Seal/Poulin farm store. BTW, I don't like Poulins, its round and I don't want soy either. digress again.

The manufacturer listed on the bag is:
    Midwest-Agri Commodities
    999 Fifth Avenue, Suite 500
    San Rafael, California 94901

BTW, I live in NH, so if it can get here, it should be able to get to KY.

Good luck.

Default Another NH person

I had a horse who had to eat Beet Pulp, but was allergic to molasses. I bought my BP at Blue Seal. It was giant pellets. Similar in size to Blue Seal's Haystretcher. This Beet Pulp was 100% Beet Pulp.
    Beth

My SS in NC sells molasses free beet pulp - and molassesed BP.Have you asked them if they have any in the back, or if they can get any wo/ molasses?

Our SS in MD also has molassas free BP.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

To be honest with you I have only asked personally at the feed mill. DH reported to me that TSC and SS had only the molasses variety, which I checked, and it didn't occur to me to ask if they had it in the back.

Knowing that SS has it available in other states gives me hope, and ammunition to present to the store manager if it comes to that. Thanks everybody!
    Incredible Invisible

SS will usually order if you request - may depend on whether its a corporate or independent dealer (but I've had success with both on getting what I need when its not an item they keep in stock).

My independent SS dealer is great about getting in certain supplements / requests for me - and he now stocks them, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

I've never had any problem getting it without, just ask for that type at the feed store. I always check, though to make sure the warehouse guys have given me the correct type.

I get my Beet Pulp from Southern States and I have a choice of with or without molasses. I would check with them to see if they can carry without.

Ditto my Southern States local dealer. When I first started buying from them, they only had molasses-added. I politely informed the manager that there are a ton of horses out there who cannot have the added sugar (like my metabolic mare) and would they please start stocking the Plain Shreds. Done!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Blue Seal Beet Pulp pellets. No added molasses.

I LOVE this stuff and so do my horses. Google 'White Haven Farm', that where I get mine.

Speedi-Beet® is the revolutionary unmollassed sugar beet product product which can be prepared and ready to use in under 10 minutes, whilst other sugar beet products can take 24 hours to soak prior to use. It is convenient and advantageous for horse owners because it enables them to prepare the beet alongside their other feeds rather than having to plan long in advance. LESS EXPENSIVE PER SERVING COMPARED TO REGULAR BEET PULP SHREDS!

Speedi-Beet® is unmolassed and absorbs 5 times its own weight of water, it also contains 90% less starch and sugar than cerealsDue to its low starch and high fibre content, Speedi-Beet® is an ideal feed for horses and ponies prone to insulin resistance and can help in its prevention. It can also play a valuable role in the diet of animals fighting to recover from the condition. The Laminitis Trust, the country's leading charity for research into laminitis has awarded the prestigious official feed seal of approval to Speedi-Beet®.
    Among other beneficial features of Speedi-Beet® are:

It is extremely palatable and is an excellent top dressing
    Quick and convenient - no waste
    Improved nutrient availability
    Maintains condition especially when roughed off to under weight
    Excellent complimentary feedstuff to hard feed
    Optimises energy release rate
    Speedi-Beet® is produced by BRITISH HORSE FEEDS, Europe's leading manufacturer of micronized feeds.

Default TSC in VA has it plain

Hi there - our local Tractor Supply carries it plain. They just switched to a new bag - can't remember the brand name but it is yellow and only 25 pounds, looks like a dog food bag. The price is lower, so on a 50 pound basis cost is not higher. Have seen it at more than one TSC store, so perhaps you can get it too.

You could also give KBC a try, they have a store in Lexington
    http://www.kbchorsesupplies.com/

See if you can find a Buckley Bros dealer- that's where we get it!
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

I just bought some yesterday at my Southern States in Western NC

Thought I'd update on my search for molasses free beet pulp in Central KY. Southern States (nearest to me) has had it in stock before but is no longer able to get it, they buy their feed from a mill in KY which does not offer it. Period.
    I am really very disappointed in my Southern States, since one of the kids behind the desk said "oh yes, we used to get it all the time by mistake".

Tried the closest local feed mills, including a big one that makes race horse feeds, they truck it in without molasses but add molasses to settle the dust. They don't sell it without the molasses. Period.
    Finally got a product from TSC, 25 lbs of shreds that do not appear to have molasses, and 40 lbs of pellets that have molasses as a binder.

DH has quite the conspiracy theory going - he says they take $5 worth of beet pulp, $2 worth of molasses, and create a "value added" product that they charge $17 for. Maybe. I am really curious as to why I can't get it without molasses. Anyway we'll be trying the TSC products tomorrow.
    May be a moot point if the old guy won't eat it.
    Incredible Invisible

You have a PM!
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

I also use Blue Seal beet pulp pellets. They contain no added molasses.